Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2009, 08:33 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - somehow life without a gas sucking V8, rubber burning in all four gears American car/truck is mentally inconceivable.

I graduated high school the early 60's - think Happy Days the movie.

Public transport has a negative picture in my mind. Even though I know it's a predjice that doesn't fit reality in many many cases.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I think not owing a car is a real mindset and believe it would be more of a struggle for an American than for a European.
It all depends on where you live. Major cities (Paris, London, etc.) tend to be more "walkable" and have the critical mass to support a good public transportation system. The correct comparison to these European cities would be similarly sized U.S. cities, like NY. I didn't get my first car until I was 32. I bought it as a complete luxury, and it still is.

As it turns out, I'm just now leaving for a walk down to the book store to browse some travel guides (thinking Scotland) and will pick up some Harp & Guiness for Black & Tans, vegetables for dinner, and some supplies at the Hardware store on my way back.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I think this is very true, especially for a guy. If a potential date does not even have access to a car, it can be hard for a financially independent woman not to wonder about his motives.
Why is this particular financially independent woman so lacking in imagination? If the money is not in the car, then it's in the bank.

Like I said before, there is no getting away from the social norms. You can try, but people are fundamentally lazy, so unless all your queues trigger the right responses, you'll strike out, if not on the first pitch, then maybe on pitch 2 or 3.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #44
Administrator

I lived on the road for nearly 4 years. I was able to keep my cost of living VERY low and live VERY well. Buenos Aires was where I started my journey (after doing research and determining it was the best quality of life for the money IMO at that time). After that I headed to Brazil then Australia, SE Asia, Europe and Africa. You have to be crafty and spend a lot of time looking for affordable accomodations but it's definately possible to live well on the cheap from all over the globe. In Europe I went to places like Brest, France (in Brittany) where I could afford an apart-hotel since it was affordable. I also found nicely priced places in other off the beaten track smaller cities like Malmo, Sweden (instead of Stockholm or Copenhagen), Laiden, Holland (instead of Amsterdam), etc. A great way to get values is to enjoy a touristy town in the "shoulder season". This is like going out to Cape Code, MA or Destin, FL in the fall when the weather can be decent but the hoards or tourists have left. The abundance of accomodations and reduced demand make for a great way to find bargains. I'd highly recommend nomadic living for anyone adventurous enough to give it a shot...
Old 05-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #45
Confused about dryer sheets

Apples & Apples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I liked this comment, listed after the article:

To me, the nomadic lifestyle makes fire and brimstone look really good in comparison, and I think the article is an illustration that "You get what you pay for". But for those to whom this lifestyle is attractive, apparently it could indeed bring with it substantial savings.
I can't speak for the other locations listed in the article, but I can speak for the South African references - they certainly weren't slumming it in South Africa. Newlands is a very nice, desirable area to live in, in Cape Town, which is one of the most beautiful parts of South Africa. Going on their SA budget, they were living a good life in SA!
CathD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nomadic lifestyle can be exciting. Life is never dull. I did it for one year from 1992 to 1993. I started in London and finished up the year in China. I thought I would travel some once I retired but I have an elderly cat and dog! It was inexpensive and a great experience. But for now my pets need me (which has become very expensive).
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

This whole idea of nomadism is very interesting to me. At this point the idea is not interesting so much from a travel point of view (although there are places I'd like to go) as it is from a asceticism point of view. I am more and more finding appealing the idea of ditching a lot of my stuff, up to and including my house and car.

The thing I wonder about is exit strategy...once I've gotten my fill of travel and the nomadic lifestyle, I'm not sure I could make myself lay out the several hundred K it would take to buy back into the typical US lifestyle of a home and car. I would also wonder about "locking myself out" of that same US lifestyle if I somehow decided to spend my home and car equity on travel and experiences.

How have others handled this?

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #48

If by locking out you mean mentally not being able to bring yourself to spending the money again, then I don't see a problem. You may find that you don't miss the car and the house anyways.

I have downsized a couple of times already. I don't find myself miss not having two cars. One decent car is more than enough. A house with a guest room, a computer room, and a workout room is certainly nicer than a condo, but realistically, the guest room is used maybe 15 days a year, and does my computer really need a room by itself? As for the home gym, I can work out at the local gym, go for a run, or use the company gym. Even when I had the home gym, I did most of my best workouts at the TKD gym.

I don't know if I would want to move from hotel to hotel for years on end, but a fifth wheel or a sailboat could be nice.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #49

I've been seriously pondering this idea and the main stumbling block is my dog. I'd have to find a temporary home for him. Other than that, I'd be willing to rent out my townhome so I'd have a place to return to. And I'd store my car somewhere (where?). The details appear difficult but are probably not overwhelming.

One thing I wouldn't do at my age is to sell my home and use equity for a year of living nomading. No way.

Here's a woman who became a "female nomad"
http://www.ritagoldengelman.com/
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #50

I think even if one chooses the nomadic lifestyle it must be nice to have your home base to come back to as Billy and Akaisha do. I think the key would be not to have your home base cost too much money.

We are thinking about buying a home base in Sydney - we are actually tossing up the idea of something overlooking Sydney Harbour as we figure we would be able to house swap with a lot of people if we got the right location. Alternatively we would rent it fully furnished when we were away, just taking out anything too valuable.

Oldbabe, I have to agree, I think it would be risky to sell your home for a lifestyle that you may not enjoy. Nomadic living is not for everyone I am sure.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote