Join Early Retirement Today

Mountain Trains in US?
Old 01-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mountain Trains in US?

Hi. Me again.

I want to take DW on a great mountain train ride in the US. My inspiration is the Vancouver to Banff train. Does anyone know of trains in the Rockies, Sierra Nevada, Cascades, etc that do scenic justice? We don't need on train fine dining or 5 day itinerary. Just a day or two of awesome mountain views.

The Vancouver gig is hard as we are in the Charlotte area, so just getting there and back is a big hike in itself.

Any upscale hobos with advice?

As always, sincere thanks.

Also, if the original Canada train is THE THING, please weigh in as well.

RB
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2019, 05:52 PM   #2
Administrator

Amtrak's California Zephyr between Denver and Salt Lake City. (that's the scenic mountain part; it runs from Chicago to San Francisco)

https://www.amtrak.com/california-zephyr-train
Old 01-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Take a look at the old narrow gauge train from Durango to silverton Colorado https://m.durangotrain.com
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #4

We took a tour from Vancouver to Banff, and part of it was an overnight train from Vancouver to Jasper. I have attached the trip story, If you have any questions, PM us.
Another poster also suggested the Colorado train. I have also posted a story about a number of trains in Colorado.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Western Canada 2015.pdf (1.68 MB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf Trains across Colorado 2005.pdf (441.7 KB, 9 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #5

We took The Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver to Banff a bit over ten years ago and we thought it was indeed THE THING. It was much like a land cruise with a guide/steward in every car. It was a two day trip and they put us up in a hotel at the halfway point in Kamloops. Service was amazing. It’s really just a hop further from the Cascades.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Take a look at the old narrow gauge train from Durango to silverton Colorado https://m.durangotrain.com
Done that. If you go, pay for the rear car. Otherwise it's an uncomfortable school bus like experience. It's only a short day trip. There is plenty to do around the area.

We haven't done this one yet. I'm told it's built opposite of the Durango Silverton railroad. I'd like to do it this fall.

ETA: You can do Durango one day and Chama, NM the next. It's only a couple hour drive.

https://cumbrestoltec.com/FB_IMG_1498589179494.jpeg
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
We took The Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver to Banff a bit over ten years ago and we thought it was indeed THE THING. It was much like a land cruise with a guide/steward in every car. It was a two day trip and they put us up in a hotel at the halfway point in Kamloops. Service was amazing. It’s really just a hop further from the Cascades.

It is a wonderful trip, but very pricey. The 2 day one night trip starts at $1250 per person.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

We’ve done the Cumbres & Toltec ride. We loved it but it’s not like the Durango train. Scenery is more like out of a western movie. Not very mountainous. It is great though.
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:06 PM   #9
gone traveling

I would recommend somewhere in the Alps.
Just pretend it is the USA.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I would recommend somewhere in the Alps.
Just pretend it is the USA.
Here you go
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BACKROADS OF SWITZERLAND 2012.pdf (1.82 MB, 13 views)
Old 01-05-2019, 09:03 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Try this .My friends did the Boston to Quebec tour and loved it

https://www.vacationsbyrail.com/unit...%20Travel%20US
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
It is a wonderful trip, but very pricey. The 2 day one night trip starts at $1250 per person.
Indeed. We were blowing that dough celebrating DW being done with her cancer treatments. Must have worked - she’s still around after almost 15 years.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #13

It's not the mountains, but this is a nice scenic train trip along the north shore of Lake Superior. It's especially popular during the fall color season starting in mid-September.
Agawa Canyon
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'd appreciate some comments concerning the availability of amenities and the competition to use them on these train excursions.

DW and I have become very intolerant of activities where reservations are not available to guarantee easy access to the amenities and activities we desire without being in competition with others for them. For example, we no longer go to concerts offering only first-come, first serve seating. We want our seats reserved and waiting for us without needing to arrive early to assure sitting together in a decent location. (Outdoor concerts with lawn seating are an exception to this though.)

We had a bad experience on a train tour where seating in the dome viewing area was quickly taken up by folks who then left jackets, etc. on the seats to hold them while they returned to their lower level seats, sometimes for extended periods of time. We'd go up looking for a chance to sit in the dome area, see that there were many empty seats but all had "stuff" piled on them from folks who got there first and wanted to hold them. Yuuuuuch........

There are many other scenarios I could describe, but I think those examples are typical of what we're very much trying to avoid. Any experiences from train traveling where "non-competitive sharing" was the norm and there was no need for aggressive behavior to get your slice of the pie? Needing to be aggressive or confrontational quickly sours a vacation experience for us.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
It's not the mountains, but this is a nice scenic train trip along the north shore of Lake Superior. It's especially popular during the fall color season starting in mid-September.
Agawa Canyon
Trains are my passion, and I just want to share our experiences with others. I hope nobody minds. I have attached a story of a fall color trip in New England.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NEW ENGLAND FALL FOLIAGE BY RAIL 2012.pdf (1.98 MB, 11 views)
Old 01-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I'd appreciate some comments concerning the availability of amenities and the competition to use them on these train excursions.

We had a bad experience on a train tour where seating in the dome viewing area was quickly taken up by folks who then left jackets, etc. on the seats to hold them while they returned to their lower level seats, sometimes for extended periods of time. We'd go up looking for a chance to sit in the dome area, see that there were many empty seats but all had "stuff" piled on them from folks who got there first and wanted to hold them. Yuuuuuch........
That is totally inconsiderate. This is akin to the "chair hogs" on cruise ships or at resorts.
I would have had a word with the tour manager.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
That is totally inconsiderate. This is akin to the "chair hogs" on cruise ships or at resorts.
I would have had a word with the tour manager.
I agree about folks being inconsiderate, for sure. But the thing DW and I are urgently trying to avoid (we've become sensitive to it) is needing to be confrontational or aggressive while trying to enjoy entertainment, dining or travel. Needing to "have a word" with the tour manager would be a sour experience for us. We'd rather, for example, pay extra to have our spots guaranteed.

Your example of "chair hogs" on cruise ships or at resorts is a good example of things that take the fun out of travel/entertainment for us and we find ourselves not returning to places where we experience that sort of thing.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:33 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Done that. If you go, pay for the rear car.
+1
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #19

Thanks all! As usual lots of great options!!
Old 01-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

It’s been a long time since I rode a train but we were able to reserve a sleeping room and dinner. The only time a train trip turned into a disaster was one winter when we went from Wisconsin to New York. Instead of a 12 hour trip it became 24 because of the ice on the tracks. Then they ran out of food. We had 3 small children. So as they came to a town food was brought to the train. They fed people by cars and we had breakfast at 1pm. After that I always carried food. We have probably ridden them at least 20 times.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote