Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Oh Boy - Jazzfest here we come
Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Oh Boy - Jazzfest here we come

New Orleans' Jazzfest line-up includes ... Jimmy Buffett, Neville bros, Jeff Beck, John Mellencamp, Robert Plant, Willie Nelson, Sonny Rollins, Dr. John, Cyndi Lauper, Allen Toussaint, Marcia Ball, Arlo Guthry, Robert Cray, Kermit Ruffins, Ahmad Jamal, Ricky Scags, Henry Butler and a million others.

We will be there this year, maybe meeting up with old Wisconsin friends. If you have never been there and love music, food, and weirdness on the streets it belongs on your bucket list.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like a great time! Can't wait to hear about the jazz experience.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like they need to change the name to the New Orleans Eclectic Music Festival. A lot of great names, light on the jazz. Still, wish I could be there. I'll be waiting for the review with bated breath. Have a great time!

Make sure to check out Trombone Shorty. I caught him last summer up here at the beach. What a great showman!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #4

Thanks Rich! We just booked a place in NOLA ($75/night)and have set up the alerts for less expensive flights!! We will be there the second weekend. One of those things that has been on our list of things to do...so time to roll! Hope to see you there!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Sounds like they need to change the name to the New Orleans Eclectic Music Festival. A lot of great names, light on the jazz. Still, wish I could be there. I'll be waiting for the review with bated breath. Have a great time!

Make sure to check out Trombone Shorty. I caught him last summer up here at the beach. What a great showman!
Yes - very entertaining. I left out some of the jazz names in my intro because they are best known among jazz fans only. But you are right - it's very eclectic. But boy is it fun.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
Thanks Rich! We just booked a place in NOLA ($75/night)and have set up the alerts for less expensive flights!! We will be there the second weekend. One of those things that has been on our list of things to do...so time to roll! Hope to see you there!
Great deal for Jazz fest week. I think we are there the opening week but may overlap.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #7

Looks like $225+ per night is the norm at that time for lodging!! Thanks to airbnb.com, we scored! The place through this site we found in Seattle was awesome! And even if less than stellar, how much time do we really plan on spending in our accomodations during a 3 day weekend??

W2R - do you stay in town during Jazz Fest?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

That line up is great . I would be there in a flash if I was not already booked for Alaska the following week .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
New Orleans' Jazzfest line-up includes ... Jimmy Buffett, Jeff Beck, John Mellencamp, Robert Plant, Willie Nelson, Cyndi Lauper, Arlo Guthry...
Yeah, when I'm thinkin' about jazz those are the first names that come to my mind. Apparently this is more than just traditional jazz genre. Either that or some Led Zeppelin standards are gonna get a dramatic makeover.

Holy crap, Arlo Guthry is 63 years old?!? No offense meant to those in that age demographic, but my mental image of him is frozen in Woodstock...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Willie Nelson? Jazz? You bet.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I seem to remember that you could see the N.O. jazzfest online last year. I wonder if they will do that again this year?
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Sounds like they need to change the name to the New Orleans Eclectic Music Festival. A lot of great names, light on the jazz.
i Haven't heard Sonny Rollins in years, but when I was in college I used to hear him in the Village. Divine music.

Arlo Guthrie "You can get anything you want..."

Ha
Old 01-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Wow! The band is just amazing on 'Georgia'. I didn't care so much for Wynton's little interjections in the verse, but his solo was outstanding. That piano player just nails it - he has so much command of that instrument he doesn't need to be 'flashy'.

More on the band here:

Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis: Two Men With The Blues - Wynton Marsalis official web site
Quote:
Assembled before this ever-changing backdrop were Nelson in his elegant southwest regalia; his longtime sidemen, harmonica player Mickey Raphael, dressed for the occasion in a suit and tie; and the always suave Marsalis, with his quartet pianist Dan Nimmer, bassist Carlos Henriquez, drummer Ali Jackson and saxophonist Walter Blanding.
-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Willie Nelson? Jazz? You bet.
Yeah, I've got the Two Men with the Blues album. I think Willie has some jazz in him, but Wynton isn't the best fit for the team up. But there's still some excellent music in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
i Haven't heard Sonny Rollins in years, but when I was in college I used to hear him in the Village. Divine music.

Arlo Guthrie "You can get anything you want..."

Ha
Sonny Rollins was the number one choice for me if I was going. I'm a tenor sax player and he and Coleman Hawkins were my inspirations. I had Doxy as my ringtone for a while.

As far as Arlo, he's still a good entertainer. I saw him last about 6-7 years ago. One of my buddies used to house sit his house (and hot tub) up in Stockbridge MA when he was touring back in the early 70s. He said he was really cool and unpretentious, a decent guy.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Oh boy! Your title is so right. We saw Arlo in '88 or 89ish at the Greek Theater with some even older performers, IIRC (or wasn't overcome with second-hand smoke) Pete Seeger and remnants of Peter Paul and Mary and maybe Mamas and Papas. We thought it was our last chance to be among (other) aging hippies. Live music--better than drugs, not that I would know.

Enjoy.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:55 AM   #16

If you go to jazzfest try to catch these guys. They play on royal street
quite often. or check their website for other gigs in NO .. They're awesome..

mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:23 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Outstanding!!
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I would love to go to that.

We might just do it!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post

Yes - we have theiri street CD - they sometims hang out on Bourbon.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Buckwheat Zydeco at the 2007 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote