Need Travel Ideas between Atlanta and Western Kentucky and Tennessee

48Fire

Full time employment: Posting here.
Taking a slow trip from Atlanta to Western Kentucky and Western Tennessee. Any travel ideas for good places to eat, camp, or sight-see? Mark Twain National Forest is a little out of the way towards the west, but I would be willing if someone has a great review. Thanks!!!:)

I have enjoyed the Smoky Mountains. Chattanooga has an aquarium that I have heard is good, but expensive. As a history buff, I enjoyed visiting Dayton, TN - the site of the famous Scopes Monkey trial dramatized in Inherit the Wind. Paducah has a Quilt Museum if you are into that sort of thing and a cute downtown area.

I have enjoyed the Smoky Mountains. Chattanooga has an aquarium that I have heard is good, but expensive. As a history buff, I enjoyed visiting Dayton, TN - the site of the famous Scopes Monkey trial dramatized in Inherit the Wind. Paducah has a Quilt Museum if you are into that sort of thing and a cute downtown area.

Thanks for the suggestions! Will consider these

Mammoth Cave (KY), Reelfoot Lake (TN), Big Southfork Scenic Railway (KY), Land Between the Lakes (KY), Cumberland Falls (KY). Lots of things to see and do.

Taking a slow trip from Atlanta to Western Kentucky and Western Tennessee. Any travel ideas for good places to eat, camp, or sight-see? Mark Twain National Forest is a little out of the way towards the west, but I would be willing if someone has a great review. Thanks!!!:)

If you're in Western TN, then there has to be several BBQ joints on your list. I have only been to Memphis once, and don't recall much from my visit, but even just doing something like going to Food Network's website, and maybe Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives, or the Travel Channel, to search to see what places they've been to (not that ALL of them are good, as some are a joke...but quite a few of the places various shows have been to are pretty good, so it could bring up a few suggestions).

Oh, I forgot, the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. They recently had a big disaster where a sinkhole opened up and swallowed up several of their cars. I think they are still working to recover the last couple of cars.

Regarding the Mark Twain National Forest, if you like canoeing then a visit is definitely worth going out of your way. The Current River, the Jack's Fork of the Current and the Black River are all gorgeous waterways with many canoe liveries in the area. Many other nice rivers too but those are the ones I've paddled.

Mammoth Cave (KY), Reelfoot Lake (TN), Big Southfork Scenic Railway (KY), Land Between the Lakes (KY), Cumberland Falls (KY). Lots of things to see and do.

Thanks, great suggestions!

Regarding the Mark Twain National Forest, if you like canoeing then a visit is definitely worth going out of your way. The Current River, the Jack's Fork of the Current and the Black River are all gorgeous waterways with many canoe liveries in the area. Many other nice rivers too but those are the ones I've paddled.

Thanks, we love to canoe!

Our favorite part of the Smokies is around Townsend TN (small town so search for it). We also really enjoyed sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway, more on the eastern side of the Smokies, and the Natchez Trace parkway which terminates in Nashville.

I like to follow the old highways. HWY U.S. 64 passes all the way through Tennessee. It passes through Chattanooga, Memphis, Natchez Trace Parkway, among other points of interest. Some spectacular scenery along the way.

Back when I worked for MegaCorp, I travelled regularly to Atlanta. I haven't lost anything there that I need to go look for. But then, I dislike all big cities. I would never choose a big city as a main destination point.

Our favorite part of the Smokies is around Townsend TN (small town so search for it). We also really enjoyed sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway, more on the eastern side of the Smokies, and the Natchez Trace parkway which terminates in Nashville.

Thanks, I will take a look.

I like to follow the old highways. HWY U.S. 64 passes all the way through Tennessee. It passes through Chattanooga, Memphis, Natchez Trace Parkway, among other points of interest. Some spectacular scenery along the way.

Back when I worked for MegaCorp, I travelled regularly to Atlanta. I haven't lost anything there that I need to go look for. But then, I dislike all big cities. I would never choose a big city as a main destination point.

Thanks, I was hoping to take a slow, scenic drive

The Lost Sea near Sweetwater TN was pretty neat, as I recall from 30 years ago.

Fall Creek Falls state park and Reel Foot lake are both good and Reel Foot Lake has many birding opportunities.

Mammoth cave in KY is also good if you are into caves

The Smokies aren't exactly in western KY/TN...

True, but from Atlanta they could just swing a bit to the East before heading West across Tennessee or hit it on the way back swinging out easterly before heading down to Atlanta...

You could watch a Dave Ramsey show live (close to Nashville).

Back
Top Bottom