Join Early Retirement Today

Question New York in September
Old 04-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Question New York in September

Going to New York for the first time ever this September for a wedding on Fire Island. I understand that the statute of liberty is closed. And we aren't really interested in seeing the Empire State building. Might visit Times Square just to say that we have been there and also take in a broadway show, again so we can say been there, done that.

Any other things to see and do that are worthwhile? Any travel tips? I understand that you probably don't want to drive - either do the subway or take a cab.
chrisaukcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Statue of Liberty will reopen on July 4, 2013. Cleaning up from Sandy. Subway or cab...don't drive. Go see some of the neighborhoods and ditch the mid town mayhem. WTC memorial is worth seeing.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Definitely do Times Square, preferably at night. You don't have to stay long...just see it.

Do not drive!
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you love museums the Museum of Natural History, the Guggenheim, and the Museum of Modern Art are good bets.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Driving in Manhattan can be fun. It's the parking that can spoil it.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Metropolitan Museum of Art should be high on your list.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Metropolitan Museum of Art should be high on your list.
+1

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #8

The big three for me are:

1. Metropolitan Museum of Art

2. Natural History Museum

3. Broadway shows

MOMA and Guggenheim are very good as well.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

A Broadway show with dinner afterwards in Little Italy and dessert at Ferrarra's.....

The Guggenheim and MOMA......

A walk in Central Park....

The seaport early in the morning....

There are Ferry dinner rides around the island that can be fun. The food isn't great, but the views are spectacular!
BuysToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
The big three for me are:

1. Metropolitan Museum of Art

2. Natural History Museum

3. Broadway shows

MOMA and Guggenheim are very good as well.
+1
Also Hayden Planetarium.
If you like Art Deco, don't miss Grand Central Station (an easy walk from Times Square).
Go to one of the TKTS booths and get half price tickets to one of that evening's Broadway shows.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #11

Walk along the new highline park on the west side. It's a park that they built on top of an old elevated railway line. It's quite unique.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

The Intrepid museum .
We usually book hotels from Priceline for New York but last year we got the Cassa Hotel from Travelzoo. Great location(close to Times Square but not as noisy ) , extremely nice rooms with free internet .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

IMO, Times square was neat but the Met was better. Last time there King Tut was at the Museum of Nat History, would have loved to go but it was packed with school kids. Wicked was really cool at the Gershwin if you haven't seen it.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #14

Go walking in Manhattan. Take in the sights & sounds & the energy.

Grand Central to the Waldorf Astoria (good restrooms to St. Patricks, Rockerfeller Center, North on 5th past all the high-end retailers to Central Park. Wander around - or walk all the way to the Met & back. Come south on 7th through Times square and then East on 42nd to the NYC Library.

Google NYC walks & you'll find some to suit your tastes.

Definitely agree on the museums especially the Met.

September is a beautiful time to see Manhattan. Have fun!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Added to those good suggestions: walk across the Brooklyn Bridge
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
Administrator

Use the subway. It is easy, relatively inexpensive ($2.50 for a ride anywhere) and substantially quicker than a cab when the traffic is bad.

I would skip the Statue of Liberty. The lines to get on the boat are horrendously long due to the security measures, and there's really nothing special about getting up close and personal. Take a regular harbor cruise instead. They will drive by the Statue of Liberty on the boat and you can take plenty of pictures. It is most impressive seen from the water anyway. You'll also get to see a lot of other things.

I would also skip Times Square. You've seen all you need to see on New Years Rockin' Eve with Dick Clark. It is otherwise noisy and miserably crowded, and the stores and restaurants around there are nothing but tourist traps.

I would go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and perhaps the Frick if you have time. That and a walk in Central Park would be a full day in and of itself. The Natural History Museum is also fun. If you've never seen a Broadway show, you can try TKTS for cut price tickets. If you are into opera (and who isn't?), the 2013-14 season opens at the Metropolitan Opera on September 23rd, with Eugene Onegin and Cosė fan tutte alternating nights for the first week

Be prepared to spend a lot at a restaurant for dinner.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisaukcam View Post
Going to New York for the first time ever this September for a wedding on Fire Island. I understand that the statute of liberty is closed. And we aren't really interested in seeing the Empire State building. Might visit Times Square just to say that we have been there and also take in a broadway show, again so we can say been there, done that.

Any other things to see and do that are worthwhile? Any travel tips? I understand that you probably don't want to drive - either do the subway or take a cab.
There seem to be two kinds of people in the world. Those that fall in love with NYC and those that hate it. On the chance that you fall in love, you have more than plenty of suggestions of things to do already (DO include Times Square - even though all the bad things about it are true!) And consider a Gray Line Tour.

My suggestion is to allot plenty of time - just in case you fall in love. Oh, and don't be surprised if you DO fall in love. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post

Grand Central to the Waldorf Astoria (good restrooms to St. Patricks, Rockerfeller Center, North on 5th past all the high-end retailers to Central Park. Wander around - or walk all the way to the Met & back. Come south on 7th through Times square and then East on 42nd to the NYC Library.

Google NYC walks & you'll find some to suit your tastes.

Definitely agree on the museums especially the Met.

September is a beautiful time to see Manhattan. Have fun!
I couldn't have said it better. If I had to pick one area I would take to the streets of midtown and explore. I've travelled to the city for business every month or so for years and this area is still my favorite.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #19

We went for the first time last summer. Enjoyed MOMA, Central Park, Ellis Island Museum, and the Natural History Museum. Eat pizza. Visit the Tks Tks booth in Times Square for discount Broadway tickets. The Rockefeller Center tour was a real highlight of the trip, really fascinating history of the city and media. Biggest disappointment was the Empire State Building. If you want to see Ground Zero, order tickets in advance of your trip.

Have fun!

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Driving in Manhattan can be fun. It's the parking that can spoil it.
+1 - been there many times and "usually" drive in Manhattan. It's not that bad! But, parking can be "interesting" and expensive. I'm sure I wouldn't want to drive there every day if I lived there. The Empire State building, Times Square (at night) and Central Park (during the day ) were all on my to do list on my first visit.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote