Join Early Retirement Today

And finally, the Grand Canyon
Old 07-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

And finally, the Grand Canyon

...which is probably my favorite, although it's hard to compare. The last two are of the Desert View Watchtower. Great architecture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon1.jpg (59.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon3.jpg (67.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon4.jpg (49.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon5.jpg (48.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon6.jpg (52.6 KB, 3 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Grand Canyon2
Old 07-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #42

Grand Canyon2

A California condor, which I understand just came off the endangered list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon7.jpg (64.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon8.jpg (37.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon9.jpg (49.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon11.jpg (9.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon13.jpg (66.0 KB, 2 views)

Old 07-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #43

Grand Canyon3

I promise this is the last one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon14.jpg (56.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon15.jpg (32.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon16.jpg (46.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon17.jpg (41.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Grand Canyon18.jpg (82.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #44

Wow, excellent, GoodSense! Unbelievably beautiful and the macro stuff is fantastic. What'd you shoot that dancing one with to catch the motion so well?
And your colors are just fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing, they are really incredible.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #45

Thanks, Sarah! I wish I were better at writing down where we went, people we met, etc. like your post. I guess I am just too lazy...

I have a little Canon SD750. Very versatile and not expensive at all. I only use maybe 1/4 of all its functions.

Traveling is great, isn't it?
Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #46

You did really well with your camera--it is funny, we used the little $100 Fuji camera a lot on this trip, just because it was easier to hand to a stranger and say please take our picture than my big contraption.
You should start keeping a travel journal, it doesn't have to be much, even just putting down the date, the place, and what you had for breakfast can help jog your memory of a trip, years later.
Tell us about the brilliantly painted motorcycle...did you meet the driver?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Love the pictures ! This is really giving me the travel bug !
Old 07-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Just out of curiosity, have any of y'all done the donkey ride down the side of the Grand Canyon? It's on my list of things to do before I die, but it's pretty far down. Mostly because I'm afraid I'll overbalance the poor little critter and we'll both plummet to our deaths. But I still want to do it

Harley
Old 07-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #49

Sarah, we never met the owner of the motorcycle, although I'm sure it would be an interesting story!

I haven't personally done the mule ride, but know people who have. Apparently it is ultrasafe and there have not been one single fatality from it (compared with the fact that over 600 deaths have been recorded at the GC out of exhaustion, accidents, or suicide). Apparently mules are also much more comfortable than horses on mountain trails. The bulletin board at the Grand Canyon recommends making a reservation at least a year in advance, since it fills up quickly.

I wished we had hiked down to the bottom of the canyon. You need at least 2 days and a place to stay or camp at night. We didn't have that much time and advance planning. We went about 1/2 of the way down, which was still a lot but doable in a day.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Super nice pix, GoodSense! Thanks for sharing with us!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Just out of curiosity, have any of y'all done the donkey ride down the side of the Grand Canyon?
I always thought that would be fun, but I'm afraid at this point it ain't gonna being happening any time too soon.....they have a weight limit for the mules, and I reckon that I'd have to give that poor old mule a ride down on my back!

From their website:
Quote:
Rider Qualifications

EACH RIDER MUST NOT WEIGH MORE THAN 200 LBS. (91 kilograms) FULLY DRESSED. Yes, we do weigh everyone.
Each rider must be at least 4 feet, 7 inches (55 total inches or 1.38 meters) in height, regardless of previous riding experience. Each rider must be able to speak and understand fluent English. Each rider must be in good physical condition. Riders should not be afraid of heights or large animals. Rider cannot be pregnant.
I meet all the qualifications except that weight deal......maybe if I'd inhale a half tank of helium it would help.

Quote:
Preparations:

Many riders will experience a great deal of soreness after having been on mules in the Grand Canyon all day. It is suggested that you not plan heavy activities for the day after your mule ride.
So I guess they're trying to say that it would really be a pain to sit on your ass all day......and by "Preparations:" I believe they inadvertently left off the "H".
Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

LOL, Goonie, thanks for the info. Maybe I should do another thing on my list first - through hike the Appalachian Trail. I suspect I'll be under 200 lbs by the time I finish that.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:29 PM   #52

We just got back from Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. We are already planning return trip there and also a seperate trip to Glacier for next summer. I have seen all of the places on the OPs list except Yosemite from a helicopter. Returning to see Yellowstone on the ground was superb.
Jeff
Old 08-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #53

I did Yellowstone this year and Theodore Roosevelt National Park (ND bad lands) -- two very different natural wonders. And the trip between the two? Outstanding!

From Yellowstone east to Cody Wyoming through the Absaroka Mtns, then to Little Big Horn and on to Roosevelt NP. TR Roosevelt doesn't have tall mountains, large meadows, or geysers -- but it has prairie dogs!!!

-- Rita
Old 08-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
From Yellowstone east to Cody Wyoming through the Absaroka Mtns, then to Little Big Horn and on to Roosevelt NP. TR Roosevelt doesn't have tall mountains, large meadows, or geysers -- but it has prairie dogs!!!

-- Rita
You did stop at Pompei's Pillar didn't you?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
You did stop at Pompei's Pillar didn't you?
Yes, quite a site. As a matter of fact the entire trip was just more than my camera could adequately capture.

-- Rita