Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
East of Nacogdoches.
So deep behind the Pine Curtain sunlight has to be piped in...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You're just jealous 'cause we have trees taller than 10'. The temps went from 62 this morning to 29 in a quick slide. I've got family in Knippa and it's even cold there!!!

Old 02-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
Next up for DW and me: A land tour of Moscow and Norway, coupled with a Scandinavia/St. Petersburg cruise in June.
It has been many years since I was in Norway, it is on my list so that I can visit my grandfather's birthplace before I die.

Oslo is one of my favorites, arriving via Oslofjorden is stunning. Frogner Park, and the museums are special places. I didn't go on a tour, just prepared well and wandered on my own. Eh, don't order strawberries at Holmekollen restaurant unless you have a lot of spare cash. [Family story.]
Old 02-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
what is the pine curtain? i never heard that before.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

That looks like a great trip and the the price seems pretty good especially since the airfare was probably 4k of it. We like Holland and are doing our 4th with them on a Baltic cruise in May.
kbst
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
what is the pine curtain? i never heard that before.
This one's mine.

I take it you're not from The Great State. The pine curtain to which REWahoo fondly referred is often called the The Piney Woods. With the exception of the Bastrop area (should be called the Stolen Pines of Texas instead of the Lost Pines because we're pretty sure they came from over here), there is a pretty clear line between the Piney Woods of East Texas and the rest of the state. East Texas is renown for their pine tree stands. Well, stands of all sort; but, most of the forests are pine with some hardwoods.

Oh, sure, the folks in the hill country say they have trees. We have TREES. Don't even ask the people in far West Texas if they have any 'cause they think mesquite scrubs are trees.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, east TX is just west LA
All coonasses and rednecks
Old 02-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #28

You really should get out more - the demographics have changed.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I am so jealous. Looks like a great cruise. I have had a South America/Antartica cruise on my long list, but DH hasn't been overly interested. Think I will show him your pictures...
Old 02-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #30

Antarctica cruise cut short after ship hits rock - CNN.com
Old 02-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I finally got a selection of my photos posted on a public website. This is just about one-tenth of the over 1800 pictures that DW and I took. Click here to see the pictures.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm glad I got home in one piece.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #33

My hat is off to you for putting captions on all the pictures. You must have amazing patience!

When we were on our Antarctica trip, another cruise ship ran aground. As you know, all ships with reasonable proximity to the distressed ship must respond; however, Le Diamant was far enough away it was not a first responder in this specific situation. Our ship was on notice in case things changed.

Think of the stories you could tell all your friends! I'm not sure what kind of accommodations were available to the tourists on South Shetland Islands. I wonder if they stayed at the station on Deception Island? I'm not sure it's big enough to accommodate very many people. It will be interesting to find out once they get back to the states.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Scott from Utah,
I got excited about the cruise you took and went on the Holland website to check it out. I just went back and the January cruise doesn't show up so it must be sold out. The December 20th holiday cruise is still there though.
I would have some trepidation going on a cruise for 17 days that only has 6 shore days. Did you feel you got close enough in Antartica to see enough to get your moneys worth? We love cruising with HAL but that seems like too many at sea days. I looked and it seems to be the case for all of the South American cruises. I'm not sure why? No good places to stop?
kbst
Old 02-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #35

That does seem like a small amount of shore days. We were on shore every day with the Le Diamant (Gohagan Travel) with the exception of one day due to weather and one travel day around the islands.

You need to allow two days each way for the Drake Passage. That still gives you 13 days. You're right, it just doesn't add up. Are you sure they're not including a few days in Buenos Aires on the front and back end of the cruise and maybe a side trip to the Iguazu Falls?
Old 02-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That does seem like a small amount of shore days. We were on shore every day with the Le Diamant (Gohagan Travel) with the exception of one day due to weather and one travel day around the islands.

You need to allow two days each way for the Drake Passage. That still gives you 13 days. You're right, it just doesn't add up. Are you sure they're not including a few days in Buenos Aires on the front and back end of the cruise and maybe a side trip to the Iguazu Falls?
No. Go to Holland's site and search the cruises in South America. They only have 1 that goes to Antartica and it's on the 3rd page.
kbst
Old 02-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbst View Post
Hi Scott from Utah,
I got excited about the cruise you took and went on the Holland website to check it out. I just went back and the January cruise doesn't show up so it must be sold out. The December 20th holiday cruise is still there though.
I would have some trepidation going on a cruise for 17 days that only has 6 shore days. Did you feel you got close enough in Antartica to see enough to get your moneys worth? We love cruising with HAL but that seems like too many at sea days. I looked and it seems to be the case for all of the South American cruises. I'm not sure why? No good places to stop?
kbst
We spent almost two days in Buenos Aires before the tour, spent a total of three "At Sea" days (days without anything to see except sea), and had shore days in Montevideo, Puerto Madryn, Falkland Islands, Ushuaia, Puerto Chacabuco (in place of Puerto Montt), Valparaíso/Viña del Mar, and almost two days in Santiago. So I felt that we had enough land tours at these 8 locations.

As for getting close enough, I was worried about that before the tour. My test of success was whether or not I was able to get good photos of individual penguins and seals and closeups of mountains and glaciers. Based on these pictures, I consider the "closeness" totally acceptable and well worth the trip. Of course, my 70-300mm telephone zoom lens made the closeup photos possible.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #38

The passengers were left at the Polish station on King George Island. They're now all on their way to Argentina (or maybe already there).

IAATO ships take on passengers from cruise ship that struck rock