One day in New Orleans

dtbach

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi,
My wife is going to a convention in Biloxi, MS and following that we will have a day to visit New Orleans. Since we only have the day I figured we would probably just go to the French Quarter and walk/eat our way around.

I've heard parking is horrible so can you park a ways out and then just catch the trolley into the Quarter? Suggestions welcome.

And I love Cajun, so lunch/dinner suggestions welcome. Are Emeril's or Commanders Palace too touristy? i.e. just as good of food at others at more reasonable prices. I know eating there will be expensive, just don't want to inflate the price more than I need to.

+1 on Cafe du Monde. I’m now a huge fan of coffee with chicory. The earlier in the morning the better.
The muffuletta place was delicious, but I wouldn’t say it was exponentially more delicious than other solid sandwich shops. It was nice to get it and walk a few dozen paces to the bank of Old Man River and sit on a bench and watch the steady barges and young dog walkers stroll by.
DW and my favorite dinner spot was also one of the more reasonably priced: The Coronet. I’m a little surprised it was her favorite too as we don’t always agree on food and decor and such. I’m not much of a Bloody Mary guy, but theirs tasted like it’d been made from all fresh ingredients and it was wonderful. The ettoufe and craw dad gumbo were also great.

+1 on Cafe du Monde. I’m now a huge fan of coffee with chicory. The earlier in the morning the better.

Café du Monde might be a good choice (but, then again, I've never been to New Orleans).

But, you might want to try Café du W2R. And, as suggested, the earlier in the morning the better, especially if you want to get a good table.

Personally, I'd have coffee & beignets at Cafe du Monde and then head to the WWII museum, then go back to the French Quarter mid-afternoon for eating and drinking and people-watching.

Personally, I'd have coffee & beignets at Cafe du Monde and then head to the WWII museum, then go back to the French Quarter mid-afternoon for eating and drinking and people-watching.
+1
but then I enjoy US history and am a charter member of the WW II museum
And other than the beignets (a very good reason to break my diet for a day), Im' also more into enjoying the people/atmosphere of a place than the food so much, especially if i have only one day to soak it all in

Its been about 10 years since I've driven into New Orleans so I'm a bit dated. I always found parking is typical for a city - cramped & crowded, but usually manageable unless a big event was going on. Go earlier rather than later. We would usually pick one of the parking spots along the river. Take Poydras down to Peters & then head into the quarter on Peters. Peters runs along the edge of the quarter and although 2 lane, its reasonably wide. There will be a number of parking places before you get to Jackson Square.

For a meal ... depends on what you like. Mr B's Bistro is pretty good. Not as pricey as Emerils. Acme Oyster bar is excellent for a simple meal, but there is usually a line. I like a beer & muffaletta at Maspero's but its essentially a beer hall.

From a distant memory- Natchez paddle wheel cruise, Pat O'Brien for a Hurricane (Keep the glass)
Old Absinthe house (keep the cups)

NOLA has an interesting national jazz park on Peters ... I recall a park ranger with guitar channeling Robert Johnson. Worth a stop.

I love Commander’s Palace and have never had a bad meal there. You can take the streetcar out and see the Garden District. I second Acme Oyster House if you prefer a more casual meal. There’s a good reason for the line, and it moves fast! Cafe du Monde is a must, as well as a stroll through Jackson Square. I think a carriage ride around the quarter is quite entertaining if you get a fun guide. Enjoy!

What we've done when visiting the Aquarium and know parking will be difficult is to park across the river and ride the Algiers ferry. It drops you within walking distance of most everything from the Aquarium, Canal St. and the quarters.

Dress code at Commanders Palace, no shorts, get a muffuletta to go to eat on the plane and make everyone salvate. Crawdads (mudbugs) if in season.

What we've done when visiting the Aquarium and know parking will be difficult is to park across the river and ride the Algiers ferry. It drops you within walking distance of most everything from the Aquarium, Canal St. and the quarters.
Agree. You can park your car by the levee or on any side street. I grew up in New Orleans and can assure you that the Algiers Ferry will put you on Canal Street. Easy walking from there to the Quarter.

I guess Cafe du Monde and Pat Obriens are good bets for a quick look at NO. Beignets and Hurricanes are in order.

As to food, I would eat a Poboy and a muffelata. Of course there's always gumbo and jambalaya. I used to get a muffelata at Central Grocery on Royal Street. If it's Monday, there's red beans and rice most places in town. Take a bag of Camellia Beans home.

Anyway, it's been years since I've been there. I defer to WR2 and/or Unclemick if my info is dated (wrong).

