Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry night View Post
I recommend a NashTrash tour. Bus tour, less than two hours long , live music and comic commentary.
We did the Music Row Confidential which was a good drive along Music Row, and major tourist route of sights.
Takes off from Market near Capitol.
Very enjoyable, affordable and good use of time to see town.
forgot to thank poster for this interesting recommendation. Definitely going to look into it.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like we're finally heading to Nashville for a day or three in June. We'll stop by on the way to Mammoth Cave where we hope to go down in the caves one or two days.

This will be with 3 kids (4, 9, and 11 at the time of the trip). Any kid-centric activities? It's going to be June so hot as crap I expect. Is the Capitol building and grounds worth a visit? Anything else right around there? Might just do 1 full day in Nashville.

Nashville is more of a pitstop on the way to Mammoth Cave and then we go north to Toronto (via Detroit) and return to the US through Niagara Falls (and stay a few nights there). Heading back to Raleigh I think we'll stay near DC and hit the Air n Space museum by the airport and see the space shuttle (kids didn't really know what that is!).
Old 02-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Timely for us, also. We are headed to Nashville for three days in early June. Found a place on vrbo in "The Nations" area.

Looks like we are going to have some fun. Anybody recommend/not recommend The Parthenon? That is on our (tentative) list.
I haven't actually been in it, just all around it. ($6 adults, $4 kids, and we are too cheap for our own good sometimes....)

From outside, pretty cool, and full size replica that was never used to store ammunition.... Basically, this is more true to the original than the original is (ignoring the siting). The park in which it sits has a lot of good free music in the summer--especially if you are coming on a weekend.

Another idea (for FUEGO too) is the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's estate.

I'd recommend against the Nashville zoo--although we were SO spoiled in St. Louis, it is not really fair to compare....
Old 02-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

NashTrash Music Row Confidential passes Parthenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
forgot to thank poster for this interesting recommendation. Definitely going to look into it.
Thanks for your "shout-out". The Music a Row Confidential route will take you by Parthenon (and through Vanderbilt campus).
See NashTrash.com.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Resurrecting a thread...We are off to Nashville on a last-minute whim with another couple for the last week of Dec, including New Years Eve. First-timers, we grabbed rooms just east of Vanderbilt as a placeholder since everything downtown seemed crazy expensive ($250+)but if someone has a little known gem of a hotel they can recommend, I’d be thankful.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've been going to Nashville lately for work and hotels are more expensive then I expected! Staying next week at the Lowes for $184/nite and a colleague mentioned the Doubletree came up around $150 for the week of the 18th but that is really low. The good thing is Uber is plentiful and reasonable. Also, many of the hotels seem to have a free shuttle that will take you anywhere within 3 miles which should get you anywhere DT from Vanderbilt area. Have a fun trip!
3moreyears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3moreyears View Post
I've been going to Nashville lately for work and hotels are more expensive then I expected! Staying next week at the Lowes for $184/nite and a colleague mentioned the Doubletree came up around $150 for the week of the 18th but that is really low. The good thing is Uber is plentiful and reasonable. Also, many of the hotels seem to have a free shuttle that will take you anywhere within 3 miles which should get you anywhere DT from Vanderbilt area. Have a fun trip!

Thanks, the Loews is the one we have reserved too, just don’t have a good grasp of the area and distance downtown. Man, some of those downtown hotels are charging $500 and up per night for New Years Weekend! Turns out Keith Urban is headlining a free NYE concert, so it is gonna be a crowded house.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
Thanks, the Loews is the one we have reserved too, just don’t have a good grasp of the area and distance downtown. Man, some of those downtown hotels are charging $500 and up per night for New Years Weekend! Turns out Keith Urban is headlining a free NYE concert, so it is gonna be a crowded house.
Loews/Vandy is a reasonable, medium-long stroll to the heart of Broadway/Ryman/Acme if the weather is nice (less than 2 miles). Otherwise, easy Lyft or Uber. As always, watch out for surge pricing if going back out of Broadway area after festivities.

(restaurants in Germantown are a bit farther--say three miles or so, and a little more confusing walkpath)

Hotel prices here are insane for a middle-sized city--and the last week of December is a compounding factor.

Have you looked at AirBnB? We run into lots of visitors who go that route and seem happy with it.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We went up to Nashville two weeks ago for the night. After visiting town, we went down to Franklin to spend the night reasonably. Even Brentwoos/Cool Springs is more affordable from the Vandy area 15 minutes away.

Leaving Franklin, we drove out to Leiper's Fork and south of tbere. That is where many big stars and music moguls (including the Judds, Vince & Amy and Justin Timberlake) live.

Those unfamiliar with the area would have a hard time believing the estate properties and absolutely incredible homes of Williamson County, Tennessee. Homes of 10,000 to 20,000 square feet sitting on 40 acres of plush rolling hills is the norm. The Judds homes are each on 850 acres.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post

Quick follow up on our stay. We had a blast in Nashville! The Loews Vanderbilt was an awesome stay at @ $165/night, including a shuttle to downtown. Great music, didn’t have a bad meal, friendly folks, all was good. Only downer were the drunken numbskull 20-year olds (mostly girls, surprisingly) in the crowd on New Years Eve for the free Cheap Trick/Keith Urban concert. We’ll go back again when the weather is above 20 degrees.