Join Early Retirement Today

Nashville - one day stay
Old 02-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Nashville - one day stay

Does anyone have thoughts they can share for a quick one day stop in Nashville?

Thanks
jpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What are your interests? E.g., if big country music fan vs. serious foodie who is going to be traveling with a month or more notice. (hang out on honky tonk row vs. make Catbird Seat reservation 30 days in advance at midnight)
Old 02-11-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd be hitting the honky tonks of Lower Broadway downtown. They also have tours that take you around to the homes of the stars.

Nashville's one of those cities that's worthy of a far longer than a 1 day stay. Despite being the Music City, it's also quite a Foodie Town.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I'd be hitting the honky tonks of Lower Broadway downtown. They also have tours that take you around to the homes of the stars.

Nashville's one of those cities that's worthy of a far longer than a 1 day stay. Despite being the Music City, it's also quite a Foodie Town.
Note that "music city" is not limited to just one genre; we were a bit bummed by the thought of "only country" live shows when we moved here, but whatever your tastes may be, there probably will be a suitable live band playing at one or more places in town--and the lines between the genres can get pretty blurry!
Old 02-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I recommend going for at least 2 weekdays. Hopefully weekdays are less crowded than the weekend that we were there.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:42 PM   #6

We were just there and enjoyed Broadway & the Blue Bird. E. Nashville is going & hip. Loved the biking around town but not a one day activity. I think you'll enjoy it
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Broadway & 2nd Ave will always be hopping. You can find lots of different genres of music. One of our favorites is "The Big Bang" with Dualing Piano's. That's a lot of fun.

For Food, I'd recommend any of these:
1. Gabby Burgers (Best Burgers & Sweet Potato Fries this side of the Mississippi and close to downtown)
2. The Pharmacy (#2 Burger Joint in my eyes)
3. Hattie B's (Great Hot chicken, although, great original fried if you aren't in to the spicy stuff)
4. 400 Degrees (Again, a hot chicken place hole in the wall)
5. Mas Taco's ~ Hip Taco Joint in East Nashville
6. Kayne Prime (If you are looking for the best steak in Nashville) -- Get their Lobster/Popcorn Appetizer

Like others have stated .... Nashville is ATLEAST a 2-3 day town, if not longer. Catching a Predators Game, or hitting up one of the many watering holes is always fun. Checking out the gardens at the Opry or shopping Opry Mills is always cool too. You can't go wrong in Nashville
DROPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #8

Adding to Dropout's fine list (although I think Kayne Prime is overpriced): Otaku South Ramen Cheap, authentic, no reservations taken; Prince's Chicken--the original Nashville Hot; Arnold's Meat and Three; Monells; Fido (maybe best for breakfast).

And, if you are into fine dining, I'd personally recommend these over Kayne (but, we prefer our steak at home):

1. Catbird Seat--for big budget, adventuresome foodies who like fixed price chef's dinner. If you do the drink pairings, plan on $425 for 2--definitely not for everyone and you should get your reservation at midnight, 30 days before.

Then, in no particular order (and substantially cheaper):
2. Husk--many think this is better than the original. Sean Brock started here (at the Hermitage Capital Grille) and has apparently moved back from Charleston)
3. Rolf & Daughters
4. City House
5. Etch
6. Le Sel
Old 02-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

LoL! You can tell, I tend to eat the not so great food! LoL

Was never much of a fan of Husk. Love Etch .... Went to a business lunch at Husk and was just never impressed.

I do agree on Kayne Prime ... It is overpriced ... A cheaper alternative, but still good would be Urban Grub on 12 South.

Forgot to add to this list. Cheap, good Thai food = Tai Phoo Ket. I'm there atleast once a week And Absolutely 100% yes on Arnold's. Wish they would finish up their remodel. I'm there once a week as well, but try to go in quite late right before they close so we don't have to stand in line!
Old 02-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPOUT View Post

Forgot to add to this list. Cheap, good Thai food = Tai Phoo Ket. I'm there atleast once a week And Absolutely 100% yes on Arnold's. Wish they would finish up their remodel. I'm there once a week as well, but try to go in quite late right before they close so we don't have to stand in line!
Tai Phoo Ket--"Trailer Thai"

I agree. Definitely not the most impressive place from the outside, but YUM at a very attractive price.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Nashville Day Trip

Boy, I wish we could stay for a few days, but we will be at the end of a month-long road trip from the Rockies and will only have the one day as a stop-over.
So I need a neighborhood that has some walk-in music and good food. Hopefully we will be able to get back to Nashville for a longer stay as we are only 6 hours away. So this visit is just a quick introduction to what we can look forward to next time.

