Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2015, 11:33 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We did a 4000 mile trip on our (at that time) 15 year old Camry. 190k miles on the clock.

The real issue is whether the vehicle has been maintained properly. Ours was and is still on the road. Never leaked or burned any oil. No major repairs other than the usual wear/tear. Just hope our Honda gives us the same great service.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2015, 12:01 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did a 1250 mile trip wandering up from La Quinta Ca to Oregon at the beginning of summer using our pretty recent BMW 528it wagon, 2000 model year, but it does now have over 325,000 miles on the clock.

The iffiest trip was in a 1953 GMC longbed from Oregon to Santa Fe NM back in 1975. Truck had no speedometer, one wiper arm, about 80 degrees of free play from center on the steering wheel, giant split rim wheels with ancient tires - an absolutely absurd thing to run down the road. Survived the trip. Had one massive explosion in Salt Lake city when a tire came apart big time - ran across the highway to a junkyard and bought another ancient tire and wheel off an old panel milk truck and made it to Santa Fe.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #23

Never took any long road trips but for first 3 years of marriage while in college only car was a 1930 original Model A Ford Coupe. Kept it for 20 years and finally moved on. Worst was the original mechanical brakes...it was instinct to reach for the hand (emergency?) brake when needed.

Anyone notice how incredibly dependable cars are today vs say the 50's, 60's and 70's? If you went on a road trip the highways were dotted with signs "mechanic on duty" or you saw people broken down all over. Admittedly we currently have late model cars, but even with DW's 13 yo Acura it was never even a thought that it might break down on a trip.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Every 2 years I take my 50+ yo car on a long trip. Usually 2-3K miles. Usually I'm part of a convoy of similar cars. If they break we can usually fix them at the side of the road. So far the biggest jobs have been replacing a water pump and head gasket.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

2003 Yukon, 180,000 miles, regular 1000 mile trips.
Way back, 1987 Chevy van, 200,000 miles, 3000 - 3500 mile trips to Wyoming and Montana (from Texas).
Old 09-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Anyone notice how incredibly dependable cars are today vs say the 50's, 60's and 70's? If you went on a road trip the highways were dotted with signs "mechanic on duty" or you saw people broken down all over. Admittedly we currently have late model cars, but even with DW's 13 yo Acura it was never even a thought that it might break down on a trip.
Took a trip to Canada in our 7 years old 1971 Pontiac Bonneville with 65K miles on its clock. The car was burning a quart of oil for every gas fill up then the transmission went about a month after we returned. The cars are so dependable now that in 2012 we drove almost across country to deliver our son's car a 2002 Honda with a 160K miles without any problems other than a flat tire.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not a car, but I take my 55 year old plane on cross country trips often. Next month I plan on flying from SW Florida to Chicago and back.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Drove a '71 Impala, with around 200k miles on it, from Indiana to Texas, pulling a U-Haul trailer.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #29

I had a '94 Ranger that I routinely took back and forth from ATL to Little Rock (about 1,000 miles round trip). I did that about once a month until I sold it at 210K miles...it still ran like a champ when I sold it.

I have a friend that has a '01 Accord with just shy of 260K miles on it. He takes it every other weekend from Lubbock, TX to SW Oklahoma (about 600 miles roundtrip). I don't think he's ever had an issue.

For me, I wouldn't think twice about taking a high mileage vehicle on a roadtrip (our cars don't qualify at 82K and 42K miles) by myself but I don't know that I would take the wife and kids (if I had kids) anywhere too desolate with a car over 150K miles.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #30

On a road trip now. Maiden voyage for my 1978 Airstream Argosy.
NY to Ohio went well so continued on to Colorado. Blew a hose on the way but all seemed okay so onto California.
About 200 miles from my destination the alternator started acting up. Just replaced it today, it was the only new part on the engine. I think the radiator fluid got in there and help ruin the bearing.
The previous most silly ride was a 10 year old rusted to pieces Chrysler Newport I took the wife and kid to Disney World in.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #31

So excited for you!!!
Holler if you need anything, we learned quite a few tricks with our 76.
Yay for the Argosy getting on the road!! Not bad to just have a hose and the alternator go on you.
If you get that weird "won't start when warm thing" we've got tips.
Hope you are having fun!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:01 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I'll be taking my 2004 (168K) Toyota Highlander down to FL in a month or so, towing our 2002 VW TDI Beetle on a dolly. We've done this 1100 mile trip a few times with no problem, although I'm knocking on wood as I type.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:37 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

We packed our family of five into our 15 year old Honda Accord with 160,000 miles on it and drove from North Carolina to Quebec City, Canada via NYC and Philly. I believe we racked up about 2,500 miles on that trip.

