National Park Pass

Good deal for you guys....here in the Great White North of Canada...we pay $56 per person per year for a senior park pass (;
Need to look after those bears. Sigh....I love our parks...guess its a small price to pay.
Can't believe the camping fees in Canada. I used to love to go to Algonquin, but it is pushing $50 a night, with no electricity.

Coincidentally I'm buying the pass later today. I'm not 62 however, so my cost will be $80. My wife and I are going to see all 5 NPs in southern Utah in September. Individually the cost would be $90, so I guess I saved $10 and can use it again until this time next year.

We too decided to visit the NPs in southern Utah this month, using our lifetime pass.....a road trip from ORegon with our camper. Unfortunately, we found that all campsites are full until October. Are you camping, and if so, how far in advance did you have to reserve a campsite?

Can't believe the camping fees in Canada. I used to love to go to Algonquin, but it is pushing $50 a night, with no electricity.

Those fees have definitely cooled my interest in RVing up nort. But you have to give them credit on successfully figuring out out how to keep out the riff-raff from the south. :)

I got the free pass for active duty military for several years (wasn't available until ~5-6 years ago, I think). Once I retired, I found out that the Access Pass is free for anyone with a disability (definitely VA & SSA, but the guidelines are otherwise a little less clear). Padre Island National Seashore...

We too decided to visit the NPs in southern Utah this month, using our lifetime pass.....a road trip from ORegon with our camper. Unfortunately, we found that all campsites are full until October. Are you camping, and if so, how far in advance did you have to reserve a campsite?

The trick to southern Utah is camping off national park lands. Or for us "non-old" people who don't get a national parks pass every year, it can be a cheap way to see some amazing things (see my avatar for example). The other trick for us youngsters is to go early. For example, Rmnp doesnt care if you enter before the rangers show up. They are also very vague on the hours they keep.

If one is willing to go without electricity, there are a plethora of "dispersed camping" sites, usually on blm land in southern Utah.

We got a "parks pass" this year. 3 months in we've only saved about $50. But, I don't have to deal with the ahole concessionaire at Brainard lake near Denver.

This reminds me that we will be going to Smoky Mtn. Natl Park in 3 weeks. I will have to spend the $10 for the lifetime pass as I now 62. At least that is one good thing about turning 62.

Replying to:
This reminds me that we will be going to Smoky Mtn. Natl Park in 3 weeks. I will have to spend the $10 for the lifetime pass as I now 62. At least that is one good thing about turning 62.

By all means, get that Lifetime pass, but ironically Great Smoky Mtns NP is one of the few WITHOUT an entry fee.

The trick to southern Utah is camping off national park lands. Or for us "non-old" people who don't get a national parks pass every year, it can be a cheap way to see some amazing things (see my avatar for example). The other trick for us youngsters is to go early. For example, Rmnp doesnt care if you enter before the rangers show up. They are also very vague on the hours they keep.

If one is willing to go without electricity, there are a plethora of "dispersed camping" sites, usually on blm land in southern Utah.

We got a "parks pass" this year. 3 months in we've only saved about $50. But, I don't have to deal with the ahole concessionaire at Brainard lake near Denver.

FYI, I really had good experiences with the Utah state park system in southern Utah.

Just picked up our National Park Pass for seniors - you have to be 62 or older - for only $10, lifetime. Gives you admission to national parks.

Senior Pass

• $10 Lifetime pass
  • For U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over.
  • May be obtained in person at a federal recreation site or through the mail using this application form. The cost of obtaining a Senior Pass through the mail is twenty dollars ($20). Ten ($10) for the Senior Pass and ten ($10) for processing the application. Applicants must provide documentation of age and residency or citizenship.
  • May provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services.
  • Generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.
I would be interested in any that already have a pass, any problems they have encountered, and I'm sure there are some great stories from those that already have one

Great value - Got one last yr. when we visited Glacier.

No negatives but if you lose it or forget to bring it you have to buy another one since there is no database of people that purchased them.

Slightly Off Topic: Camp Stamps

We also use our pass in U.S. Forest Service properties...
I didn't know you could use a pass for Forest Service campgrounds. If no one objects, I'll post this tangential reminder about vintage 'Camp Stamps' because I don't know the proper forum to mention them. Some of you might be old enough to remember the short-lived Camp Stamp program that ran from 1985-88. I bought them and used them. If you have any unused Camp Stamps left forgotten somewhere like in a RV sock drawer, please do not use them for their intended purpose, because now they are very rare and valuable to revenue stamp collectors. A pink 50¢ 'Camp Stamp' like the one on this page recently sold at auction for $575.
http://www.rdhinstl.com/rev/camp.jpg

I'm not old enough for the senior pass but bought an $80 one this year. My wife and I used it all over Colorado and Arizona and still saved a bunch of money. It was foolproof and fantastic.

$10 lifetime senior pass is best deal around. Read an article a few weeks ago and that price may raise to $80 for the lifetime senior pass soon. Even at $80 this pass is a steal. Plan on getting ours in May 2016, hope it is still $10 but will gladly pay $80 if it goes up.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Picked mine up today down in Hollister. They copy your name and address from your driver's license onto a ledger. The lady that helped me said that while they still asked for a driver's license for the senior pass, the free disabled pass just requires you to sign a form saying you are disabled. They hand out a lot of those.

My husband turns 62 this April and is looking forward to picking up the pass when we are in NH this summer at the visitor center in Lincoln.

My brotherinlaw picked one up this past summer when he was up there with us. He was thrilled, which was so funny since he never travels anywhere! LOL!

Just picked up our National Park Pass for seniors - you have to be 62 or older - for only $10, lifetime. Gives you admission to national parks.

Senior Pass

• $10 Lifetime pass
  • For U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over.
  • May be obtained in person at a federal recreation site or through the mail using this application form. The cost of obtaining a Senior Pass through the mail is twenty dollars ($20). Ten ($10) for the Senior Pass and ten ($10) for processing the application. Applicants must provide documentation of age and residency or citizenship.
  • May provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services.
  • Generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.
I would be interested in any that already have a pass, any problems they have encountered, and I'm sure there are some great stories from those that already have one

got mine in Glacier NP in 2014 Only small problem is if you lose it or forget it and are at a park you have to buy another one since there is no data base
of people who bought the cards
one of the good things about getting older...

$10 lifetime senior pass is best deal around.
It is maybe the 2nd best deal around. As mentioned, disabled get theirs for free. Also, members of the active military and their family can get an annual pass for free. They just need to show their military ID to get the card. And they deserve them! Thank you for your service. DS and his wife got theirs last June (17 years in the CG) and I got my senior pass then too. And don't forget, the passes are for the entire carload, not just the individual.

Back
Top Bottom