Norway and Northern Lights - Feb '19

The Rodent

Recycles dryer sheets
DW and I will start in Oslo for a few days before boarding a small cruise ship in Bergen Norway. We will slowly sail up the west coast of Norway with several stops and shore excursion opportunities. Alta, Norway will the northernmost city at 69 degrees north latitude. Total trip about 2 weeks.

Reviewing historical temps from Feb 2018 on Weather Underground we expect average temps in the teens through 20's with some lows in the single digits and high's in the 30's. This is quite cold for us since we live in Southern California and personally believe anything below 60 is freezing! The warmest thing I own is a sweatshirt! This trip will be way out of our comfort zone, literally.

Looking for recommendations/experience on clothing. Everything from base layer garments to outerwear (and everything in between).

I've heard about the Under Armour (Base 4.0) and Columbia (Heavyweight II) base layer garments, but $85+ seems outrageous for a pair. However, I know nothing about the new high tech fabrics. I'd rather spend the money on a bottle of Whistle Pig Straight Rye Whiskey!

All comments and recommendations appreciated.

Cotton is fine. Long johns (top and botton) with sweat pants and pull over hoody on top. A down jacket / coat is a toaster and packs very small. Thermal or winter weight socks. Stocking cap on top. Mittens are warmer than gloves, but a tad clumsy. you need to add a nylon shell (running pants) only of it is windy.

The only item above that might be a bit "spendy" is the down jacket. Otherwise one of everything above could be had at Wally World for under $50 all in (can go up from there based on your value analysis).

Grew up in ND. Lots of -30 days each winter. Never needed more than the above.

Yep, spend the balance on quality adult beverages.

Cotton is fine. Long johns (top and botton) with sweat pants and pull over hoody on top. A down jacket / coat is a toaster and packs very small. Thermal or winter weight socks. Stocking cap on top. Mittens are warmer than gloves, but a tad clumsy. you need to add a nylon shell (running pants) only of it is windy.

The only item above that might be a bit "spendy" is the down jacket. Otherwise one of everything above could be had at Wally World for under $50 all in (can go up from there based on your value analysis).

Grew up in ND. Lots of -30 days each winter. Never needed more than the above.

Yep, spend the balance on quality adult beverages.
+1
Great advice.

I used to do research of aurora so spent time in both arctic and antarctic areas. Oslo is also going to be cold, but not as much as further north so you will need to comfortable in a range of temps.

If it were me, I would take a Gortex rain jacket to both cut the wind and keep you dry in rain or snow, a heavy fleece jacket, a light long-sleeve shirt (cotton, wool, synthetic...), mitts or ski gloves, and a beanie. I have rain pants that cut the wind but you might not want to go that far. Denim can be cold on the skin so getting a pair of REI long-johns will help keep your legs warm when it is < 20.

If it is sunny and no wind, just leave the rain jacket off and the fleece should be enough.

The big factor will be wind - if it is windy it is hard to stay warm when it is well below freezing. It goes right through fabrics. So think about that.

When in Oslo, go to Vigeland Sculpture Park. It is very cool. No pun intended. :)

DW and I will start in Oslo for a few days before boarding a small cruise ship in Bergen Norway. We will slowly sail up the west coast of Norway with several stops and shore excursion opportunities. Alta, Norway will the northernmost city at 69 degrees north latitude. Total trip about 2 weeks.

Quite a coincidence.
We have scheduled a very similar trip in March. Ours will be shorter, only about 10 days, from Bergen to Kirkenes. Then we'll finish with a few days in Oslo. We chose March because we're supposed to have the best aurora viewing around the solstice.

Personally, I like cold weather so that part is easy. I agree with what Red Badger wrote above, except that I would vote for wool over cotton. We love our Smartwool socks. A good down jacket is also a key. We like 180s earmuffs and have enjoyed using them for years so that's a good option if you don't want to wear a stocking cap. Don't forget your favorite kind of chapstick, since your skin will dry out in a heartbeat.

Have a wonderful time!

Should be a great trip - we only went up as far as Molde....wrong time of year...saw the Atlantic Road though.

Post pics wearing all the assorted recommended clothing. :)

Sounds like a great trip!

Layers are good. There's a big difference between single digits and 30s. I like a jacket with pit vents so ventilate if it is a little warmer.

Insulated boots with warm socks. If your feet get cold, it doesn't matter how warm the rest of you is.

Some kind of long johns with jeans. The high end ones you mention are better, but I don't know how much better.