No mechanical problems but we did have a big boo boo in the middle of the Adirondacks. Unbeknownst to me, the car (my wife's car) had an alignment problem and the tires wore unevenly. They blew out half way through the Adirondacks. The spare was rusted into the tire well in the back but I eventually bashed it loose. NY State Police hung out with me while I was getting the spare installed. Fun times - the kids sat on a grassy slope eating leftover Taco Bell watching daddy fix the car. Fortunately that cop stopped by because cell phones don't get reception out there.

We limped into Montreal a few hours later on that spare. I guess we could get a flat on any car new or old, but I probably should have replaced the tires and fixed the unknown alignment issue before leaving on a 2500 mile road trip that was supposed to last 5 weeks (we came home after 2.5 weeks). I got to negotiate the purchase of new tires and an alignment in French, so that was cool.

I'm really thinking hard about getting a newer car since the primary purpose of our car(s) in retirement is road trips (local driving is only about 100 miles/month). If it was just me or DW and me, no biggie. But with 3 young kids, I don't think spending the night in the car if it breaks down and we can't get help is a good plan B.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:52 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm really thinking hard about getting a newer car since the primary purpose of our car(s) in retirement is road trips (local driving is only about 100 miles/month). If it was just me or DW and me, no biggie. But with 3 young kids, I don't think spending the night in the car if it breaks down and we can't get help is a good plan B.
I don't know, that sounds like the kind of adventure they'll remember for the rest of their lives. Family bonding.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:43 AM   #35

Exactly! And if you are lucky, those girls will remember that Daddy got the car going again and be sure to marry men who can fix things!

Or even better yet, those budding little engineers will want to learn how to fix things themselves!

Old 09-29-2015, 08:40 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't know, that sounds like the kind of adventure they'll remember for the rest of their lives. Family bonding.
It was a really really nice day in the Adirondacks. We didn't even know we were crossing through the Adirondacks or that it was in upstate NY (just blindly following the GPS). So yeah, I guess they will remember that time. I know I will! For the first hour or so of bashing on the spare tire assembly, I wasn't sure I could get it loose from the tire well. And wasn't sure I could get a tow truck or taxi to come out to the middle of the Adirondacks (it was starting to get late on a Saturday afternoon on a holiday weekend).

All's well that ends well but we were almost 6 hours late getting to our Airbnb in Montreal (the bridge into Montreal was closed for the fireworks display, GPS had a hard time rerouting us into the city; we went through downtown where the fireworks watchers crowded the streets and traffic was crazy, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Exactly! And if you are lucky, those girls will remember that Daddy got the car going again and be sure to marry men who can fix things!

Or even better yet, those budding little engineers will want to learn how to fix things themselves!
They're learning how to fix stuff themselves. Just had the 3 year old outside yesterday pressing on the brakes for me so I could troubleshoot the brake light in my 15 year old Civic. Don't worry - keys not in the ignition so he couldn't drive anywhere.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
This reminds me of a "when I was a kid story". My Dad used to LOVE running around with less than 1/4 tank of gas. Not sure why, but he did. So...one Sunday, we were heading to lunch after church when we run out of gas. Well, thankfully, the house is just a couple of miles away, so Dad goes to get another car to get us. Well, just as he pulls up, that car too runs out of gas. To this day, I am not sure WHY he didn't bring a gas can instead of another car (I would guess it was empty too). To make the story even BETTER, the guy who pulled over to help us was our church's preacher! I guess that's why I NEVER run around with less than a 1/4 tank and after driving for 26 years, I have yet to run out of gas!
Old 09-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #38

Quote:
If you get that weird "won't start when warm thing" we've got tips.
Hope you are having fun!

I did have that happen. Squirt of started fluid got me back on the road.
Thanks for you and the husbands help.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
I did have that happen. Squirt of started fluid got me back on the road.
Thanks for you and the husbands help.
Anytime, anytime!
You got this!

Old 09-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #40

Quote:
There was a Dave Barry column about that a while back. "Cavemen" types who can kill tigers and bring back bear meat are no longer desirable. Now women want men who can set up a home network.