Oh Boy - Jazzfest here we come

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
New Orleans' Jazzfest line-up includes ... Jimmy Buffett, Neville bros, Jeff Beck, John Mellencamp, Robert Plant, Willie Nelson, Sonny Rollins, Dr. John, Cyndi Lauper, Allen Toussaint, Marcia Ball, Arlo Guthry, Robert Cray, Kermit Ruffins, Ahmad Jamal, Ricky Scags, Henry Butler and a million others.

We will be there this year, maybe meeting up with old Wisconsin friends. If you have never been there and love music, food, and weirdness on the streets it belongs on your bucket list.

http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/band/maceo-parker-with-special-guest-pee-wee-ellis

Sounds like a great time! Can't wait to hear about the jazz experience.

Sounds like they need to change the name to the New Orleans Eclectic Music Festival. A lot of great names, light on the jazz. Still, wish I could be there. I'll be waiting for the review with bated breath. Have a great time!

Make sure to check out Trombone Shorty. I caught him last summer up here at the beach. What a great showman!

Thanks Rich! We just booked a place in NOLA ($75/night)and have set up the alerts for less expensive flights!! We will be there the second weekend. One of those things that has been on our list of things to do...so time to roll! Hope to see you there!

Sounds like they need to change the name to the New Orleans Eclectic Music Festival. A lot of great names, light on the jazz. Still, wish I could be there. I'll be waiting for the review with bated breath. Have a great time!

Make sure to check out Trombone Shorty. I caught him last summer up here at the beach. What a great showman!
Yes - very entertaining. I left out some of the jazz names in my intro because they are best known among jazz fans only. But you are right - it's very eclectic. But boy is it fun.

Thanks Rich! We just booked a place in NOLA ($75/night)and have set up the alerts for less expensive flights!! We will be there the second weekend. One of those things that has been on our list of things to do...so time to roll! Hope to see you there!
Great deal for Jazz fest week. I think we are there the opening week but may overlap.

Looks like $225+ per night is the norm at that time for lodging!! Thanks to airbnb.com, we scored! The place through this site we found in Seattle was awesome! And even if less than stellar, how much time do we really plan on spending in our accomodations during a 3 day weekend??

W2R - do you stay in town during Jazz Fest?

That line up is great . I would be there in a flash if I was not already booked for Alaska the following week .

New Orleans' Jazzfest line-up includes ... Jimmy Buffett, Jeff Beck, John Mellencamp, Robert Plant, Willie Nelson, Cyndi Lauper, Arlo Guthry...
Yeah, when I'm thinkin' about jazz those are the first names that come to my mind. Apparently this is more than just traditional jazz genre. Either that or some Led Zeppelin standards are gonna get a dramatic makeover.

Holy crap, Arlo Guthry is 63 years old?!? No offense meant to those in that age demographic, but my mental image of him is frozen in Woodstock...

I seem to remember that you could see the N.O. jazzfest online last year. I wonder if they will do that again this year?

Sounds like they need to change the name to the New Orleans Eclectic Music Festival. A lot of great names, light on the jazz.
i Haven't heard Sonny Rollins in years, but when I was in college I used to hear him in the Village. Divine music.

Arlo Guthrie:confused: "You can get anything you want..."

Ha

Wow! The band is just amazing on 'Georgia'. I didn't care so much for Wynton's little interjections in the verse, but his solo was outstanding. That piano player just nails it - he has so much command of that instrument he doesn't need to be 'flashy'.

More on the band here:

Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis: Two Men With The Blues - Wynton Marsalis official web site
Assembled before this ever-changing backdrop were Nelson in his elegant southwest regalia; his longtime sidemen, harmonica player Mickey Raphael, dressed for the occasion in a suit and tie; and the always suave Marsalis, with his quartet pianist Dan Nimmer, bassist Carlos Henriquez, drummer Ali Jackson and saxophonist Walter Blanding.

-ERD50

Willie Nelson? Jazz? You bet.

Yeah, I've got the Two Men with the Blues album. I think Willie has some jazz in him, but Wynton isn't the best fit for the team up. But there's still some excellent music in there.

i Haven't heard Sonny Rollins in years, but when I was in college I used to hear him in the Village. Divine music.

Arlo Guthrie:confused: "You can get anything you want..."

Ha

Sonny Rollins was the number one choice for me if I was going. I'm a tenor sax player and he and Coleman Hawkins were my inspirations. I had Doxy as my ringtone for a while.

As far as Arlo, he's still a good entertainer. I saw him last about 6-7 years ago. One of my buddies used to house sit his house (and hot tub) up in Stockbridge MA when he was touring back in the early 70s. He said he was really cool and unpretentious, a decent guy.

Oh boy! Your title is so right. We saw Arlo in '88 or 89ish at the Greek Theater with some even older performers, IIRC (or wasn't overcome with second-hand smoke) Pete Seeger and remnants of Peter Paul and Mary and maybe Mamas and Papas. We thought it was our last chance to be among (other) aging hippies. Live music--better than drugs, not that I would know.

Enjoy.

I would love to go to that.

We might just do it!

I love Jazzfest. The name is deceiving, it's the most eclectic music event around. Last time I remember seeing a rapper on one stage while at the same time there was a jam band on anther stage and we were standing next to an African band who was playing inside a merry-go-round outside the gospel tent. The day time event is just part of the fun too, the night time shows at all the clubs around town are nothing short of amazing.

With a 16 month old kid and pregnant wife it does not look like we will make it this year. :(

Back
Top Bottom