Norway and Northern Lights - Feb '19

The concern about $85 thermals will seem quaint after paying for a couple of meals in Norway. :D
Yeah! I once paid something like $27 for a McDonald's quarter pounder, small fry and a coke in Oslo.

Same thing in Iceland. $25 is about average for a hamburger and a typical meal in an average restaurant ranged from 35 on up. A cheap generic beer was $9 and a good craft beer was $11 and up.

We spent some time in both Iceland and Sweden earlier this year and the Sweden prices were not quite that bad, but it's safe to say that Scandinavian restaurant prices are attention getters for Americans. Worth it, though. We had a fantastic time in both Iceland and Sweden, and are eagerly awaiting our trip to Norway.

Welcome to my Country! I've never done this myself. Would love to!

Clothing would depend a lot on the type of excursions. Are you going in a bus and popping out for a while to look at the show or are you trekking on snowmobiles for hours?

If it's a bus trip a warm jacket, glowes and a woolen hat or similar that you can take off should be OK. Or you will melt on the bus!

Cold temperatures in themselves is easily enough handed by clothes. But if you add some wind you get cold really fast! Wind on the ship if you stay outside for long - or on snowmobiles for example. If so then a bacalava is really nice.

Pics and film of the Northern Light often look better than the live show. So take some equipment. I used my phone. Turned out great.

And you should try Norwegian chocolate. Less sugar and more cream compared to what is usually made in Europe and the US. :smitten:

I've always wanted to see the Northern lights. Sounds like a great trip! Which cruise line? I'll have to put that one on my list...

Where I live, that kind of weather would require a sweater.

OK, I'm exaggerating. I'd tend to agree with those who say wear layers and don't spend too much on designer name brands. Have something to keep your head, ears, feet and hands warm.

I've always wanted to see the Northern lights. Sounds like a great trip! Which cruise line? I'll have to put that one on my list...

I don't know about the OP, but I'll be with Hurtigruten, which is a very good cruise line per se, but this part of their operation operates essentially like a ferry for the Norwegian coast. Leaves Bergen every day and heads north to Kirkenes, making a bunch of stops along the way, then returns to Bergen. So the three options are the cruise north, the cruise south, and the round trip cruise.

Yeah! I once paid something like $27 for a McDonald's quarter pounder, small fry and a coke in Oslo.

We went to TGI Fridays in Oslo, and two burgers, fries and Cokes were $60. All of Scandinavia is deadly expensive.

We found seeing the region (including St. Petersburg) is best done by cruise ship.

We went to TGI Fridays in Oslo, and two burgers, fries and Cokes were $60. All of Scandinavia is deadly expensive.

I lived in Norway for a year as a consultant. Most of the price is tax and VAT.

I used to go to a bar for a scotch....$47 for a shot of Johnny Black

I'm sure cruise ships are a good way to explore the coast and the fjords.

But there's a haze over the fjord where they're anchored for days, from the generators running the power for the ships.

Viking Ocean Cruises. Have sailed with them previously on a summer cruise though the Baltic region..........FABULOUS!

OP here....Guess I'll be eating all my meals aboard ship since I already paid for that!

Twobyfour's suggestion of a rainproof/windproof jacket is an excellent idea. Get a good one with a hood, waist drawstring and zippered underarm vents. The west coast of Northern Europe can get a lot of precipitation.

Underneath that you can layer with a fleece/lightweight down sweater, turtleneck and a good base layer of long underwear. The layers don't have to be bulky to be effective, and you can add or subtract as conditions require. Keep your head and neck warm, and you'll stay comfortable.

Where I live, that kind of weather would require a sweater.

OK, I'm exaggerating. I'd tend to agree with those who say wear layers and don't spend too much on designer name brands. Have something to keep your head, ears, feet and hands warm.

There's a resort about 50 miles east of Fairbanks, AK, called Chena Hot Springs. We stayed there overnight at the end of a cruise excursion to Fairbanks -- rented a car and drove there on our own. The place had motor coaches full of Japanese tourists who came out in droves at night to view the Northern Lights -- the night we were there the aurora looked like a flowing celestial river.

As you might imagine, man-made light pollution is at a minimum 50 miles east of Fairbanks. I highly recommend it for aurora viewing.

1/4 Norwegian here.

Take a look at Columbia Sportswear, particularly their interchange or 1 in 3 lines. Don't do down, it isn't good for damp climates. Buy a jacket large enough to accommodate a sweater beneath it. Also shop gloves.

Costco has "Little Hotties" for feet and hands. IMHO the feet version can be tucked into gloves if you only want to buy one type. The feet version has an adhesive to attach it to sox.

Norway is expensive, as expensive as San Francisco or NYC. Food is even more expensive. Their transit system is wonderful and reasonably priced.

I was in Norway last September. Be aware that some classic visitor spots are closed in the winter, particularly in Bergen, or on limited hours.

It had been years since I had visited and noticed that they have invested a lot of money in infrastructure. The drive from Oslo to Bergen is no longer an ordeal of switchbacks. Somewhere they found moles with sharp teeth, one tunnel was 10 miles long. That also helps with winter road maintenance.

Assuming you will fly into Oslo take the train to town.

Last edited:
If you are going with your wife, make sure to look at or buy an Oleana sweater (or two) while in Norway. Bergen has the factory store - I have several of these sweaters. They are not cheap, but I will probably be buried with them. They are beautiful, classical and lightweight - very practical for traveling in colder climes. I use them as professional 'jackets' when presenting, however, they are so comfortable they are also good leisure-wear.

There's a resort about 50 miles east of Fairbanks, AK, called Chena Hot Springs. We stayed there overnight at the end of a cruise excursion to Fairbanks -- rented a car and drove there on our own. The place had motor coaches full of Japanese tourists who came out in droves at night to view the Northern Lights -- the night we were there the aurora looked like a flowing celestial river.

As you might imagine, man-made light pollution is at a minimum 50 miles east of Fairbanks. I highly recommend it for aurora viewing.
DW and I went to Chena Hot Springs as well; however, DW planned the trip in October, when the moon was at it lowest. we were in Fairbanks one night, no lights as too much light pollution, we were in Denali one night, no lights, but once we hit Chena Hot Springs, first night, bang on the door at 2am and there they were, the Aurora Borialis in its green curtain glow, hanging there. it was Amazing. So, the best way to ensure to see the Northern Lights, it is best to be in the deepest of winter in Canada, Alaska, Iceland, or if this is not possible, plan to view them as close to this time as possible and when the moon would be at the lowest in sky. You want the sky dark. happy hunting.

Back
Top Bottom