One day in New Orleans

I’ve stayed at both Hotel St. Marie and Maison Dupuy and recommend both as good options.

I will be staying at the French Market Inn on Decatur St in the first week of April.
I read the reviews, but does anyone here have any experience with this hotel?

For one or two days, one does not have time to do a lot.

We were there for a week in 2013, and enjoyed walking around the Audubon Park and having lunch in one of the many small restaurants in the area. Another day, we went for a walk through the Jean Lafitte Preserve. We also made day trips to Lafayette to visit Vermilionville, also Tabasco factory and Avery Island, etc...

Lots of things to do in a week. Before this trip, back in 2000, we were in New Orleans for only a weekend, and did not have much time to go outside the city.

I’ve stayed at both Hotel St. Marie and Maison Dupuy and recommend both as good options.

Scored a room at Hotel St. Marie for $125/night which is more than reasonable, so thanks for the recommendation!

Thank all of you for the great suggestions. Looking forward to the trip.:dance:

Scored a room at Hotel St. Marie for $125/night which is more than reasonable, so thanks for the recommendation!

Thank all of you for the great suggestions. Looking forward to the trip.:dance:

You’ll have to let us know how you enjoyed it afterwards! Have fun.

Try to catch the band tuba skinny if luck runs your way and they are playing out that day.

Schedule — Tuba Skinny

Doesn't look like luck is running my way. They will play just a day before we arrive and not again until after. This is just going to be a taste of NOLA. We plan to come back in the near future to spend a week so hopefully we will catch them then. They sound like a lot of fun.

You’ll have to let us know how you enjoyed it afterwards! Have fun.

OK, just got back. We arrived in New Orleans around 9AM and went to the WWII museum. What a great museum!! We spent 6 hours there and only got to see about 2/3rds of the place. "Beyond all Boundaries" a 4D a cinematic experience narrated by Tom Hanks was worth every penny. The USS Tang experience was so-so.

We arrived at the Hotel St. Marie around 4:30 and the check-in was easy. They have parking on site which is good as we forgot something in the car and were able to get it quickly. We opted for a street side balcony which was nice but it looked over Dauphine St. which was very quiet. We would stay again but would get a balcony looking over the courtyard which is not only cheaper but is not in the sun. The hotel is only a 1/2 block from Bourbon St but did not get much traffic from that quarter (Thank God!).

Went to The Original Pierre Mapero's for dinner and it was quite good (had a Yelp free appetizer check in deal). Had the fried green tomatoes as we had never had them. Delicious! DW had chicken and waffles and I just had the sample trio. For dessert we had bread pudding of course and that was excellent. There are better places so I doubt we would go there again.

On the way back we walked up and down Bourbon St and had a good chuckle over the party animals wandering around. Got a cocktail at the hotel bar and relaxed on the balcony.

The next day we walked down to Jackson Square and arranged for a carriage ride (again had a Yelp $5 off ticket) and then went to Cafe du Monde for the requisite begniet and chicory coffee. A totally enjoyable experience. Our carriage ride was really interesting and took us to Cemetery #1 where the driver excelled at giving us a lot of interesting info (especially about the crypts and how often they are used). The driver mentioned that Antoine's had a $20.18 special for lunch so we headed there. Antoine's is the oldest restaurant in New Orleans and is HUGE!! They have 14 dining rooms and I think the one we were in was an acre in size!! For $20 you got an appetizer, an entree and dessert. It was excellent and we would certainly do lunch there again.

For dinner we went to K-Paul's and I have to say that I was very disappointed in the dinner. Nothing was especially noteworthy. DW chicken was overcooked and the jambalaya I had was more paste than rice. Did I go on a bad day or are they living on their reputation? I don't know as I won't be going back.

We had a great time and plan to come back again for a longer period. There are so many restaurants I need to go to! :dance:

OK, just got back. We arrived in New Orleans around 9AM and went to the WWII museum. What a great museum!! We spent 6 hours there and only got to see about 2/3rds of the place. "Beyond all Boundaries" a 4D a cinematic experience narrated by Tom Hanks was worth every penny. The USS Tang experience was so-so.

We arrived at the Hotel St. Marie around 4:30 and the check-in was easy. They have parking on site which is good as we forgot something in the car and were able to get it quickly. We opted for a street side balcony which was nice but it looked over Dauphine St. which was very quiet. We would stay again but would get a balcony looking over the courtyard which is not only cheaper but is not in the sun. The hotel is only a 1/2 block from Bourbon St but did not get much traffic from that quarter (Thank God!).

Went to The Original Pierre Mapero's for dinner and it was quite good (had a Yelp free appetizer check in deal). Had the fried green tomatoes as we had never had them. Delicious! DW had chicken and waffles and I just had the sample trio. For dessert we had bread pudding of course and that was excellent. There are better places so I doubt we would go there again.

On the way back we walked up and down Bourbon St and had a good chuckle over the party animals wandering around. Got a cocktail at the hotel bar and relaxed on the balcony.

The next day we walked down to Jackson Square and arranged for a carriage ride (again had a Yelp $5 off ticket) and then went to Cafe du Monde for the requisite begniet and chicory coffee. A totally enjoyable experience. Our carriage ride was really interesting and took us to Cemetery #1 where the driver excelled at giving us a lot of interesting info (especially about the crypts and how often they are used). The driver mentioned that Antoine's had a $20.18 special for lunch so we headed there. Antoine's is the oldest restaurant in New Orleans and is HUGE!! They have 14 dining rooms and I think the one we were in was an acre in size!! For $20 you got an appetizer, an entree and dessert. It was excellent and we would certainly do lunch there again.

For dinner we went to K-Paul's and I have to say that I was very disappointed in the dinner. Nothing was especially noteworthy. DW chicken was overcooked and the jambalaya I had was more paste than rice. Did I go on a bad day or are they living on their reputation? I don't know as I won't be going back.

We had a great time and plan to come back again for a longer period. There are so many restaurants I need to go to! :dance:

dtbach, so glad you had fun. Yes - so many restaurants. Next time, try to make it out to Upperline and Commander’s Palace. Two outstanding local places. K-Paul’s may be living on reputation as its founder Paul Prudhomme is no longer alive. I haven’t been there for a long time so can’t say.

dtbach, so glad you had fun. Yes - so many restaurants. Next time, try to make it out to Upperline and Commander’s Palace. Two outstanding local places. K-Paul’s may be living on reputation as its founder Paul Prudhomme is no longer alive. I haven’t been there for a long time so can’t say.

+1 on Commander's Palace. Went there for lunch. The setting, food and service was fantastic. Much nicer looking on the inside than the outside.

DW just returned from 4 days in NOLA. This was our first visit.

We rented a car, but next time we will just stay in the french quarter. Everything is accessible via streetcar or tour busses, and is funner to explore without hassles of traffic. We did the hop on hop off bus. Most of the good restaurants are in the french quarter anyway, but you can easily get to the garden district also. For parking, we used an app (parkwiz)- you reserve a spot from a map and pay online. It was a breeze.

Favorite things to see: swamp tour (Cajun encounters). Very fun- especially the wild pigs that jump on the boat to be fed. Plantation tour (oak alley) was good.

We tried a bunch of restaurants, were happy at all of them.

Went to the WW2 museum. I really enjoy WW2 history, so I was surprised that I didn't find it very interesting. The planes and artifacts were cool, but I learn more from WW2 content on Youtube than most of the audio/video displays. Personal preference, I guess. We skipped the movies (I couldn't talk DW into that), but they are highly rated.

Back
Top Bottom