Some kind of thermal shirt next to your body, then merino or other wool sweater, and a down parka (longer than a waist length jacket). Maybe another layer in there somewhere. A hoodie sweatshirt can be nice as an extra head/neck covering.

A balaclava to cover your face, and a beanie for your head. A scarf or neck gaiter to protect your neck. Some balaclavas have this already.

I like mittens with a thin glove underneath. That way you can use the Hot Hands between them rather than next to the skin, and if you need fingers you can take the mittens off and still have hands covered.

I get that you don't want to be extravagant on the clothes, but it is a once in a lifetime trip so don't skimp too much.

Another point is that the average temperature in northern Norway in February is only in the 20s (Fahrenheit). I don't consider that extreme at all. A temperature of 20°F with a 10 mph wind only gives a chill factor of about 9°F.

The first time I visited Iceland was in January and we had a chill factor around -55°F on a couple of days. THAT is extreme.

We have only visited Iceland and Norway in the summertime, the last time was end of June this year, spending 3 days inside the Arctic Circle. The daily newsletter on the cruise ship those days had the times for sunrise and sunset listed as “Not Applicable”.

Would love to go in the winter sometime and see the northern lights.

The first time I visited Iceland was in January and we had a chill factor around -55°F on a couple of days. THAT is extreme.

Those (-55) wind chill temps are not uncommon North Dakota. However, If you suggested ND weather is extreme, you'd get no argument from this expat. :)

http://http://articles.latimes.com/1985-01-21/news/mn-14199_1_temperature-records

Despite the warming trend, International Falls, Minn., had the nation's low for the morning at 34 degrees below zero. And a blizzard warning was posted for north-central North Dakota because of blowing snow. Jamestown, N.D., had a low of 24 below with a windchill of 83 below.

Those are pretty normal temperatures for Minnesotans. Nothing very special is required, though if you are outside in the some wind, cheap long johns or flannel-lined jeans will be an asset.

Check with the cruise line to see what they supply. IIRC some of the Antarctic cruises supply parkas and boots. Absent cruise-supplied boots I'd suggest some "pac" style boots with removeable felt insulating liners. Sorel (https://www.sorel.com/mens-caribou-...boots&dwvar_NM1481_variationColor=256#start=5) is the premium brand but for a one-time trip you can get by for much less money.

Absent a cruise-supplied parka, you will probably have to spend some money. Cabelas.com is a good place to poke around, waiting for sales. Buy something long, not just jacket length. Down is nice but expensive; I would personally go for synthetic insulation/cheaper. I made it through grad school wearing an Air Force surplus parka something like this: https://www.armynavysales.com/n3b-nylon-parka-alpha-mj111-385.html

Re cost, consider the clothing cost in perspective compared to the cost of the trip. Not a big deal IMO and you can still buy the whiskey.

Perhaps you can consider buying a Buff for around $20. They totally out perform scarves and make a huge difference under your parka.

BR

What is the probability that you will actually see the northern lights?

should be some sales about now. Black Friday and before & after. REI outlet. I prefer wool against the skin. A synthetic sweater or pullover. Light(ish) jacket. Then a gore tex rain jacket/pants. Good waterproof boots with wool socks

Before I was all geared up for snow I used my bike gear for several winters of snowshoeing. Maybe look at out of season bike stuff? I see Performance bike is going BK. Take a look in a week.

With this combo you would be able to pull a layer or 2 off if hiking hard. Or be comfy if sipping whiskey on the deck

Have fun

Don't know if your shore excursion is going to an Ice Hotel. We heard first hand from a traveler that it was underwhelming.

Sounds like a great trip!

Layers are good. There's a big difference between single digits and 30s. I like a jacket with pit vents so ventilate if it is a little warmer.

Insulated boots with warm socks. If your feet get cold, it doesn't matter how warm the rest of you is.

Some kind of long johns with jeans. The high end ones you mention are better, but I don't know how much better.

Some kind of thermal shirt next to your body, then merino or other wool sweater, and a down parka (longer than a waist length jacket). Maybe another layer in there somewhere. A hoodie sweatshirt can be nice as an extra head/neck covering.

A balaclava to cover your face, and a beanie for your head. A scarf or neck gaiter to protect your neck. Some balaclavas have this already.

I like mittens with a thin glove underneath. That way you can use the Hot Hands between them rather than next to the skin, and if you need fingers you can take the mittens off and still have hands covered.

