Join Early Retirement Today
Need Help for July Trip to Grand Canyon..........
Old 02-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Need Help for July Trip to Grand Canyon..........

DW wants us to go to Phoenix and visit her aunt in July. I know its hot then, but it is the best time for us due to baseball commitments. I want to take the kids to the Grand Canyon and maybe Meteor Crater.

Seeing the Grand Canyon will require an overnight in Flagstaff, I think. 1 and a half days of seeing the Grand Canyon is probably enough for the kids. A quick stop in Sedona on the way back, and then several days in Phoenix.

Any other side trips worth exploring? Last time we were there, we visited two old Western towns and drove the Supersition Mountain byway..........

We are flying in and renting a car for a week or 9 days, depending. Obviously, with temps at 100 degrees or more, perhpas we should stay longer in the mountains..........

Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
Your kids will probably enjoy the Jr Ranger program depending upon their age. It occupies them for a few hours.

If possible you should see the North Rim but that is a drive from where you are staying.

Worked the plan and now living the Dream!
fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
I've been to both rims on 3 different trips. The North rim is better. But honestly, if I ever go to GC again I must plan to actually hike down into the canyon. I think that is where the real fun is. It does require planning because it can be dangerous if done ill prepared. But the view from the top, while great, gets old quickly.

I'd recommend stopping longer in Sedona. Sedona is great especially with younger kids. There are some great hikes along witht he scenery. I think it is more fun than GC. IMO..

Have fun!
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” John Muir
MuirWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
I second Sedona. You might actually want to stay on the rim instead of Flag, sunrises on the GC can be spectacular. And it is much cooler than Phoenix (try 110). Good luck
Angels danced on the day that you were born.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
Try to stay at the South Rim instead of Flagstaff. I recommend the Bright Angel Lodge, it is designed by famed architect Mary Jane Coulter and very historic.

Hike down the Bright Angel Trail at least as far as the 1.5 mile rest house. If you are fit, go as far as the 3 mile rest house. Allow twice as long for the hike up as the hike down. Take water bottles, more than you think you need and start early in the day to beat the heat.

Forget the North Rim on this trip. It is nice in an isolated sort of way, but it is 5 hours drive from the South Rim!

Have dinner at the Arizona Room (make reservations now!) and watch the sun set over the canyon while enjoying their signature Baby Back Ribs in Prickly Pear Cactus BBQ sauce.
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
Spend a few days in the Grand Canyon
- Stay and/or eat at the El Tovar
- Hike the Bright Angel and Rim trails

Spend a couple of days in Sedona
- Pink Jeep tours
- Northern Lights Balloon Expeditions - hot air balloons
- Drive Schnebley Road yourself if you have a SUV
- slide down the rocks at Slide Rock State Park
- lots of awesome hiking trails

- take a trip to Jerome
- ride the Verde Canyon Railroad in Cottonwood

- Go to Alice Cooperstown's for a 2' hot dog - (the big unit)
- Go to a d'backs game
- Rubber raft or go tubing on the Salt River
- Boating at Tempe Town Lake
- McCormick Railroad Park in Scottsdale
- Go to Bartlett Lake
- Tour Taliesin West - home of Frank Lloyd Wright
- Rawhide western town and steakhouse
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
One other nice place to go during the summer is the Arizona Snowbowl just north of Flagstaff. You can ride the chairlift at the ski area to 11,500 ft. above sea level. Take a jacket. The view is spectacular. There are also numerous hiking trails in the area.
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no independence quite so important, as living within your means." Calvin Coolidge
hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I love the GC. We've done the week-long rafting trip through the canyon twice.

One overlooked place nearby is Walnut Canyon National Park. It's less than a half hour drive east of Flagstaff, and well worth your time. You can see ancient pueblo dwellings up close and personal.

braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote