National Parks Less Traveled

I've been to four of them: The Smokies, Olympic, Petrified Forest and Redwood.

I'd love to go back to Olympic and spend more time there as it is a beautiful area.

The Smokies is practically in my backyard and have been going there regularly for over thirty years. I'd love to know the total mileage I've covered while hiking the trails there over all these years.

Will have to see about checking off the rest of the list. Kobuk has been on my wish list too long.

I've been to most of them. Big Bend is still a huge favorite and I plan to get back there before too many moons pass.

Our national parks are truly a national treasure.

Isle Royale is easily the least visited park in the Lower 48, and well worth a look, providing you enjoy hiking and wilderness camping (or have a boat).

One of my favorite lesser-known national parks is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, in western Colorado. Also not exactly popular, but pretty spectacular.

I don't get the "Less Traveled" part of the article title, given that Great Smoky Mountains is one of the very busiest parks in the land.

Olympic National Park is just a gem, IMHO. While the article focused on the Hoh River area (among the wettest), the mountain vistas along Hurricane Ridge are not to be missed.

Crater Lake is stunning, but best seen in August when all the snow has melted.

-- Rita

Redwoods was enjoyable, but you can only look at giant redwoods so long before they start to look the same. Great Basin in Eastern Nevada doesn't see too many visitors, but is rather undeveloped.

I don't get the "Less Traveled" part of the article title, given that Great Smoky Mountains is one of the very busiest parks in the land.

I thought that was odd too. The only reason I can see for that is that something like 90% of the visitors never get out of their cars. They just do a driving tour through the park and think they've seen it. Then they head back to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and the outlet malls. :nonono:

We have been to 3: Petrified Forest, AZ, Redwood, CA, and Olympic, WA.

About Kobuk Valley, Alaska, which is said to be "accessible exclusively by airplane, boat, or snowmobile", I am afraid it will never make my list.

I thought that was odd too. The only reason I can see for that is that something like 90% of the visitors never get out of their cars. They just do a driving tour through the park and think they've seen it. :nonono:
Yes, we used to do that. Now, I have got a motor home so we can linger longer and do some hiking and enjoy the outdoor more.

Olympic National Park is just a gem, IMHO. While the article focused on the Hoh River area (among the wettest), the mountain vistas along Hurricane Ridge are not to be missed.

Crater Lake is stunning, but best seen in August when all the snow has melted.

-- Rita

+1 on ONP. That is our back yard. This was from a snowshoe trip about a week ago looking from Hurricane Ridge across the Elwha River Valley at Mt Olympus:

moz-screenshot-8.png
moz-screenshot-9.png
5230069167_d6bf01b2a2_b.jpg

FYI they are working on removing the first of the two dams on the Elwha River. If successful we may see further removal of large dams on sensitive rivers in the west. Before she was dammed the Elwha was one of the only rivers in NA to host all species of anadromous salmon as well as steelhead and searun cutthroat trout. Chinook in excess of 100# were not uncommon. Alas they are all gone :nonono:.

DD

First time posting a pic here. I uploaded it as an attachment - is there a cleaner way to do it?

I have only visited Redwoods (from this list of 10). I lived in CA from 88-93 and it was a favorite family pursuit to hike in the various parks whenever we could.

7 outta 10 for me... guess when I retire I will have to make it to the other three...

I have been to three
Great Smoky Mountains
Petrified Forrest
Redwood
My favorite is the great smoky mountains in the fall

Our national parks are truly a national treasure.

i would add BLM land as well. and refuge land. and...

who would have thunk? largest slot canyon in the world on BLM land, not in a national park. and some of the most unique geological structures within a stones throw....red rocks is on BLM land.

and a little taste of a wildlife refuge...

8SGHtM

I had only heard of 5 of 10. Been to 0 of 10. I would like to visit 2 or 3 of them but probably won't any time soon.

We have been to:

Hot Springs
Great Smoky Mountains
Petrified Forrest
Redwood

We have been to many others plus countles National monuments and State parks not on the list also. They are all wonderful in their own way.

With a convertible to drive from one trail head to the next..

As long as you don't camp with any trace of food smell in that convertible. Otherwise, the bears will open 'er up to check.

Here's a good, short, list of all of them.

Since before our RV trip, I think the only ones I visited were Haleakala and the Grand Canyon (and we never saw the Canyon from the rim, but did see the entire ~180 miles from a raft on the Colorado river). Most of our traveling was international. But over the next 3 years, I expect we'll hit 50 or so of the 58. Weeeeeee!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haleakala_National_Park

Here's a good, short, list of all of them.

Since before our RV trip, I think the only ones I visited were Haleakala and the Grand Canyon (and we never saw the Canyon from the rim, but did see the entire ~180 miles from a raft on the Colorado river). Most of our traveling was international. But over the next 3 years, I expect we'll hit 50 or so of the 58. Weeeeeee!

Way cool. Hope you post pictures and accounts of your adventures!

As long as you don't camp with any trace of food smell in that convertible. Otherwise, the bears will open 'er up to check.

True enough and the bigger, older ones open sedans and vans now too.

Back
Top Bottom