Join Early Retirement Today

North TX BBQ?
Old 11-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

North TX BBQ?

Our route will be from the DFW area to Albuquerque, & the places that get a lot of attention, like Lockhart, are probably too far out of the way. Any recs for great 'q in that part of the state?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My somewhat biased opinion is that Central Texas does the best Q and mostly blows away what is available farther north, but there are good places all over the state.

Opinions vary, but for a starting point here's an article (albeit from 2010) listing some of best BBQ joints in the DFW area:

The Best Barbecue in Dallas (That’s Not Really in Dallas) - D Magazine
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

That route doesn't offer much when it comes to the best BBQ the state has to offer - too far north. But there are couple of top rated places in Ft Worth. Once you head west from there pickings get slim.

The two Ft Worth locations are listed here: The 50 Best BBQ Joints . . . in the World! | Texas Monthly
Old 11-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #4

Looks like there may be one other opportunity on your route: Big Boy's BBQ in Sweetwater.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Note that the Coopers operation in LLano has a branch in Fort Worth : Cooper's BBQ: Fort Worth, Texas | (817) 626-6464
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that the Coopers operation in LLano has a branch in Fort Worth : Cooper's BBQ: Fort Worth, Texas | (817) 626-6464
I'd recommend you give that one a try. I've eaten at two of their locations (the original in Llano and one in Junction) and they were both excellent!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'd recommend you give that one a try. I've eaten at two of their locations (the original in Llano and one in Junction) and they were both excellent!
I lived in Llano from 2006 to early 2013. IMO, The "original" Cooper's has gone downhill a little over time (IMO a victim of its own fame to a degree) but it is still one of the better BBQ joints out there. In the early springtime, on a nice day for a Saturday around lunch time when the temperatures are in the 70s and the wildflowers are in full bloom, you'll see a line of bikers and others wrapping around the building.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
+1 on Cooper's. When we drove back and forth between San Antonio and Oklahoma, we always stopped there. When we had the airplane, we stopped there often when out and about.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok, Cooper's it is, and Sweetwater looks to be only an hour out our way, so we'll head there too!
Years ago we found a good joint in Wichita Falls, but I don't recall the name.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
Our route will be from the DFW area to Albuquerque, & the places that get a lot of attention, like Lockhart, are probably too far out of the way. Any recs for great 'q in that part of the state?
There is actually a Lockharts in Plano now, if you are close.
Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

If you want to stop in Amarillo, the Big Texan has good steak... it is a big tourist stop with a bunch of stuff that you will either like or hate... but the steak was great...

Not sure how good their BBQ is though....

http://bigtexan.com/
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
If you want to stop in Amarillo, the Big Texan has good steak... it is a big tourist stop with a bunch of stuff that you will either like or hate... but the steak was great...

Not sure how good their BBQ is though....

http://bigtexan.com/
I remember that place from the late 60's. I can tell you he did not give away many free 72 oz steaks.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

On the way to Fort Worth you could start off with a couple ribs at North Main BBQ which is near the south end of DFW airport. Only open Fri, Sat,& Sun.

In Amarillo go on an stop by Big Tex ta grab an order of rattle snake chunks & calf fries to tide you over on the way to Tyler's BBQ.

I agree the hill country is where to go for Texas BBQ.
Texas BBQ Trail | The Ultimate Rating Guide to BBQ from David Sheehan of Sheehan Can
CENTRAL TEXAS BARBEQUE Is Reason Enough to Visit Austin
springnr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
There is actually a Lockharts in Plano now, if you are close.
Not sure about the one in Plano, but the Lockhart's in Oak Cliff runs out of food fairly early, especially on weekends...

And when they're out, they're out!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:26 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum is great, although you have to get there early and wait in a long line and they can run out of different items. Loved their brisket, ribs and sausage were good, but I've had better.
feelan is offline   Reply With Quote
follow up report
Old 12-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

follow up report

Never made it into FW to try Cooper's, but did get to Big Boy's in Sweetwater. First good sign was the copious smoke rising out back, next was the (obviously) local folk coming & going through the screen door.
Had the brisket & sausage plate with beans & slaw; everything quite good, but I'm not able to compare it to the hill country joints.
Some other time.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
So I assume you already live in the Metroplex as your route begins from there? So you are looking for BBQ in West Texas?

If not, Hard 8 in Stephenville is hard to beat. And although not a BBQ, Mary's in Strawn Texas has a giant burger and some big Chicken Fried Steaks.
Kaufmanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaufmanrider View Post
So I assume you already live in the Metroplex as your route begins from there?
Nope, just visiting. Will add your recs to the list for our next visit. Thanks.