I get that you don't want to be extravagant on the clothes, but it is a once in a lifetime trip so don't skimp too much.
+1. This is probably the best cost effective advice. The mistake I see most often in this situation is cold weather newbies don’t realize keeping hands, feet and head/face/neck warm is also important. A warm parka won’t matter if your face is freezing and you’ve lost all feeling in your fingers and toes - it’s painful.

But I wonder how long the OP is going to be exposed to the weather, can they duck into the ship or other indoors as needed? That’s a critical question IMO. Basic cold weather gear for someone who can escape the cold as needed doesn’t have to be expensive, you can use what you have in part and add a few pieces. Cold weather gear for someone who is going to be out in single digits and brisk winds for hours or all day with no escape would be very expensive. [Having lived, sailed and worked in Chicago for 25 years I have Gore-Tex outerwear (about $1200 list) and all sorts of other high tech (diminishing return) gear, but I wouldn’t recommend that just for a cruise...]

You want layers! Tops and bottoms start with breathable/wicking base layers (NOT cotton), mid layers (often fleece) and outer layers that are also wind proof - but they probably don’t have to be the latest high tech stuff. Your local REI or equivalent can outfit you, just tell them you want a reasonable cost solution for a cruise, not the latest high tech gear. And you may have some useable pieces already.

Doesn’t the cruise line offer specific clothing suggestions?

And seeing full starry skies (without ‘light pollution’), shooting stars and Northern Lights in person is stunning, I hope you have that experience.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is your cruise line but I consulted for Hurtigruten back in the day.

I was working there in January and was amazed that the weather was very similar to that of Boston. I was expecting 50 below but it was more in the 20's, 30's and some 40's. The Gulf Stream keeps it 'warm' despite the closeness to the pole but inland it can get frigid.

I'd follow the advice from posters above but remember that if you're not used to the cold, you might over dress...sweat is your enemy to staying warm.

The Gulf Stream keeps it 'warm' despite the closeness to the pole but inland it can get frigid.

Yes, the Lofoten Islands on the northwest coast of Norway have a relatively mild climate, making them a very popular destination. Surprising to everyone on a first trip there.

I see some suggestions for rain gear. If it's raining, they won't be outside looking for the northern lights above the clouds. That simplifies things somewhat. Goretex is expensive, and seems unnecessary in this case.

Layers! Multiple light layers work way better than one thick layer. It also goes for gloves - a liner works wonders as do glove & sock warmers.

The more expensive warm outdoor clothing is very comfortable for strenuous activity - ie., it wicks moisture from your skin and allows moisture to escape easily.

If strenuous activity is not on your schedule, I'd stick to the less expensive garments. They'll keep you just as warm.

One thing about wool garments close to the skin - you may feel itchy. Some people do, some don't.

If you're a member of Costco, their 32Degree warm underwear is quite good. Not crazy warm, but extremely affordable.

Keep your ears warm too.

If my wife took me to Bergen in winter, I'm sorry but I'd have to tell her to take the cruise by herself.

The young adults there are absolutely the most beautiful people I've ever seen. Very tall, very blonde and they have the sweetest disposition. I'd rather just spend my time in a bar just looking at the girls of Bergen.

If my wife took me to Bergen in winter, I'm sorry but I'd have to tell her to take the cruise by herself.

The young adults there are absolutely the most beautiful people I've ever seen. Very tall, very blonde and they have the sweetest disposition. I'd rather just spend my time in a bar just looking at the girls of Bergen.

Mrs Scrapr is very good at catching me "looking".You can tell by the marks on the top of my head :angel:

Mrs Scrapr is very good at catching me "looking".You can tell by the marks on the top of my head :angel:

Learn from hockey great Wayne Gretzky. Look where they are going to be, not where they are.

I get smacked around a lot less that way. :dance::LOL:

Just a thought:

Another source for cold-weather clothing is winter motorcycle gear, either brick & mortar or online stores. When I was riding in the winter I had a one-piece insulated suit with a removable lining, balaclava, full-face helmet (might get you some funny looks but it is well insulated with impact foam) insulated boots with footwarmers inside and winter motorcycle gloves. Not one square inch of skin was exposed. With this outfit I was good for about 45 minutes in temperatures down to 25° at highway speeds. And I'm a wimp when it comes to cold weather endurance. Below 25° I couldn't keep the face shield from fogging up.

So if there's a motorcycle store nearby you could adapt bits 'n pieces like the boots, gloves, balaclava and such.

The concern about $85 thermals will seem quaint after paying for a couple of meals in Norway. :D

Back
Top Bottom