Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Got mine at Hawaii Volcanoes NP in June. Turned 62 in April. Already took advantage of the half price camping for Sequoia National Forest. It is accepted when making reservations on the recreation.gov site.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 12:59 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

So does the $80 pass for those under $65 also include half off camping and other rec fees like the golden age pass does? What other benefits does the $80 pass have? Is it good for 12 months, or just the current calendar year?

Sent from my EVO using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 09-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, we are on our first ER road trip, Texas to Utah, camping with a mix of hotels. Had no idea it was so cheap to camp, and the nps parks are beautiful. Had one in New Mexico to ourselves last night, just beautiful, and had elk walk right by our tent about 1 am, scary! Paid 6 bucks and that's without the golden age pass. Headed thru Colorado tomorrow. What fun!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This year you can get a pass to all the National Parks just by being a 4th grader - Every Kid in a Park. It allows one carful of people into any of the parks for the entire school year. Nice deal, since I'm not quite 60 but have a DGD who just started 4th grade.
Lucky Yanks
Old 09-01-2015, 11:15 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Lucky Yanks

Good deal for you guys....here in the Great White North of Canada...we pay $56 per person per year for a senior park pass (;
Need to look after those bears. Sigh....I love our parks...guess its a small price to pay.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:26 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit View Post
Good deal for you guys....here in the Great White North of Canada...we pay $56 per person per year for a senior park pass (;
Need to look after those bears. Sigh....I love our parks...guess its a small price to pay.
Can't believe the camping fees in Canada. I used to love to go to Algonquin, but it is pushing $50 a night, with no electricity.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Coincidentally I'm buying the pass later today. I'm not 62 however, so my cost will be $80. My wife and I are going to see all 5 NPs in southern Utah in September. Individually the cost would be $90, so I guess I saved $10 and can use it again until this time next year.
We too decided to visit the NPs in southern Utah this month, using our lifetime pass.....a road trip from ORegon with our camper. Unfortunately, we found that all campsites are full until October. Are you camping, and if so, how far in advance did you have to reserve a campsite?
Old 09-02-2015, 07:35 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Can't believe the camping fees in Canada. I used to love to go to Algonquin, but it is pushing $50 a night, with no electricity.
Those fees have definitely cooled my interest in RVing up nort. But you have to give them credit on successfully figuring out out how to keep out the riff-raff from the south.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
This year you can get a pass to all the National Parks just by being a 4th grader - Every Kid in a Park.
Thanks! DW's grandniece is in 4th grade - I just sent them that link if they didn't already know about it.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #30
Confused about dryer sheets

I got the free pass for active duty military for several years (wasn't available until ~5-6 years ago, I think). Once I retired, I found out that the Access Pass is free for anyone with a disability (definitely VA & SSA, but the guidelines are otherwise a little less clear). Padre Island National Seashore...
Old 09-03-2015, 01:29 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoseeker View Post
We too decided to visit the NPs in southern Utah this month, using our lifetime pass.....a road trip from ORegon with our camper. Unfortunately, we found that all campsites are full until October. Are you camping, and if so, how far in advance did you have to reserve a campsite?
The trick to southern Utah is camping off national park lands. Or for us "non-old" people who don't get a national parks pass every year, it can be a cheap way to see some amazing things (see my avatar for example). The other trick for us youngsters is to go early. For example, Rmnp doesnt care if you enter before the rangers show up. They are also very vague on the hours they keep.

If one is willing to go without electricity, there are a plethora of "dispersed camping" sites, usually on blm land in southern Utah.

We got a "parks pass" this year. 3 months in we've only saved about $50. But, I don't have to deal with the ahole concessionaire at Brainard lake near Denver.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

This reminds me that we will be going to Smoky Mtn. Natl Park in 3 weeks. I will have to spend the $10 for the lifetime pass as I now 62. At least that is one good thing about turning 62.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:23 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Replying to:
This reminds me that we will be going to Smoky Mtn. Natl Park in 3 weeks. I will have to spend the $10 for the lifetime pass as I now 62. At least that is one good thing about turning 62.

By all means, get that Lifetime pass, but ironically Great Smoky Mtns NP is one of the few WITHOUT an entry fee.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
The trick to southern Utah is camping off national park lands. Or for us "non-old" people who don't get a national parks pass every year, it can be a cheap way to see some amazing things (see my avatar for example). The other trick for us youngsters is to go early. For example, Rmnp doesnt care if you enter before the rangers show up. They are also very vague on the hours they keep.

If one is willing to go without electricity, there are a plethora of "dispersed camping" sites, usually on blm land in southern Utah.

We got a "parks pass" this year. 3 months in we've only saved about $50. But, I don't have to deal with the ahole concessionaire at Brainard lake near Denver.
FYI, I really had good experiences with the Utah state park system in southern Utah.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
Just picked up our National Park Pass for seniors - you have to be 62 or older - for only $10, lifetime. Gives you admission to national parks.

Senior Pass
  • $10 Lifetime pass
  • For U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over.
  • May be obtained in person at a federal recreation site or through the mail using this application form. The cost of obtaining a Senior Pass through the mail is twenty dollars ($20). Ten ($10) for the Senior Pass and ten ($10) for processing the application. Applicants must provide documentation of age and residency or citizenship.
  • May provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services.
  • Generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.
I would be interested in any that already have a pass, any problems they have encountered, and I'm sure there are some great stories from those that already have one
Great value - Got one last yr. when we visited Glacier.

No negatives but if you lose it or forget to bring it you have to buy another one since there is no database of people that purchased them.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #36
Confused about dryer sheets

Slightly Off Topic: Camp Stamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We also use our pass in U.S. Forest Service properties...
I didn't know you could use a pass for Forest Service campgrounds. If no one objects, I'll post this tangential reminder about vintage 'Camp Stamps' because I don't know the proper forum to mention them. Some of you might be old enough to remember the short-lived Camp Stamp program that ran from 1985-88. I bought them and used them. If you have any unused Camp Stamps left forgotten somewhere like in a RV sock drawer, please do not use them for their intended purpose, because now they are very rare and valuable to revenue stamp collectors. A pink 50 'Camp Stamp' like the one on this page recently sold at auction for $575.
http://www.rdhinstl.com/rev/camp.jpg
Old 12-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #37

I'm not old enough for the senior pass but bought an $80 one this year. My wife and I used it all over Colorado and Arizona and still saved a bunch of money. It was foolproof and fantastic.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:01 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

$10 lifetime senior pass is best deal around. Read an article a few weeks ago and that price may raise to $80 for the lifetime senior pass soon. Even at $80 this pass is a steal. Plan on getting ours in May 2016, hope it is still $10 but will gladly pay $80 if it goes up.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-31-2015, 03:12 PM   #39

Picked mine up today down in Hollister. They copy your name and address from your driver's license onto a ledger. The lady that helped me said that while they still asked for a driver's license for the senior pass, the free disabled pass just requires you to sign a form saying you are disabled. They hand out a lot of those.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:38 AM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

My husband turns 62 this April and is looking forward to picking up the pass when we are in NH this summer at the visitor center in Lincoln.

My brotherinlaw picked one up this past summer when he was up there with us. He was thrilled, which was so funny since he never travels anywhere! LOL!