Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Can someone who lives in NM tell me why some of the car license plates include USA on them as part of the state name?.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Can someone who lives in NM tell me why some of the car license plates include USA on them as part of the state name?.
probably because NM has a long history of being thought of as being another country. lots of questions as to whether a passport was needed to visit. i even heard that the US navy (i hope this is just a rumor) looked into making a treaty with NM!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Because the state has a problem with some other states not realizing that New Mexico is in the US. Some people think that Arizona and Texas adjoin!

The New Mexico magazine even has a regular feature called "One of our 50 is Missing" with funny stories of people in other states (even Colorado just north of us!) not realizing that NM is a State.
One of Our 50 is Missing New Mexico Magazine Humor Column

BTW, if you are a regular visitor to NM, the New Mexico magazine is worth getting as it's readership is half out-of-state I would think. Lots of nice stories of places to visit and stay etc. as well as a Calendar.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemoon View Post
I would rent a car so you could drive the Turquoise Trail from Abq to Santa Fe.
Also Chimayo, Bandelier, and Taos are places I always like to visit. Don't forget Rodeo New Mexico, the most western town in NM.

3 miles from New Mexico, 30 miles from Old Mexico.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #25

The Gila Cliff Dwellings on the western side of NM are very interesting. Being off the beaten path, you are not overrun by other tourists. While just outside of NM to the NW is Canyon DeCheye - a must see if in the area.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
The New Mexico magazine even has a regular feature called "One of our 50 is Missing" with funny stories of people in other states (even Colorado just north of us!) not realizing that NM is a State.
One of Our 50 is Missing New Mexico Magazine Humor Column
Thanks for that column. I can see that NM residents have a cross to bear. It never occured to me that it would be a problem but then I studied (and passed) geography in HS.

(Now if we can just get the NY sports teams to play in NY!)
Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
My first visit to New Mexico was in 1960 to the Philmont National Boy Scout Ranch near Cimarron.
Wow, that sure brought back a memory. We might even have been there at the same time.

As a Boy Scout in Brooklyn, NY, I made the trip in 1960 to the national Jamboree in Colorado Springs. Our troop (which was actually an ad hoc troop composed of all the kids in Brooklyn from various troops who were going to the Jamboree) made a 28 day trip on a chartered bus. We left New York a couple of weeks before the Jamboree, heading basically southwest. We slept mostly on the floors of high school gyms, and saw various sights along the way.

The major highlight of the trip, apart from the Jamboree itself, was an abbreviated Philmont experience. We spent four days backpacking and camping at Philmont before heading on to Colorado Springs. After the Jamboree, we headed northeast, even through Canada, on our way back to New York.

The trip of a lifetime, and I still remember it vividly.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

The Trinity Test Site is very cool if you're into that sort of thing (it's only open for one day at a time, twice a year):
Trinity Site

Also, the National Museum of Nuclear Science and History:
The National Museum of Nuclear Science & History
Old 05-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #29

Love SF & Taos area with their abode architecture.

Recommend the High Road to Taos drive from SF stopping in Chimayo & 1500's era mission churches:

High Road to Taos, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Taos, the Millicent Rodgers Museum of art & Native American jewelry is excellent. The high bridge over the Rio Grande north of town is a thrill. The "earth homes" on the mesa west of town are quite diffferent - passive solar heating. Then there's the Taos Pubeblo that's been occupied for hundreds of years. Oh yea, plenty of art galleries & good restaurants.

In SF, Georgia O'Keefe Muesum is great. Also love the cathedral and it's spiral staircase.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
The Gila Cliff Dwellings on the western side of NM are very interesting. Being off the beaten path, you are not overrun by other tourists. While just outside of NM to the NW is Canyon DeCheye - a must see if in the area.
If you want off the beaten path there is Chaco Canyon, it is 50 miles from anywhere in the northwest part of the state.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #31

Just got back from Taos and enjoyed it. Santa Fe was nice too.

« RCI | Fiji Advice? »