Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Older Travel Pics.....Part II
Old 12-26-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Older Travel Pics.....Part II

(Part I expired)

After post #3398 on the 'Travel Planned' thread, I started looking to see if I actually had taken a pic at the airport in Uganda......while vainly searching I came across this group pic, taken in 1966 aboard a Greek ship heading from Oz to Athens.

I'm on the right, hand in pocket, wearing the jacket of one of those 'ready in 30 seconds' suits custom made in Hong Kong - didn't have time to try it on at the tailor's, and when the ship had sailed I found the pants were too tight.

(The guy in the middle was a fireman from England, and the other guy was from L.A.)

But there's a story about the older guy, (who'd be long dead now I presume), on the far left of the pic; he was a writer from (what was then) Rhodesia, and he & I shared a cabin. (On the older ships there were bunk beds and no ensuite toilets/showers, they were communal and down the passageway.)

So...we were in the thralls of a major storm, the tail end of a cyclone, and the ship is lurching from side to side and prow to stern, as they are wont to do in bad weather.

It's night, and I hear these plaintive calls, (there was a substantial amount of alcohol consumption aboard); I opened one eye and he's obviously trying to leave the cabin to visit the head...NOT an easy task given the way the ship is bouncing around......so, combining desperation with innovation, (I'm still pretending to be asleep), he urinates in his shoes, (thankfully not MINE).

We never discussed it, and I doubt he was ever aware of being observed.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
It is supposed to be good for leather but I doubt the insoles would survive!