Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
check6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 383
Warning, thread creep.

For all the complaints, here is something the airlines do well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c_VGxfmDmEo

(This was not an ad, but an internal video)
__________________

__________________
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bUU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Explain Apple, Inc.
Overpriced. Religion.
__________________

__________________
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marco island
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52
This is not exactly a revelation to many, but my recent dealings with United Airline customer service has become a comical travesty. Due to my recent surgery, I needed to cancel my flight. Per their protocol, I sent an MD letter with the request to waive the cancellation fee. Start to finish (i.e., to date) I have called them 5 times so far.
Each of the 5 times, the rep has a STRONG Indian accent. I presume Indian, but in any event the accent was clearly from that part of the world. Problem is with the accent. At least 3 of the calls I could not understand the rep; more importantly, the rep could not understand me. Why are they staffing these phones with people who do not understand American English (in my case, tinged with Brooklyn NY accent)?
I have had to explain what I want multiple times, because the rep kept answering a question I didn't ask. Clearly, he or she was working off of a cheat sheet and not listening to anything I said.
I am now on hold, for call # 5, for 15 minutes and counting. DW and I have combined 160,000 frequent flyer miles, so I might be stuck with them for the near term. If I can get over my "cheapskateness," I might forego those free flights for a different airline.
I don't fly much so I don't understand cancellation policies. As a business owner, it would seem to be sound business policy to change someone's flight without a fee if given adequate notice. That would come under Goodwill. But without adequate notice, I see no reason that a refund or exchange would be expected.
__________________
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bUU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,914
It is important to remember that some of the lowest fares are offered specifically in consideration of a "use it or lose it" proposition. Making that level of commitment is part of the offer/acceptance relationship, so it wouldn't make sense, in such a case, under principles of Goodwill or otherwise, to essentially forgive a customer violating that commitment.
__________________
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marco island
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU
It is important to remember that some of the lowest fares are offered specifically in consideration of a "use it or lose it" proposition. Making that level of commitment is part of the offer/acceptance relationship, so it wouldn't make sense, in such a case, under principles of Goodwill or otherwise, to essentially forgive a customer violating that commitment.
I agree 100%.
__________________
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 926
Airline service for us has actually improved a bit in the last 2 years. It is still far below the level of the 60s and 70s. The Atlanta airport and especially anything related to Delta there is still the pits though.

I like getting customer phone service from employees in India. They are usually very polite and efficient. Many friends (mostly old farts like me) complain about not being able to understand their accents but I have found that if you put some effort into it and actually try to understand what they are saying rather than being PO'd you can usually understand them.
__________________
CW4, USA-(ret)
RN, BSN-(ret)
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatordoc50 View Post
I agree 100%.
....except they also have a stated policy to refund these fees under certain circumstances, such as medical. In my case, they made it nearly impossible to follow their own procedures. I did exactly what they prescribed, but once that error message popped up (which specifically directed me to call customer service), that was when this aggravation began.
As part of this now-cancelled trip, I bought 2 tickets to a Vegas show. Their conditions were explicit that there are no refunds under any circumstances, and I didn't request one.
__________________
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bUU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
Airline service for us has actually improved a bit in the last 2 years. It is still far below the level of the 60s and 70s.
When fares were regulated and the average family never stepped onto an aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
I like getting customer phone service from employees in India. They are usually very polite and efficient. Many friends (mostly old farts like me) complain about not being able to understand their accents but I have found that if you put some effort into it and actually try to understand what they are saying rather than being PO'd you can usually understand them.
I think there are two types of companies that outsource customer service to India: One is just looking to provide excellent service more cost-efficiently. The other is trying to cost-reduce to whatever extent possible.
__________________
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marco island
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52
....except they also have a stated policy to refund these fees under certain circumstances, such as medical. In my case, they made it nearly impossible to follow their own procedures. I did exactly what they prescribed, but once that error message popped up (which specifically directed me to call customer service), that was when this aggravation began.
As part of this now-cancelled trip, I bought 2 tickets to a Vegas show. Their conditions were explicit that there are no refunds under any circumstances, and I didn't request one.
Sorry for your trouble. I didn't mean to imply that you weren't due a refund. I have no idea of what their policies are. I would think that a refund would be indicated if only out of your control. As in an emergency. Good luck to you in getting it and I hope you're feeling better.
__________________
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
Warning, thread creep.

For all the complaints, here is something the airlines do well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=c_VGxfmDmEo

(This was not an ad, but an internal video)
Thank you for linking that. Best kind of thread creep.
__________________

__________________
Married, both 62. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:41 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.