Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The view of the NYC skyline is priceless from the Brooklyn Heights' Promenade -- though I still can't get over missing the World Trade Center towers. If you go to Brooklyn Heights near my old neighborhoods of Cobble Hill and Red Hook, go to the Red Hook Balls Fields for some cheap eats, if the Red Hook Vendors are back in action this summer. Here's some info about it. Red Hook Ball Fields - Brooklyn/Red Hook - Brooklyn, NY If you want a great and cheap place to eat breakfast go to Cafe LuLuc on Smith Street in Cobble Hill -- the pancakes are great.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Visit Serendipity for a $1000 "Golden Opulence Sundae"...

Serendipity3

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

As a New Yorker, I would like to add my two cents;

Do NOT try to stay as close to Times Square as posssible. No one but tourists and those who profit from them goes anywhere near Times Square. If you want Friday's, Bubba Gump, or anything else you can find in Orlando, go to Times Square.

Visit the Met. But accept that you will be overwhelmed. But don't go overboard. NY has far too many museums to see in one trip.

Take the Circle Line tour. Beset tip ever.

Fireworks? Take the subway to Coney Island.

"Little Italy" = tourist trap. Only tourists eat there. Instead, go a block south and have great Chinese, Malyasian, and Vietnmese food near the Tombs.

For Italian food, there are many options, none of which are in Times Square or little Italy. My two choices for great traditional Italian (not Italian-American) food (at celebrity chef restaurants at good prices) are Becco on restaurant row in the theater district, and Lupa in the Village.

Go downtown, preferably east. The drinks are phenominally cheap (I have an excell spreadsheet of the happy hours of Manhattan).

My #1 recommendation: do the Broadway walk. Take the 1 rain to the top of Manhattan, and walk down Broadway (13 miles) until you get to Battery Park, stopping for pitstops along the way.

Have drinks at the Algonquin Hotel.

Lunch at very high end restaurants is a tremendous bargain.

Hot dogs: forget dirty water dogs. Either choose Gray's Papaya or Papaya King. No comparison.

Pizza: Don't read Zagat's, don't go to little Italy. In manhattan, its wither John's of Bleeker street, or La Pizza Napoleatana. But the best is Di Fara on J street in Midwood Brooklyn (on the way to Coney Island). Bear in mind that the best pizza in NY requires you to wait on line on the sidewald (for up to an hour) and may runout before you get there.

Momofuku Noodle Bar. I would recommend Momofulu Ko, but no one can seem to get in.
randyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can still remember the Circle Line tour even though I was only 6 years old at the time. Other long lasting memories include visiting the Museum of the American Indian. I think it was someplace in Harlem. They had a man there whos bones were removed and was put into a shrinking solution. The shrunken cowboy was only a few inches tall.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I took the Circle Line tour as part of the high school senior trip. I also recommend it.