Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

I'm originally from NYC. If it's your first time there, depending on your interests, here are some suggestions:

Fine arts:
1) Museum of Modern Art
2) Metropolitan Museum of Art
3) Frick Museum
4) Museum of Natural History

Walking around
1) Central Park
2) High-line (basically an old elevated rail line converted to a very nice park)
3) Times Square
4) Hudson River Park (runs along entire length of Hudson River)

Theater
1) Broadway, of course - Just pick a show, if you don't have anything in mind, you can get 1/2 off tickets at the TKTS counter in Times Square.
2) Public theater near Astor Place
3) Blue Man Group (where it started, also near Astor Place)

Major buildings/structures
1) Empire State Building
2) Freedom tower / 9-11 museum
3) Statue of Liberty

Fine Dining
1) Eleven Madison Park
2) Per Se
3) Gramercy Tavern

Just good food
1) Koreatown for BBQ
2) Chinatown for soup dumplings
3) Katzs' deli for pastrami sandwich
4) Pizza anywhere you see a crowd
5) Stay away from the street vendors selling hotdogs. The vendors selling gyros, lamb and chicken on rice around midtown are good, but stick to the ones with a long line.

Just hanging out / walking around / people watching (ie, doing what native New Yorkers do)
1) East Village
2) West Village
3) Tribeca
4) Pretty much anywhere below 14th Street
5) Take the ferry to Williamsburg Brooklyn
6) Take one of the commuter ferries on a round trip $2.50 for incredible views
7) Although a bit of an eyesore, the big red double-decker tourist buses are a convenient way for tourists to get around Manhattan without paying for taxis or taking the subway. Subways are not that bad though, but take some effort to learn.
8) Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (at night to see the NYC Skyline, if it's not too cold or windy).

rvbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbound View Post
I'm originally from NYC. If it's your first time there, depending on your interests, here are some suggestions:

Fine arts:
1) Museum of Modern Art
2) Metropolitan Museum of Art
3) Frick Museum
4) Museum of Natural History

Walking around
1) Central Park
2) High-line (basically an old elevated rail line converted to a very nice park)
3) Times Square
4) Hudson River Park (runs along entire length of Hudson River)

Theater
1) Broadway, of course - Just pick a show, if you don't have anything in mind, you can get 1/2 off tickets at the TKTS counter in Times Square.
2) Public theater near Astor Place
3) Blue Man Group (where it started, also near Astor Place)

Major buildings/structures
1) Empire State Building
2) Freedom tower / 9-11 museum
3) Statue of Liberty

Fine Dining
1) Eleven Madison Park
2) Per Se
3) Gramercy Tavern

Just good food
1) Koreatown for BBQ
2) Chinatown for soup dumplings
3) Katzs' deli for pastrami sandwich
4) Pizza anywhere you see a crowd
5) Stay away from the street vendors selling hotdogs. The vendors selling gyros, lamb and chicken on rice around midtown are good, but stick to the ones with a long line.

Just hanging out / walking around / people watching (ie, doing what native New Yorkers do)
1) East Village
2) West Village
3) Tribeca
4) Pretty much anywhere below 14th Street
5) Take the ferry to Williamsburg Brooklyn
6) Take one of the commuter ferries on a round trip $2.50 for incredible views
7) Although a bit of an eyesore, the big red double-decker tourist buses are a convenient way for tourists to get around Manhattan without paying for taxis or taking the subway. Subways are not that bad though, but take some effort to learn.
8) Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (at night to see the NYC Skyline, if it's not too cold or windy).
This poster knows his stuff, all great suggestions. If your going to those restaurants book a reservation now.

Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:57 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Am loving all the suggestions as we will be coming to NY on a Carnival Cruise ship next spring, as maybe we will stay a couple of days to see some sites, but if we don't...

How do we get from Cruise dock to Penn Station (thinking of taking a sleeper car train ride to Chicago) ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Am loving all the suggestions as we will be coming to NY on a Carnival Cruise ship next spring, as maybe we will stay a couple of days to see some sites, but if we don't...

How do we get from Cruise dock to Penn Station (thinking of taking a sleeper car train ride to Chicago) ?
The cab stand is right there when you come off the ship. Its run very professionally now, they will hail you a cab.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 06-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
The cab stand is right there when you come off the ship. Its run very professionally now, they will hail you a cab.
In Chicago O'hare airport there is a good and a bad way to get a cab.
The bad way is to grab one at the stand would cost $70- $90 for me, quoted by the driver.
The good way is to phone for a flat rate cab (O'hare has some phones for this), it cost me $45.

Any similar issue with NY cabs ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I ride public transportation into the city from LaGuardia. At the Hudson News stand in baggage claim buy a 7 day Metro card - $32 (cash only) then head outside and look for the curb sign for the M60 bus. The Metro card is good for buses and subway. This bus has room for luggage and airport workers and airline staff who live in NYC will take this bus. Schedule below. You have to use your Metro pass to buy a ticket for this special bus at the machine in front of the stop (other buses in the city you will just swipe the pass on the bus). I get off at Hoyt and 31st - you'll see the overhead Q, N subway behind the bus stop and a Dunkin Doughnuts across the street (just ask the driver to tell you when you get to the stop). Take the train into the city. Easy and cheap.

