Join Early Retirement Today

Need local info for NYC
Old 01-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Need local info for NYC

I gotta take the kids to a concert (Cinema Bizarre)happening the end of April,venue is the Highline Ballroom which by Google maps is just south of the eastern end of the Lincoln Tunnel,any one familiar with the area and are there any hotel/ motels nearby? Thanks for any local info.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

That's more or less the West Village. I would choose the Chelsea Hotel for a little local flavor. Not too expensive, and you can ask for room #100 - you can sleep under the same ceiling as Sid Vicious.
randyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's more like the Hell's Kitchen area.

Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Holland Tunnel is on 29th st in NYC.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Not if its on w. 16th street.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyman65 View Post
Not if its on w. 16th street.
You must be thinking of the Lincoln tunnel in Manhattan, Kansas.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #6

431 W 16th St, New York, NY - Google Maps
Old 01-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

As stated - that's the West Village.

Depending on your budget, you could also look into the W hotel in Union Square. There are also some chain hotels in Chelsea. They're all more or less generic, but also pretty pricy.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:25 AM   #8

The Chelsea Hotel sounds interesting and its nearby the venue the kids will be going to,Whats parking like in the area?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The Chelsea Hotel sounds interesting and its nearby the venue the kids will be going to,Whats parking like in the area?
This certainly is not your only choice but it is typical. I parked on on of their lots on Sunday for $20.

http://www.parkfast.com/do/regions?areaName=manhattan
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #10

How would street parking be in the Chelsea Hotel area? i dont mind moving the car once or twice a day.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't even think about it.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How would street parking be in the Chelsea Hotel area? i dont mind moving the car once or twice a day.
I often park on the street in Manhattan. It just takes a little patience and perseverance to find a spot. The value of time and fuel can offset some of the cost of a parking lot so parking on the street isn't really so cheap. If I'm driving something that has delicate bumpers I avoid parking on the street because I think my chances of getting dented are less on the lots. The only damage I received to a vehicle parked on the street was a smashed window to steal a valueless brief case. Don't leave anything visible in the car even if you think it isn't worth stealing.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

If you are going to drive in NYC, please make sure nothing is in view in the inside of the car - take out all electronics that you can. I know some people that would leave the glove compartment empty and the access door open (disconnect the light so your battery doesn't drain) just to show the car is empty.

Do the same if you are using a parking lot.

PS - the is good general advise no matter where you travel.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyman65 View Post
As stated - that's the West Village.

Depending on your budget, you could also look into the W hotel in Union Square. There are also some chain hotels in Chelsea. They're all more or less generic, but also pretty pricy.
That was Chelsea when I lived at 250 West 16th Street from 1976-1978, a hundred feet from 8th Avenue. Did they move the boundaries or was I mistaken? The West Village, as far as I knew it back then, ended on its northern border along W.14th Street.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Its a pretty permeable boundary. 14th street was set as an arbitrary boundary based on the 14th st subway station. in reality, there is little between the two at that area. You'll find the same number of Chelsea boys above and below 14th, and the village has grow beyond its original maze-like, non-grid street layout. Either/or, its certainly not Hell's Kitchen (now Clinton) of of 40 trenty blocks north.

At this point, when travelling down eigth it tough to tell where the boundaries of Chelsea, the W. Village, and Meatpacking are precisely.