Join Early Retirement Today

National Parks Proposal
Old 10-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

National Parks Proposal

Knowing that many here enjoy our national parks, I thought this proposal may be of interest. I primarily use state and local parks but back in the day did a lot of camping in the nationals. I think this passage pretty well sums up the ideas that are being proposed.

“The memo opens by asserting that campgrounds are “excellent candidates for partner management under concessions and leases. ....... Crandall proceeds to argue that federally operated campgrounds suffer from “inadequate and outmoded visitor infrastructure.” As one example, he cites the lack of wireless internet service, as well as a dearth of places to shop.”

https://news.yahoo.com/campgrounds-i...090019066.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #2

It makes sense. The Parks are in need of revenue. The campgrounds are outdated and a larger rig has difficulties.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #3

It seems to me the question is do people want parks to remain close to their natural state or parks that add 21st century amenities? Do Americans strongly favor one of those over the other? I don't know what poll results would find.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:24 PM   #4

Seems to me, this is about modernizing or improving the front country, highly visited, car camping areas of NP’s. Probably nothing wrong with that. The folks visiting in those areas will likely appreciate it.

For those still wanting the pure, untainted experience, the back country is still there relatively untouched. And those folks certainly appreciate that.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
It seems to me the question is do people want parks to remain close to their natural state or parks that add 21st century amenities? Do Americans strongly favor one of those over the other? I don't know what poll results would find.
Most Americans probably want the unspoiled natural state of the Park. Until they have to get out of their car to view it...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, the proposal is a great idea. Many national parks could use a facilities upgrade. I wish the State of Illinois would have a similar proposal for their state parks. Many state parks here are in extreme neglect with some facilities closed.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:14 AM   #7

While I would have liked a occasional Wifi in my recent trip thru YNP and GTNP (or even cell service), the idea of any noticeable upset to either is not something I'd want.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #8
gone traveling

Might as well just sell them off to Disney.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #9
Administrator

Maybe if they raised the prices, it would cure some of the overcrowding and attendant strain on the infrastructure.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

This isn't exactly a new idea, since concessionaires already operate campgrounds (as well as other commercial facilities such as hotels, restaurants, and gift shops) in a number of our national parks. Some get overly greedy though -- especially Delaware North, which copyrighted a number of Yosemite's landmark names, then sued the government for using them after they lost the contract.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Maybe if they raised the prices, it would cure some of the overcrowding and attendant strain on the infrastructure.

This idea has been explored before. But it’s often viewed as elitist, keeping the lower income folks from being able to visit.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Most Americans probably want the unspoiled natural state of the Park. Until they have to get out of their car to view it...
I disagree.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
It makes sense. The Parks are in need of revenue. The campgrounds are outdated and a larger rig has difficulties.
People who travel in Big Rigs have everything they need in the rig. No need to pollute campgrounds with amenities these folks already bring with them.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The real issue is the National Parks are underfunded for maintenance. That's a decision our Congress has made. Simply putting in some stores and modern facilities will not generate much revenue to help the National Parks unless the parks are allowed to keep it.

Intentionally under-funding services the public likes and enjoys is an old tactic to get the public to approve tax increases and other questionable plans.

Messing with the National Parks is perhaps the only thing equal to messing with Social Security.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #15

The local USFS is proposing day use & overnight fees for 19 trails in our area. $3-$5/person/night. I have not seen the proposed trails yet. We have had issues with overcrowding parking areas & congestion on the popular trails. There are another 60 trails with no fees

We have significant tourist trade here & that tends to overload some trails.
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Seems to me, this is about modernizing or improving the front country, highly visited, car camping areas of NP’s. Probably nothing wrong with that. The folks visiting in those areas will likely appreciate it.

For those still wanting the pure, untainted experience, the back country is still there relatively untouched. And those folks certainly appreciate that.
Great thoughts. It doesn't have to be all either or.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Great thoughts. It doesn't have to be all either or.
True.

Even in Yellowstone, a 1/2 mile walk down the trails away from Old Faithful will eliminate 80% of the visitors. A two mile hike down a trail will eliminate 95% of the visitors, IMHO. (Albeit, on a busy Summer day, there will still be enough people on the trail so nobody will feel alone.)

I know people from places like New York who drive up to a view point take a picture, and for them, that is a 'wilderness' experience. I know others who go on a four day backpack and if they see more than two people a day, their wilderness experience is ruined.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

The first line in the article cited:

"A Trump administration advisory panel is recommending an ambitious plan to give private businesses greater access to national parks, according to a memorandum written by an advisory council for the Department of the Interior."

I'm strongly opposed to this. National parks do not need "greater business access". If people want to shop, they can go to their local mall. I hear they're not crowded. If they want WiFi and other amenities, they can do what people already do: stay in motels just outside the park boundaries.

The National Park Service has been starved for adequate funds for years. They do a remarkable job despite that. Entrance fees and some pass fees have gone dramatically up in the past two years. I'm glad that I was able to get a Senior lifetime pass for just $10 when I turned 62.

I just returned from a trip to the southwest and visited at least 9 federal facilities including 5 national parks. This was not my first time in the region, but I never cease to be amazed by the incredible landscapes and scenery in that region. I've been fortunate to have been able to travel a lot throughout the world, but the western USA has the most magnificent and diverse scenery and sights of any region I know.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We stayed in the parks and it was no big deal doing without a phone or internet. We read books at night. The parks don’t need to be commercialized.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #20

While I agree that many of the parks need additional funding I disagree with opening them to private operators. I remember the noticeable change leaving the commercial areas outside of Yellowstone (as an example) and entering the actual park. It’d be antithetical to have that commercialization within sight of Mt Rushmore IMO.