WESTBOUND

LaGuardia Terminal D
LaGuardia Terminal C
LaGuardia Central Terminal (Terminal B)
LaGuardia Marine Air Terminal (Terminal A)*
Ditmars Blvd/82 St & Grand Central Pkwy*
Astoria Blvd N & 77 St
Astoria Blvd N & Steinway St
Hoyt Ave N & 31 St N line (Q line)
E 125 St & 2 Ave
E 125 St & Lexington Ave 4 line,5 line, 6 line)
E 125 St & Madison Ave (Metro-North)
W 125 St & Lenox Ave (2 line, e line)
W 125 St & Frederick Douglass Blvd (A line, Bline, C line, D line)
Amsterdam Ave & W 125 St
Amsterdam Ave & W 120 St
Broadway & W 120 St
Broadway & W 116 St (1 line)
W 106 St & Broadway
*No service between 12 AM and 6 AM.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

WO HOPS! China town on Mont street. It was there in 1979. My ship was there for 9 months and we (the ward room) ate there weekly. My son went to NY last year and Wo Hops was still there and the food was as good to him as it was to us back then. Little Italy for desert!
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
WO HOPS! China town on Mont street. It was there in 1979. My ship was there for 9 months and we (the ward room) ate there weekly. My son went to NY last year and Wo Hops was still there and the food was as good to him as it was to us back then. Little Italy for desert!
its still there. been there since i was a kid,the late night option was always used after a night of clubbing.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #29

So born and raised in Harlem and Queens. these are my tips for friends visiting.

1) simply accept the hotel rates. IMO nothing kills a vacation with a hotel in timbuktu lol Queens or one that's seedy. I know Brooklyn and Queens are relatively easy to get to, but seriously do you want to be stuck on a train if some things happens after a day hanging out. lol, there's a reason we call them "bridge and tunnel" people.

2) as someone else said, "see a play". there is nothing, nothing like live theater in NYC. if price is a factor go to the tkts booth and get what ever is available. I've seen some pretty good shows that I probably would not have chosen on my own.

3) take a walking tour of Harlem, yes I'm biased since I grew up there but the history and sights are awesome and now that Hamilton is a big hit on Broadway you can see where some of the founding fathers hung out at.

4) Get a Pizza. then you'll find out why NYers take their pizza seriously. lol My favorite pizza is actually in Queens so I won't send you there but if there's a crowd outside safe bet its decent.

5) SHOPPING. sure we tend to be frugal here but it's ok to look.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #30

We stayed at the Westin near Times Square. Times Square has improved, not as bad as I remember years ago like the early 80s.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #31

Last time in NYC was April before 9/11. Would love to go back once more before I'm no longer able. DW has no interest, so I may do it on my own. Plenty of issues still in NYC (and getting a bit worse but way better than it used to be.) If you are going then don't go too cheap. It's sort of a once in a life-time and a week is probably JUST enough time to hit all the high points (Not near enough to really get to know the whole city.) I couldn't live in NYC but it's my favorite city to visit (5 times). Enjoy!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:19 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

very helpful!!
ShrinkDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:21 AM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi! Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. All you guys are helping to make this future trip less intimidating. Question: is there an advantage to flying into LaGuardia rather than JFK?
Old 06-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you so much. Question - is the NY Pass a good deal as advertised? And are the Expedia (and others) bundled deals legitimately better deals that separate bookings?
Old 06-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

that is very helpful. was the holiday inn in good shape? I did see the NY Pass advertised and from the ads it seems like a great deal
Old 06-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinkDoc View Post
Hi! Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. All you guys are helping to make this future trip less intimidating. Question: is there an advantage to flying into LaGuardia rather than JFK?
No, they both take about the same time to get to "the City", do not land from 3pm -7 pm, thats rush hour, you will learn first hand about the term it was a "Mob Scene", or "it was like a parking lot". The NY Pass, i never did it. We did 1 attraction at a time stretched out over a life time. When we travel by air we pick either LGA or JFK based on price and time of the flights.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in Manhattan & always prefer traveling in & out of JFK, not LaGuardia, because public transportation to & from JFK is easy, cheap & I like it. (I never take a taxi if I can avoid it - can be about $65 to or from JFK, with tip, from LaG about $35, & traffic can be slow during rush hour. It seems like a waste of $$ since the Air Train route is so good.)

At JFK: look for the signs to the Air Train & take the train to Jamaica or Howard Beach stations; you pay when you get off the train by buying a Metrocard, then take either the A train (subway) at Howard Beach or E train (Jamaica) to Manhattan. Cost for that trip is 8.75, which pays for the train ($6) plus the subway ride. If you're planning to use the subway during your stay, buy a card with more value (subway is $2.75 per ride). (You can also buy a 7-day weekly Metrocard [unlimited bus & subway rides], but the unlimited card cannot be used for the Air Train.)

Riding the Air Train always makes me feel very cool & hip - not crowded & mostly young people & tourists with their suitcases.

There is public transportation from LaG, but it involves a bus & a subway, not as smooth & convenient.
lucky penny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #38

LaGuardia is under a massive renovation, you DO NOT wan't to be anywhere near there.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #39

I have driven to NYC several times (yeah, I know!) from near Chicago. I drive to Newark airport, park in the long term lot and take the shuttle to the (help me here, locals) 8th St. Terminal (they call it something else, I think.) I've stayed twice at the Edison just a few blocks walk or taxi. As long as you arrive at more or less mid-day, it's never been a problem. I'd research it carefully before doing it again (since it's been 16 years now) as YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #40

Last July I picked up my Mother in law from JFK, I wanted to stick pins in my eyes. It was rush hour, she said it took her 30 minutes to walk from the terminal to the sidewalk. She only had a carry on. I got "chased" from my waiting spots constantly. I told the bride"next time tell her to take a cab. Ill pay".