Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

On our trip last year out west we also went to Bryce and Zion. While in Utah we had a blow out just past a Walmart that looked just like that one. We replaced all tires there so as to not have any more problems.

I cannot remember the name of the town but we stayed at a great state park near there called Sand Hollow. It was on a lake and one of the nicest state parks we have stayed in.

We really like Bryce and have some of the same pictures. We got rained out in part of Zion and the crowds were unbearable there for us.

Utah was an amazing state so much to see and do.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In Idaho, which we had never been to, we did not have the time to check out Hell Canyon like T-Al did in his recent trip. With an RV towing a toad, I needed to do a bit of research before tackling anything that appeared too rough. I also did not have the time. This was also put on the "next trip" list.

However, there were plenty of serendipitous finds along the way, like Twin Falls for example. We were thinking of just spending a night, but then discovered that this nice town was also the site of the Perrine Bridge where BASE jumping was legal.

It was a weekend, and there was some festivity going on, so there were a lot of jumpers. See the one jumper about to leap off below.

This jumper appeared to be a more experienced one, and he was bare-chested, had no protective clothing, no helmet. He also did not pre-open his chute and hang it over the rail like some others did.

They were supposed to land in a spot on the left bank of the Snake River, as you can see in the photo below.

On the other side of the bridge, there appeared to be a nice park or golf course. See photo below.

So, we found the drive down there, then tried to get as close to the bridge as possible. The photo below was the closest we could get to the bridge on foot, without using a boat.

Now, these jumpers made it look easy, but of course we know it was way harder than skydiving. Though the bridge appeared high, the whole thing was over in a matter of a few seconds. I took the following photo when something went wrong. I got there too late to see the actual jump, but someone said he only hurt his feet when landing and dragging his feet on rocks. I did see a guy who landed short, and ended up in the water. It was of course tough to get to shore swimming with the chute.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. DW and I still don't have a RV but we are already plotting our future road trips... I can't wait!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #24

NWB, Thanks for sharing photos and details of your trip. We want more!

P.S. How about some "wild" campgrounds i.e. unpaved. If you've seen one Walmart, you've seen 'em all
Old 10-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wonderful pics NWB. Sounds like you had a great time. How did your DW like it?

R
Old 10-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
NW-Bound refuses to post pictures of his house, because someone on the forum might figure out where he lives!
Absolutely not true! Proofs provided as links below.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post800582

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post801262

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post936069

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
Utah was an amazing state so much to see and do.
Yes. So are Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. So many places, so little time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. DW and I still don't have a RV but we are already plotting our future road trips... I can't wait!
Of course you cannot wait! But aren't FIREd people known for their ability to delay gratification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
NWB, Thanks for sharing photos and details of your trip. We want more!

P.S. How about some "wild" campgrounds i.e. unpaved. If you've seen one Walmart, you've seen 'em all
Thanks for the compliments.

Yes, we stayed in some "real" campgrounds. But I just wanted to point out that not all Walmart lots were alike. The example I showed was a nice one with the mountain in the background, and I just wished there were more like that when we were en route and simply needed a place to park for the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Wonderful pics NWB. Sounds like you had a great time. How did your DW like it?
R
My wife loved it. With RV, one either likes it or he (she) doesn't. I knew going in that it would work out for us. Her only complaint was that the shower stall was too tiny for her to wash her long hair (not really long, but to the mid of her back).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My wife loved it. With RV, one either likes it or he (she) doesn't. I knew going in that it would work out for us. Her only complaint was that the shower stall was too tiny for her to wash her long hair (not really long, but to the mid of her back).
What worked for us was to take out the straight shower rod and replace it with a piece of PVC about one and a half times as long with the ends taper cut to make a curved rod. This really improved the size of the shower. The next thing we added was a longer hose to the shower head and a soap caddy. With these changes we have done over 100 days in the camper in the last year and 79 of them were on just two trips. It seems we customize it to our like each trip while we are on the road.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

NW, have you seen these? Extend-A-Shower RV Shower Rod - RV Park Supplies
Old 10-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

LOL!

Audrey
Old 10-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I cut my long hair for RVing! It used to be hip length, and I cut it to mid back for the RV. And mid-back is still considered long BTW.

But until we upgraded to the Class A with large shower, I would go to the campground showers to wash my hair. It was not very easy to do in the Casita shower - I tell you!

Audrey
Old 10-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the rod suggestions. Perhaps that's all I need to keep my wife happy.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Love the photos. I purchased that particular camera a couple years ago for Brenda -- very pleased with it. (I don't use it because it doesn't capture in RAW.)

Anyway, we were really close to each other. We drove from Denver to Mesa Verde (2 days) then to Moab (1 day) then met friends in Fallon, NV (on US 50, the "Loneliest Road In America") and took the Amtrak Zephyr from Reno to Chicago and then on the Washington DC (10 days), where I am right now. On the way back home (may go to California and south, however), we will go through the Salt Flats and SLC.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Spectacular photos, NW-Bound!!! Wow. Looks like you had a terrific trip, and think you are now a seasoned RV traveler.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the rod suggestions. Perhaps that's all I need to keep my wife happy.
Must resist slow pitch...

Looks like you had a great trip. I take it you won't wait until September next year to get started?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Old 10-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

We need a new archive for posts like that one.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Ahem...

Let's get back to RV'ing, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I purchased that particular camera a couple years ago for Brenda -- very pleased with it. (I don't use it because it doesn't capture in RAW.)

Anyway, we were really close to each other. We drove from Denver to Mesa Verde (2 days) then to Moab (1 day) then met friends in Fallon, NV (on US 50, the "Loneliest Road In America") and took the Amtrak Zephyr from Reno to Chicago and then on the Washington DC (10 days), where I am right now. On the way back home (may go to California and south, however), we will go through the Salt Flats and SLC.
From what I read on the Web, I thought this SX210IS model was out just earlier in 2010. In any case, I am happy with this little compact gem. It also takes HD video at 720p, but in that mode, eats memory like crazy.

Your itinerary shows a lot of driving! I like to drive slower and linger at each place a little longer. If it weren't for a family gathering that was scheduled in advance and we were committed, I would have taken longer on the trip that I just concluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Spectacular photos, NW-Bound!!! Wow. Looks like you had a terrific trip, and think you are now a seasoned RV traveler.
Yes, we had a great time. However, I will have to defer the status "seasoned" until next year, after our Alaskan trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Looks like you had a great trip. I take it you won't wait until September next year to get started?
Meaning going on another trip, or to Alaska?

It's too cold for any northern trip now. I currently do not have any plan for another trip yet this winter or next spring, but something may just spontaneously happen. The motorhome tank has been cleaned out, and its engine oil changed. Just a gasoline fill up, and she is ready to roll.

Life is good!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #38

Quote:
I currently do not have any plan for another trip yet this winter or next spring, but something may just spontaneously happen. The motorhome tank has been cleaned out, and its engine oil changed. Just a gasoline fill up, and she is ready to roll.
You should plan something soon - 'use it or lose it' applies to both people and RV's. If you don't use it, the neighborhood mice will.

We try to take a trip every 6 weeks or so even if it is only for two or three days.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You should plan something soon - 'use it or lose it' applies to both people and RV's.
Were your referring to the RV or just the new rod?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

What?!?!? Someone is getting a new rod?