Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mentioned blasé animals in Kenya previously.....this shot, from thirty years ago, shows just a few, (I counted twenty in all), minivans that surrounded a sleeping lion, (he didn't even bother to wake up), in Amboseli.

We asked our driver why, with all this space, everyone was on game drives in the same area......he said that this is where the big animals, that the tourists want to see, are.

We replied, fine, let's go somewhere else.......went to a section where we were the only vehicle......saw ostrich, jackals, and a whole slew of smaller animals....it was great!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #62

Again, these photos are amazing, and a worthy distraction from the market conditions!
Gold star for the Charleston ones you posted--I just saw those!
Crazy to think that the game areas were that crowded 30 years ago. I saw 100s of people lined up along the road in Yellowstone to take photos of a bear...crazy!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #63

This composition, in Blue & Beige, is entitled "Hi Sailor - new in town?"

Nothing is known about the subject, other than that the pic was taken circa 1986/7 somewhere around Lagos, Portugal:

Old 02-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I think that you are right about itchy feet. When I was 19, living in Quebec, a friend and I bought an old VW van and travelled through Canada and USA.

After my wife and I were married and living in Calgary in 1979 we decided to change jobs and move to the west coast. We sold up but went to the UK first. Bought a used VW van and travelled through Europe for four months.

We travelled with and without our children. My son has the bug. My daughter does not.

We have always travelled. The first thing we did after retiring was downsize, store or belongings, and travel for seven months. Now we are back but we travel at least twice a year for 2-3 months at a time.

And we still have lots of places to see. If it was up to me, I would store everything and travel for 12-18 months quite easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
In the 1960s I lived with a bunch of guys in the Toronto Annex; people were coming & going, (we even had a guy knock on the door, looking for somewhere to 'flop', who had gotten our address from someone he'd met in Germany) - they told a story that, before my arrival, a few of them were sitting around exchanging travel stories.....one guy said that the tales were making him want to take off again.......a little while later he said "I think I'll go.....in fact, I think I'll go right *** now".

He got up, packed his bag, said goodbye....and nobody heard from him again.

Curse of the Traveler

On the restless road to nowhere
There's no certain peace it seems
Desire to keep on moving
Till the river of dreams
Is it just because someone told you
Is it just because you found
Old freedom feels uneasy when duty is around

Old 02-14-2016, 04:57 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Curse of the Traveler
Thanks for that....always liked Chris Rea!

It wasn't until 1986, (I'd be 44 in a few months), in Senegal, heading from Dakar to Tambacounda, (which used to be part of Mali), enroute to Niokolo-Koba Park, that I had an epiphany......if we'd've landed in Niokolo-Koba, I'd've been heading for Dakar. "What's over there? What's over there?"