The St.Charles streetcar has been operating since 1835, and you should enjoy the roundtrip. You could get off at Lee circle and visit the WWII museum, but probably takes too long.

Lots of great ideas. I'm a history nut and the WWII museum sounds great but probably wouldn't be for the DW. Anyway, we plan to come back for an extended trip in the future, this one is just for the day. I've heard great things about K-Pauls restaurant any thoughts on that one?

Café du Monde might be a good choice (but, then again, I've never been to New Orleans).

But, you might want to try Café du W2R. And, as suggested, the earlier in the morning the better, especially if you want to get a good table.
Nope, Café du W2R is permanently closed, and not even F can get a table there in the morning. I sleep until almost noon every day.

Personally I am not that enamored by Café du Monde, and much prefer Morning Call. But, I haven't been there in years and long ago it was moved out of the French Quarter so it probably isn't what you want. Better stick with Café du Monde.

I have never met, and never will meet, people from the forum (even mods). With this being a tourist destination, I do not want to be overwhelmed with requests so my approach is to just not meet anyone from the internet and instead, continue with my placid, serene retired life here. I do care about my forum friends a lot but have to have firm boundaries and I feel I give you enough of my life through my posts. This probably seems cold, rejecting, and heartless, and I should probably care but to be honest I just don't. :)

Also, I live here so I don't really know what hotels are best; last stayed in one back in 1955, the Hotel Monteleone down in the Quarter, but I don't remember a thing about it since I was only 7 and sick. I spent most of my time there throwing up. Similarly, I don't really know what tourists might want to do or eat here and where, and so on. If you Google it you will find many online resources to help with such questions.

Last edited:
... Better stick with Café du Monde.
The nice thing is that nobody there looks down on you for being a tourist because it is all tourists! :) I look at it as part of the experience, not for peaceful and relaxing ambience. But the beignets are quite good.

Now I find out that she wants to go early, so we will be able to spend 2 days in NOLA. So will do the WWII museum and perhaps the Mardi Gras museum. Whoo Hoo! Any hotels or more restaurant advice is welcome.

Now I find out that she wants to go early, so we will be able to spend 2 days in NOLA. So will do the WWII museum and perhaps the Mardi Gras museum. Whoo Hoo! Any hotels or more restaurant advice is welcome.
Absolutely, positively, go to Preservation Hall. Whenever I've been there, a line forms well prior to the doors opening but IIRC Pat Obrien's is next door so fuel is available.

Even if you are not crazy about NOLA jazz (really, you're not? I thought everyone was!) Preservation Hall is an experience not to be missed.

Abita beer is local and very good.

Lots of great ideas. I'm a history nut and the WWII museum sounds great but probably wouldn't be for the DW. Anyway, we plan to come back for an extended trip in the future, this one is just for the day. I've heard great things about K-Pauls restaurant any thoughts on that one?

I love K-Paul’s! Stop there whenever I’m near NO.

Monteleone is a very nice hotel, walking distance to all the major tourist attractions, but it is a large hotel. There are many charming small boutique hotels and B&B’s in New Orleans that I prefer to a large hotel. Just avoid staying right on Bourbon St. - way too noisy! Dauphine is a good street - just above Bourbon but quiet.

Another restaurant recommendation is Upperline. It’s uptown, away from tourist areas, and is excellent. Good for a nice romantic dinner. If you want to PM me, I can send you a detailed email with a bunch of ideas. I just put that together for a couple of friends.

Monteleone is a very nice hotel, walking distance to all the major tourist attractions, but it is a large hotel. There are many charming small boutique hotels and B&B’s in New Orleans that I prefer to a large hotel. Just avoid staying right on Bourbon St. - way too noisy! Dauphine is a good street - just above Bourbon but quiet.
I have stayed at the Dauphine Orleans a number of times, but have not been there for years. It is one block from Bourbon street on Dauphine street.

Far from a New Orleans expert, but have visited three times. Once was Hotel St Marie on Toulouse Street; that was a very pleasant stay.

(Other times we rented a VRBO property on Point Algiers and a Hilton - for their cruise package.)

I hope you let us know what you chose to do and how you enjoyed it. DH and I are headed back to New Orleans in January 2019.

Just stayed at the Maison Dupuy, which is on Toulouse a few blocks from the French Quarter. It was nice, and the Bistreaux cafe in the hotel was great.

It’s not in the French Quarter but I’ll recommend Dooky Chase’s. I believe her niece runs it now but sure felt like authentic New Orleans.

Back
Top Bottom