Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Warning, thread creep.

For all the complaints, here is something the airlines do well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c_VGxfmDmEo

(This was not an ad, but an internal video)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Explain Apple, Inc.
Overpriced. Religion.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52
This is not exactly a revelation to many, but my recent dealings with United Airline customer service has become a comical travesty. Due to my recent surgery, I needed to cancel my flight. Per their protocol, I sent an MD letter with the request to waive the cancellation fee. Start to finish (i.e., to date) I have called them 5 times so far.
Each of the 5 times, the rep has a STRONG Indian accent. I presume Indian, but in any event the accent was clearly from that part of the world. Problem is with the accent. At least 3 of the calls I could not understand the rep; more importantly, the rep could not understand me. Why are they staffing these phones with people who do not understand American English (in my case, tinged with Brooklyn NY accent)?
I have had to explain what I want multiple times, because the rep kept answering a question I didn't ask. Clearly, he or she was working off of a cheat sheet and not listening to anything I said.
I am now on hold, for call # 5, for 15 minutes and counting. DW and I have combined 160,000 frequent flyer miles, so I might be stuck with them for the near term. If I can get over my "cheapskateness," I might forego those free flights for a different airline.
I don't fly much so I don't understand cancellation policies. As a business owner, it would seem to be sound business policy to change someone's flight without a fee if given adequate notice. That would come under Goodwill. But without adequate notice, I see no reason that a refund or exchange would be expected.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #24

It is important to remember that some of the lowest fares are offered specifically in consideration of a "use it or lose it" proposition. Making that level of commitment is part of the offer/acceptance relationship, so it wouldn't make sense, in such a case, under principles of Goodwill or otherwise, to essentially forgive a customer violating that commitment.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU
It is important to remember that some of the lowest fares are offered specifically in consideration of a "use it or lose it" proposition. Making that level of commitment is part of the offer/acceptance relationship, so it wouldn't make sense, in such a case, under principles of Goodwill or otherwise, to essentially forgive a customer violating that commitment.
I agree 100%.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #26

Airline service for us has actually improved a bit in the last 2 years. It is still far below the level of the 60s and 70s. The Atlanta airport and especially anything related to Delta there is still the pits though.

I like getting customer phone service from employees in India. They are usually very polite and efficient. Many friends (mostly old farts like me) complain about not being able to understand their accents but I have found that if you put some effort into it and actually try to understand what they are saying rather than being PO'd you can usually understand them.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatordoc50 View Post
I agree 100%.
....except they also have a stated policy to refund these fees under certain circumstances, such as medical. In my case, they made it nearly impossible to follow their own procedures. I did exactly what they prescribed, but once that error message popped up (which specifically directed me to call customer service), that was when this aggravation began.
As part of this now-cancelled trip, I bought 2 tickets to a Vegas show. Their conditions were explicit that there are no refunds under any circumstances, and I didn't request one.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
Airline service for us has actually improved a bit in the last 2 years. It is still far below the level of the 60s and 70s.
When fares were regulated and the average family never stepped onto an aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
I like getting customer phone service from employees in India. They are usually very polite and efficient. Many friends (mostly old farts like me) complain about not being able to understand their accents but I have found that if you put some effort into it and actually try to understand what they are saying rather than being PO'd you can usually understand them.
I think there are two types of companies that outsource customer service to India: One is just looking to provide excellent service more cost-efficiently. The other is trying to cost-reduce to whatever extent possible.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52
....except they also have a stated policy to refund these fees under certain circumstances, such as medical. In my case, they made it nearly impossible to follow their own procedures. I did exactly what they prescribed, but once that error message popped up (which specifically directed me to call customer service), that was when this aggravation began.
As part of this now-cancelled trip, I bought 2 tickets to a Vegas show. Their conditions were explicit that there are no refunds under any circumstances, and I didn't request one.
Sorry for your trouble. I didn't mean to imply that you weren't due a refund. I have no idea of what their policies are. I would think that a refund would be indicated if only out of your control. As in an emergency. Good luck to you in getting it and I hope you're feeling better.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
Warning, thread creep.

For all the complaints, here is something the airlines do well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=c_VGxfmDmEo

(This was not an ad, but an internal video)
Thank you for linking that. Best kind of thread creep.