Join Early Retirement Today

Oh no, not bed bugs!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh no, not bed bugs!

So, I am about to leave on my last work-related trip not too far away (close enough to avoid air travel hassles), and I find out through the Bed Bug Registry that the hotel I am, or was, booked in, has had reports of the buggers. That's the last thing I need - to bring back gifts that keep on giving.

I saw a thread here last year about the topic and replied but found it was stale, so I'm starting a new one.

Never had a bed bug, never want one, and wouldn't know what to do if I found an unexpected bedmate. Are they getting worse, or are proprietors doing their best to get rid of these guys?

I'm probably going to stay with a friend nearby, or failing that, just cancel the trip and get on with it...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was paranoid about travelling after all the publicity of bedbugs but after several trips I haven't seen any . I also have a large group of friends who travel regularly and no one has gotten bedbugs so maybe it was overblown .

Old 06-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

My husband and I always check for them when we stay anywhere.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Me and my wife take a few precautions every time we travel...

Check the bed when you first get in the hotel, all the way down to the mattress. Do this before you open up any luggage or settle in.

When you get home, if it is hot outside (or below freezing in the winter), keep your luggage in your car for a day. The heat and cold kills them.
When you bring your luggage into the house (whether you kept it in the car or not) put all your clothes directly into the washing machine, then the dryer, and put your suitcase outside in the sun/cold.

It's really not any extra work, just delays putting your clothes away for a day.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by naggz View Post
When you get home, if it is hot outside (or below freezing in the winter), keep your luggage in your car for a day. The heat and cold kills them.

When you bring your luggage into the house (whether you kept it in the car or not) put all your clothes directly into the washing machine, then the dryer, and put your suitcase outside in the sun/cold.

It's really not any extra work, just delays putting your clothes away for a day.
We travel (and our son has had BB's in his previous apartment, thanks to a former roommate) and do the same thing.

Our luggage is stored (between trips) in the storage loft above our garage (hot, hot, hot in the summer; cold, cold, cold in the winter) and only pack a day before we leave again.

After we've finished, the packed luggage spends the night in the garage, outside of our normal living areas.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Our luggage is stored (between trips) in the storage loft above our garage (hot, hot, hot in the summer; cold, cold, cold in the winter) .
That's probably much smarter than in the car, in case it isn't hot / cold enough, now the car will have bed bugs. I think I'll have to change my technique.

Thank you!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:18 AM   #7

I make the same precautions as mentioned in the thread regarding luggage and clothes but I keep forgetting to clean my handbag too. I once stayed in a 5 star golf resort in China and was bitten 5 times on my face. How ironic!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Daugher was doing a university coop work term staying in student housing this summer and her and her roommates were bitten. Not nice. University moved them to another building, but there was a lot of emotional stress along the way. I would bet that pretty much every university has had them by this point, and perhaps every hotel of every star level.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #9

We stayed in an old motel in Santa Fe this year and believe the gal got bit repeatedly. The place was well worth it. Guess we are just too hard bitten or too used to being around a bunch of flea bitten cats.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My GF's church lets a homeless group sleep in their lower floor at night. This group brought in bedbugs, in fact all the homeless people are very conscious of bedbugs because their opportunities to rid themselves of them are so limited.

Anyway, the church brought in some exterminators which use bedbug sniffing dogs to check on how things are going. Nice big yellow lab, who clearly takes his responsibility seriously.

Ha
Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
I make the same precautions as mentioned in the thread regarding luggage and clothes but I keep forgetting to clean my handbag too. I once stayed in a 5 star golf resort in China and was bitten 5 times on my face. How ironic!
You may be falsely accusing the bedbugs and the hotel. Where we live it is impossible to keep mosquitoes out. They get in every time you open the door. The mosquitoes will bite any exposed skin. When in bed at night your face is usually exposed.

Personally, I prefer the occasional bite on the face rather than using enough poison to kill all the mosquitoes that get into our house.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:20 AM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

um, I’ve never noticed such thing…and it’s disgusting! I travel a lot and have stayed in many hotels around the country in the past years, but never saw a bug, I think maybe because I never thought of that?
I always saw the staff clean the rooms when checked in, so I thought “yes, it’s clean now”. As to luggage, you know, only one packsack with all my stuff, I would throw it in the washing machine as soon as I came back.
But I’m afraid I will never fall asleep without checking for the bugs, a little scary. Well, do you think the famous chain hotels will do better?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Here is a link to the site the OP commented about.

Bed Bug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America

Since I have become aware of the problem in hotels... I have been using this site to at least be informed.

I assume that when hotels are informed they address the problem. But when a hotel has many, many posts over time.... it is definitely one that we will avoid all together!

We have begun checking the room a little before we settle in. Call it paranoia, but it is fairly easy to check for signs... better to be safe than sorry. So far, we have not seen signs of them at hotels we used.... but we have not traveled much since I became aware of it. I intend to keep up the vigilance.

It would be terrible to carry the critters home in one's luggage or clothes.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #14

I think too many people assume everytime they are staying at a hotel and get bitten that it is bed bugs. Big hotel chains take it pretty seriously, and from what I have seen online a lot of people say bed bugs in an endeavour to seek some compensation.

I say this as someone who did get bed bugs and had to have their entire apt. fumigated after suffering for months.

Just practice common sense whenever you stay at a hotel. Don't leave anything on the floor, keep your bags zipped up at all times, if you have room in the bathroom that's where to put them. When you bring you bag home, if you want to go that extra step, enclose the bag in a big plastic bag and leave it in the sun for 10 days or so.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote