Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by mostlydone View Post
I did the Chomolhari-Laya-Gasa trek in Bhutan with Canadian Himilayan Expeditions and found them to be decent and not as expensive as the other providers.
I'm doing the same trek with the same outfitter in October. Any tips?

For Everest Base Camp, some of the high end companies may charge $5000+, but there are a lot of outfitters that charge under $3000. Check out KE Adventure Travel or you could always book it with a Nepali operator for less.

It's pronounced JAY-FRIP-JAH.
jphripjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

tea houses on EBC (missing person flyers)
Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets
tea houses on EBC (missing person flyers)

It was a wild-ass guess as to how many people have gone missing on the EBC, but at every tea house that I went to there were flyers looking for people. 10-to-20 flyers at each tea house I went to (mostly different people...not the same person twenty times). In many places the trail is very steep and if you slide off the side of the trail you may never be found.

I liked the idea that someone would be able to initiate a rescue if I slipped.

bbbob57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado
I've done a number of treks in nepal over the years (including EBC), always as a FIT. There are many other independent trekkers on all the popular routes, so you'll never really be solo unless you want to be. If you're a reasonably competent/experienced backpacker here in the states then there's absolutely no good reason to waste money on an organized trip.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
OK, this thread is probably dead, but I feel compelled to leave my 2cents: I don't know if anyone keeps official track of how many people go missing on EBC, but I doubt that it's more than a few a year (I spent over 3 weeks doing the 3 passes trek recently and don't recall seeing a single missing person sign at the teahouses). But it's irrelevant - regardless of whether a few dozen or a few hundred have gone missing over the last 20 years, the biggest risk by far is the flight in (if you are flying into Lukla, something almost all guided groups will do).

A plane load of tourists perish every few years coming into Lukla due to the notoriously unsafe airlines and complete lack of modern equipment at the airport (it's hard to imagine they get by w/o a radar at Lukla). Lukla has been labeled one of the world's worst airports, and for good reason.

So not to scare anyone interested in doing the trek, but do note that you're kinda splitting hairs when you start talking about going missing on the trail.

Anyways, whether you're deciding whether to go solo or guided, do it because you value what each option provides, not because you're afraid something will go wrong with one or the other. And do note that guided trips have their own risks - being on a rigid schedule means you might be forced to acclimate faster than your body wants, have to hike while you have the squirts, lose out on sights because the team schedule conflicts with bad weather, etc.

And, as much as I love my solo trekking, the Nepalese need your guided tour money - if you can afford it, that extra $3000 will go a long ways towards improving the lives of everyone involved in your trip. Just make sure your money is going to a local company, not to a US/UK-based entity running the trek...

skyline is offline   Reply With Quote