Thanks for all the suggestions. (Keep them coming if you have more to share.)
jpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjr View Post
Boy, I wish we could stay for a few days, but we will be at the end of a month-long road trip from the Rockies and will only have the one day as a stop-over.
So I need a neighborhood that has some walk-in music and good food. Hopefully we will be able to get back to Nashville for a longer stay as we are only 6 hours away. So this visit is just a quick introduction to what we can look forward to next time.

Broadway and Second Honky Tonks are your answer. There is a lot of food there too. Merchants, Pinewood Social, Acme Feed and Seed and a bunch of others, including our favorite local sushi bar: Ichiban. Also, the Thai place that DROPOUT first mentioned is a short walk across the river--right across from the football stadium.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjr View Post

I'd stay downtown. Its not like other downtown/metropolitan areas. Very safe, all they way up through 3-4am ...

Find a VRBO or one of the many hotels within the circle of freeways. The OMNI is nice and the newest, but is a bit further away from the action. The Hilton Nashville Downtown is quite nice and right across the street from Bridgestone (which is on Broadway) and The Country Music Hall of Fame and is probably the best centrally located Hotel ... Although the Renaissance is right there too.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #14

Agree again with Dropout; stay near downtown. Safe enough for my wife to walk alone the few blocks from the symphony to my office.

For hotels, you might want to look at the Doubletree--four blocks from Broadway and an easy walk, but cheaper than some referenced and good bang for the buck. Also, fwiw, Lyft and Uber are both fully operational here if you with to indulge in drinks while hitting the honky tonks.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:48 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Good town for craft beers. We went to Yazoo and Jackalope. Went to a Blackhawks-Predators game. Agree that it's best to stay downtown, but we stayed in an Airbnb house about 10 minutes from downtown.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I grew up in Nashville in the 50's and 60's, and I've been really proud on how the region has grown. It's a megopolis from Bowling Green to Huntsville, in reality.

We used to keep our eyes out for charity musical events, some of which were not well publicized. We The Oak Ridge Boys and Garth Brooks at The Stockyards in the downstairs bar for $20. Such occasions occur during the week usually, as there so many musicians in Winter off the road looking for something to do. If you know where to go, you can catch Big and Rich and Grechen Wilson often in their favorite watering hole.

And don't forget 3rd and Lindsley on Monday nights with Vince Gills hobby band playing--The Time Jumpers.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:22 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Very timely thread. Looking to take a mini vacation to Nashville at the end of March - planning to stay 3-4 days. Was looking at homeaway and airbnb. Realize that downtown would be ideal, but with the number of kids, it gets kind of expensive (especially when there is this $150 Nashville cleaning fee tacked on top of the short term rental. ).

So, have been looking a bit further afield. A couple that looked pretty good were along a bike greenway east of the city and east of the river. Is this area pretty good?

Another option was potentially camping, but nothing seems close and am a bit unsure about the weather at that time of year.

Never have been to Nashville before. Kids are all country music fans, so we will try and do the Hall of Fame, Opryland, etc. Foodies - not so much. Most meals will probably be eaten back at the rental or takeaway from a Panera type place.
eastnortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastnortheast View Post
Very timely thread. Looking to take a mini vacation to Nashville at the end of March - planning to stay 3-4 days. Was looking at homeaway and airbnb. Realize that downtown would be ideal, but with the number of kids, it gets kind of expensive (especially when there is this $150 Nashville cleaning fee tacked on top of the short term rental. ).

So, have been looking a bit further afield. A couple that looked pretty good were along a bike greenway east of the city and east of the river. Is this area pretty good?

Another option was potentially camping, but nothing seems close and am a bit unsure about the weather at that time of year.

Never have been to Nashville before. Kids are all country music fans, so we will try and do the Hall of Fame, Opryland, etc. Foodies - not so much. Most meals will probably be eaten back at the rental or takeaway from a Panera type place.
The Greenway meanders about quite a bit. I'd use google satellite to zoom in and take a gander at the neighborhoods. You can count on the weather here to be completely unpredictable in March.

If you or the kids are into history, I've heard great things about the Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's estate/museum) in, naturally, the Hermitage sub-city of Nashville. (15 minutes, max, from airport, 20-25 from downtown). Still haven't made it there. :-(
Old 02-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

NashTrash Tours

I recommend a NashTrash tour. Bus tour, less than two hours long , live music and comic commentary.
We did the Music Row Confidential which was a good drive along Music Row, and major tourist route of sights.
Takes off from Market near Capitol.
Very enjoyable, affordable and good use of time to see town.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:07 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Timely for us, also. We are headed to Nashville for three days in early June. Found a place on vrbo in "The Nations" area.

Looks like we are going to have some fun. Anybody recommend/not recommend The Parthenon? That is on our (tentative) list.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote