New York in September

Indian food in NYC is outstanding.

+1 on the NY pizza. Remember, if its not dripping greay oil down the side it's not the real thing. Also +1 on the pastrami. Carnegie Deli is the place to go. Make sure to be extra hungry.

Last edited:
I grew up 35 N of NYC and enjoyed dozens of field trips to the Big Apple. :D

1. Do not drive. :nonono:
2. Look for an all day shuttle (google online ahead of time) that drops you off at key tourist sites and allows you to get back on the shuttle again anytime you want. I did this in Boston and had a ball. Very safe plus knowing your ongoing ride will be there very soon makes the day a lot less stressful than trying to hail a cab or figure out bus/subway lines and times.
3. Try the pizza. There is none finer than real NY pizza, i.e. a slice to go at one of the family owned Italian pizza joints that abound.
4. A hot pastrami sandwich from an authentic Jewish deli is a must.
5. Safety: Keep your wallet in front pocket. Keep purse under coat or just use a money wallet under your clothes. Do not use the unmarked "cabs" to save a buck.
+1. Good, down to earth advice, as is usual from you.

Ha

pizza
hot pastrami sandwich from an authentic Jewish deli

I grew up in Brooklyn, and I second those recommendations.

The other things that are uniquely NYC, utterly wonderful, and unobtainable anywhere else in the world are:
bagels
cheesecake
and that quintessential NYC beverage, the egg cream.
Hint: an egg cream has nothing at all to do with either eggs or cream.

All this talk about pizza made me go defrost a pizza shell and ask Mr B to make me a sausage and mushroom pizza. It's cooling down right now.

No drooling, folks. :LOL:

Attachments

• pizza2013.jpg
    pizza2013.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 5
If you want to get some great shots of the NYC skyline and the Statue of Liberty take the Staten Island Ferry out and back, its free and takes about 45 minutes each way.
Parking can be a big problem in NYC and at about $1 an hour can add up over a few days, My preferred location is the Travel Inn on 42nd and 10th ave, it has free indoor parking..
Midtown Manhattan Hotels - The Travel Inn, New York, NY

From the Staten Island ferry,returning to NYC.=
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g156/jambo101/36660015-1.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to get some great shots of the NYC skyline and the Statue of Liberty take the Staten Island Ferry out and back, its free and takes about 45 minutes each way.
[/URL]

I second the Staten Island Ferry. It's an easy walk from from the subway. I am going to NYC next month and I may take the Circle Line tours if there is some nice weather. I did this 40 yrs ago and remember it was pretty good. It travels completely around Manhattan. Also, Central Park is wonderful in any weather.

Back
Top Bottom