Never-ending construction turns cruise into ‘16 days of hell’

I want to take this cruise from Miami to Los Angeles in the near future. How do I find out if the ship is not doing any construction again?

Contact Norwegian?

We've only been on one Norwegian vessel, the Star, (built, I believe, the same time as the Sun), and that was solely due to a loop from Copenhagen to Iceland, followed by a transatlantic to Miami.

Not impressed. Wouldn't travel Norwegian again unless it was at give away prices.

Yes I saw this story somewhere too. Looks like it was brutal. Chemicals and building material all over the decks and large areas cordoned off with sandblasting and high pressure washing. I wondered if they got any warning. Passengers got a voucher for a discount on a future cruise! Talk about insult to injury as you know the cruise line is almost certainly making a profit despite the discount if you book again with them. I think this is the upside of social media. Some of the pictures and video posted by passengers was pretty damning.

I wonder if this was someone's great money saving idea, simply refurbish ships while at sea for less gov't oversight, and no dead time in dry docks.

And probably dumping scrap and construction debris overboard to save fees.

Wow, what a mess for the passengers. Norwegian certainly didn’t do a very good job of trying to make it right if all they offered was a discount on a future cruise. I have never cruised on Norwegian and this thread certainly doesn’t make me want to. Yikes

This article alone would leave me looking for a different cruise (and cruise company). even if you call them and they say "oh this will be fine" I would not trust them any further than I could throw them.

Their response to their passengers is pathetic. I would avoid them completely.

We have been on most of the large popular cruise lines, and went on Norwegian to St. Petersburg and the Scandinavian cities. We were slightly disappointed, especially with the food.

Norwegian was falling behind the other cruise lines, and they had a big management shakeup in the last 2 years. It appears the new guys have made some improvements across the board. But doing semi-major construction at sea is inexcusable.

We leave NYC in a week in Norwegian for a 12 day repositioning cruise ending in Southampton. And the price was ridiculously low--$750 each including port charges. The Breakaway is then going into drydock for a 5 year major overhaul. Going thru 2 big storms in the last year was tough on the ship.I

But for the price paid, we are just glad to have another affordable trip of a lifetime. Anyway, I was getting tired of going to Italy 3X in the last 2 years.

Amazing.

You really can't make this stuff up.

I wonder how much this company spends each year advertising and promoting its cruises. Most of it shot to Heck if 1/2 of this story is true.

How a company handles a situation when things go bad is the real test for how much business we will give them in the future. It appears that this company only did what was right after they received tons of negative press.

Note, that they are not offering a cash refund, just a full credit against a future cruise (up from a 25% credit). I imagine if one accepts the credit, then one will also absolve them from any future damages that result from legal actions.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8546

Norwegian Cruise Line is giving passengers who sailed on Norwegian Sun's last cruise before it entered dry dock -- a Panama Canal crossing -- a future cruise credit in the amount of their fare paid after numerous complaints that it was essentially a "construction zone." According to Norwegian Cruise Line, which said the construction was part of its "continuous efforts" to ensure consistency across its fleet, the line does its "utmost to minimize any impact to our guests when these enhancements are being implemented, we do recognize that during a recent sailing, we did not meet the expectations of our guests, nor our own standards, for which we truly apologize."
As compensation, the line, which originally offered a 25 percent future cruise credit, is now offering a full 100 percent future cruise credit worth their fare paid. The credit can be used on any Norwegian Cruise Line sailing from now through March 31, 2023.
"We realize this cannot replace their recent experience but do hope to have the opportunity to welcome
Who do they think they are - Equifax?

Last edited:
Interesting.

We liked the two HAL cruises we went on. I wonder: Was this a fluke, or have they gone downhill?

Rotten PR for sure. Maybe they'll be offering discounts to lure people back.

Interesting.

We liked the two HAL cruises we went on. I wonder: Was this a fluke, or have they gone downhill?

Rotten PR for sure. Maybe they'll be offering discounts to lure people back.

This was NCL.

We have been on most of the large popular cruise lines, and went on Norwegian to St. Petersburg and the Scandinavian cities. We were slightly disappointed, especially with the food.

Norwegian was falling behind the other cruise lines, and they had a big management shakeup in the last 2 years. It appears the new guys have made some improvements across the board. But doing semi-major construction at sea is inexcusable.

We leave NYC in a week in Norwegian for a 12 day repositioning cruise ending in Southampton. And the price was ridiculously low--$750 each including port charges. The Breakaway is then going into drydock for a 5 year major overhaul. Going thru 2 big storms in the last year was tough on the ship.I

We recently went on a NCL cruise, and were also disappointed by the food. We were comparing it to CCL which we went on twice.
By disappointment, I mean in the dining room, besides being jammed in what seemed like extra tables by the kitchen entrance. I was serviced raw lamb, and raw tuna on different nights. The replacement lamb was good, but the replacement tuna was incredibly salty, beyond edible.

I am now reluctant to pick NCL.

I am now reluctant to pick NCL.

We were majorly unimpressed with NCL, and it would take a truly spectacular offer for us to go on another of their ships.

It appears that this company only did what was right after they received tons of negative press.

Note, that they are not offering a cash refund, just a full credit against a future cruise (up from a 25% credit). I imagine if one accepts the credit, then one will also absolve them from any future damages that result from legal actions.
I don't consider credit against a future cruise - which does not include port fees and taxes as far as I understand - is "doing what is right".

A refund is the only right thing, and you can hope that passengers aren't coming after you legally. Exposure to hazardous materials is serious stuff. There are some very mad customers out there.

And probably tons of potential customers deciding no way to NCL.

Agree, "discount off your future cruise" - are you kidding?

"Entrust us with your next vacation, and your money, and we'll give you a bit off, if you book at full price" is not remotely making it right.

Full refund and a discount...maybe.

This trip should have been advertised at a discounted rate upfront with full disclosure of the construction project. Only then would it have been acceptable.

They have apologized and are giving passengers a 100% credit (of amount paid) for any future cruise.

They have apologized and are giving passengers a 100% credit (of amount paid) for any future cruise.

That means the upset passengers are still out the money. They would have to take a future cruise to gain anything and still pay port fees and taxes.

Credit is not a refund.

Plus many people would need to pay for their airfare. I would never cruise with this outfit after reading this.

This trip should have been advertised at a discounted rate upfront with full disclosure of the construction project. Only then would it have been acceptable.

Agreed. There were probably a number of people who wanted a stress free cruise and this was not acceptable to them.

That means the upset passengers are still out the money. They would have to take a future cruise to gain anything and still pay port fees and taxes.

Credit is not a refund.

Totally agree. I was just updating this thread to 100% from 25% so the discussion is accurate.

That would be the end of my cruising with NCL. Refund and then we will talk deep discount on a future cruise. Time is money and when I go on vacation it is to relax and de-stress. This experience would have been the antithesis of that. Thinking of the wasted money and time would make it that much worse and I'd be going out of my way to make NCL just as unhappy as I would have been.

What were they thinking when the ship left port with workers on board to do ship work? I know it is all about money, but whoever made that decision knows nothing about customer service. It looks like the company being in rough seas cannot see the shore for the waves. I think another management change is needed.

For many Americans, who only get about two weeks vacation a year, the waste of that precious time is probably the greatest loss.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom