Join Early Retirement Today

New Room
Old 08-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

New Room

A Rolling Stone Gathers no Moss...

Yeah, I decided to move again. I thrashed the trusty Mini Beast (Honda motorbike) up and down many sois until we found our new home. There are many apartments available and more being built all the time.

The apartment building is new and I'm the first one to occupy my room I'm the only foreigner in the building but thats ok. I supppose my Thai will have to improve, lol. Speaking of communicating, I first viewed the room after the office had closed, so the husband and wife couple that live on site (cleaning & maintenance) showed me around. I had trouble communicating with them, until I realized that they weren't native thai speakers, they were Burmese. I've noticed that more and more here in Chiang Mai that many of the service and manual laborers are actually Burmese (Myanmar) migrant workers. Migration is every where

Any way, back on topic, this room is 117 per day- thai baht that is

Last night I heard this racket and thought-oh great... until I realized that it was a combination of frogs and crickets(?) doing their best to entertain me. On the positive side, a frog karaoke is far better than being close to a thai karaoke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apt3.jpg (597.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Apt5.jpg (739.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Apt2.jpg (561.5 KB, 18 views)

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It looks very spiffy. So you're going to learn some Burmese, too? I'd expect the sounds of frogs and crickets to be easy to get used to, even if quite loud.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
It looks very spiffy. So you're going to learn some Burmese, too? I'd expect the sounds of frogs and crickets to be easy to get used to, even if quite loud.
Burmese? Naa, I know just enough Thai to be dangerous

Yes, I really don't mind the frog "karaoke" at all.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #4

Do you ever crave more living space or do you find this type of setup meets your needs?

I'm not seeing any cooking facilities so do you eat out every meal? If so how has that affected your waist line over the years?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #5

Nice. What a clever, compact space.

I'm trying to figure out what is in the glass-doored area (closest to the sliding glass door). I think I see a toilet -- but not sure if that is simply a reflection (in the glass) or if it is inside that little space. Also, what about a sink and shower?

Is there a kitchen of some sort (refrigerator, hotplate, microwave)?

Also, can you please convert the rent to US currency?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Any way, back on topic, this room is 117 per day- thai baht that is
For anyone curious, as I was, that works out to about $120 per month (a hair under $4 per day).

Since a similarly equipped hotel room in the States could easily cost $120 per night, that's an amazing deal.

Edit: Do you pay utility costs on top of that rent (water, electricity, etc.), or are those included?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
For anyone curious, as I was, that works out to about $120 per month (a hair under $4 per day).

Since a similarly equipped hotel room in the States could easily cost $120 per night, that's an amazing deal.

Edit: Do you pay utility costs on top of that rent (water, electricity, etc.), or are those included?
Yeah, there are always the details...

Electricity is 8 baht per kWh (+100% markup) $0.24 US (Your electric is a bargain back home right?)

Water is 18 baht/unit, about 1,000 liters (so I'm told) $0.54

Old 08-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Nice. What a clever, compact space.

I'm trying to figure out what is in the glass-doored area (closest to the sliding glass door). I think I see a toilet -- but not sure if that is simply a reflection (in the glass) or if it is inside that little space. Also, what about a sink and shower?

Is there a kitchen of some sort (refrigerator, hotplate, microwave)?

Also, can you please convert the rent to US currency?

omni
The glass doors lead to a small balcony- complete with a table to drink coffee -or beer- and watch life go by

Yes, there is a shower, toilet and sink as well

Old 08-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Do you ever crave more living space or do you find this type of setup meets your needs?

I'm not seeing any cooking facilities so do you eat out every meal? If so how has that affected your waist line over the years?
I'm OK with a small room. A bigger room means more work, ugh!

No kitchen. I make coffee and sometimes heat up some noodles.

Yeah, I'm a fat boy

Old 08-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #10

So no daily cleaning thrown in with that room rate then?

You might be a fat boy, but you sound like one contented fat boy which is important.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
So no daily cleaning thrown in with that room rate then?

You might be a fat boy, but you sound like one contented fat boy which is important.
No cleaning or linnen service included. But when I pay 3,500 baht per month -about $117 yankee dollars- I'm happy

Old 08-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #12

I'm envious. I would love to live like that. A hot plate, a tea kettle and some Ramen, I'd be fine.

Is the building a high rise?
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post

That's apples and oranges. What's the daily rate for an American-style hotel in Thailand? Or the monthly rate for a studio apartment without a kitchen in a typical US city? Sure it's a good deal, but you can't compare it to something it isn't.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #14

I know a similar style room in our neighbourhood here in Silicon Valley runs about $650 a month.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I'm envious. I would love to live like that. A hot plate, a tea kettle and some Ramen, I'd be fine.

Is the building a high rise?
Five floors. Running up the steps helps to keep me in shape

Old 08-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a good friend living in Chiang Mai, an American named Buddy. He just bought a bar and hotel and and named it the Dixie Pig. All he talks about is the women. Glad to see you have avoided that temptation!
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
I have a good friend living in Chiang Mai, an American named Buddy. He just bought a bar and hotel and and named it the Dixie Pig. All he talks about is the women. Glad to see you have avoided that temptation!
Hobo, I hope your pal does well with his establishement.

There is an expat joke about "Making Big Money" here in the land of smiles.

Question: Do you know how to make a small fortune in Thailand?

Answer: Start with a large fortune

A couple of Viet Nam expats told me one that made me chuckle

To operate a successful business in Viet Nam you need a local business partner. He knows the culture and you have the money. Six months later he has the money and now you know the culture

Old 08-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #18

Thanks Lancelot for your Thailand posts, it's good to get some first hand knowledge from someone living the dream. I had considered living in Thailand half time after I ER'd but found I can only take Thailand for about a month at a time, then I get homesick. The biggest problems for me is not speaking the language and not finding any expat friends I clicked with. Seems like most of the expats I met are living on a shoestring budget. My idea of ER is not to live a life of luxury but to be able to do the things I enjoy doing without worrying if I can afford to do it. I also could never get adjusted to the tropical climate (heat and humidity), always felt drained of energy, I've been told you will eventually adjust to it but.....

I would highly recommend anyone planning to ER to any foreign country to make sure you have a fall back plan if it doesn't work out, it's definitely not for everyone. The longer I spend outside the USA the better appreciation I've gained for what we have.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

You get homesick for the US, don't click with the other expats, and really don't like the weather! Hmmm. Maybe an expat retirement scheme is not for you. One man's (or woman's) heaven is another man's hell. There is no shame in admitting that.

To be an expat you have to either be a loner, or someone who really likes the local people. And if you are going to live in SE Asia, north of the equator, you'd better enjoy hot weather.
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I would highly recommend anyone planning to ER to any foreign country to make sure you have a fall back plan if it doesn't work out, it's definitely not for everyone. The longer I spend outside the USA the better appreciation I've gained for what we have.
Yep, fall back plans are great.

I've always known that I would eventually return to the good ole US of A. I love to travel but but I keep my chubby little hands firmly attached to my passport. Let me back in!