Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Our camp is just a few miles from rte66 in Illinois.
In 2012, we finished the last segment (for us) of Route 66 -- from Santa Monica to Albuquerque. We have now been on all of it from that Café (restaurant?) in downtown Chicago to the Park in Santa Monica, California. It took four years, and in bits and pieces, but it was worth it. (The bits will show up in the following years video.)

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post

Free is good and I am fully in support of that category of software. It will "get you by" and that's as good as it needs to be in most cases.

But for us OCD types... never mind.
Heh, understood.

I started doing video/slideshow production for the dreaded "training videos" at w*rk back in the 90s. Had a copy of Adobe Premiere, and some other software more training specific, but never really got too fancy with it. Did use Premiere to make a 50th anniversary photo collage for my parents. Had to transfer it to VHS for the party.

Did some of the production work at home. No way to transfer to my w*rk computer except using a blazingly fast 14.4k modem...

Anyway, never meant to hijack the thread, just pointing out to others that they likely already have the SW to do something similar.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I really enjoyed this also. Can you make the next about half as fast. I tried starting and stopping, but it was too hard. I recognized several places and wondered about several others, but they were gone. It looks like you are having lots of fun. Sorry about the personal tragedies.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I am still trying to remember where the Proshow User uploads are but, in the meantime, here is an example -- albeit from a pro photographer.

Eric + Dy: Same Day Edit : The Slideshow Blog by Photodex
Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

The last time I used iMovie, it had a Ken Burns effect. Included with all macs.

In Linux, you can use the pan & zoom in KDENLive (free open source).

-ERD50
Old 03-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #26

I'm just delighted to learn there is a name for this, the Ken Burns effect! Neat reading.

The Wikipedia link also said this:
On the Windows platform, AVS Video Editor, Windows Movie Maker, Pinnacle Studio, Sony Vegas Studio (and Movie), Ulead VideoStudio, Adobe Premiere, PicturesToExe also have pan and zoom features built in or available through third party extensions which may be used to achieve the effect. Microsoft Photo Story is a free application that creates videos with both random and customiseable Ken Burns Effects automatically from selected images. Another free multiplatform Ken Burns effect application is PhotoFilmStrip.

Now I'm even more intrigued.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I think the "Ken Burns effect" is especially important for Ken Burns.

When the duration on "screen" is short, the pan/zoom is less useful. For when the voice-over/soundtrack goes on for an extended period with the same "still photo" on screen, the pan/zoom adds visual interest/dimension.

One problem with all these geehaws is the tendency to over-use them. Sometimes less is more...

Having said that, I may have to look for the pan/zoom add-on.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
When the duration on "screen" is short, the pan/zoom is less useful. For when the voice-over/soundtrack goes on for an extended period with the same "still photo" on screen, the pan/zoom adds visual interest/dimension.
Did you watch the video in the Link I provided in Message #23?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #29

Ron, I just watched it. Pretty cool effects for sure, but it got a bit tiresome by about half-way, but maybe that's because engagement pictures are boring to me.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did you watch the video in the Link I provided in Message #23?
Yes. Nicely done, though I stand by my opinion that sometimes less is more. But then, I hated "Blair Witch Project"; that herky-jerky camera thing gets on my nerves after a while...

Old 03-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, it is like being forced to watch someone's vacation 8mm movies, huh? On the other hand, I did warn that it was a commercial project. If it was your (or a close relative's) wedding, you would most likely watch it a hundred times before getting bored... and then years later...

Anyway, I meant only for it to be a showcase of the abilities of the program. And not that they are all that unique to Proshow which, by the nature of the game, doesn't have features another program might have. I guess, what I meant for it to be was inspiration.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #32

Quote:
I guess, what I meant for it to be was inspiration.
Yes, definitely on the inspiration! But I'm easily annoyed by those kinds of pictures, because I live in wedding-land and I'm a crotchety old lady.

It does give me some good ideas for my slideshow, but I think the real key for me is to keep it to 3 minutes or so. The last video I edited (only my second ever) ran to 7.5 minutes long and boy does it seem to take forever, to me!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Yes, definitely on the inspiration! But I'm easily annoyed by those kinds of pictures, because I live in wedding-land and I'm a crotchety old lady.

It does give me some good ideas for my slideshow, but I think the real key for me is to keep it to 3 minutes or so. The last video I edited (only my second ever) ran to 7.5 minutes long and boy does it seem to take forever, to me!
Well, if it's any consolation, I was forced to use Kenny Rogers' "Through The Years" for my folks' anniversary video. Thankfully, it was too short to last the entire video, so I ended with The Beatles' "When I'm Sixty-Four"...

Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, it is like being forced to watch someone's vacation 8mm movies, huh? On the other hand, I did warn that it was a commercial project. If it was your (or a close relative's) wedding, you would most likely watch it a hundred times before getting bored... and then years later...

Anyway, I meant only for it to be a showcase of the abilities of the program. And not that they are all that unique to Proshow which, by the nature of the game, doesn't have features another program might have. I guess, what I meant for it to be was inspiration.
I'd really be p*ssed if it was my wedding...

HFWR, two time winner loser

Old 03-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... ran to 7.5 minutes long and boy does it seem to take forever, to me!
See my earlier "9 minutes is a lifetime" comment. However, having said that, I notice no one (not only here but others) complained of my video being too long only that it was too fast (busy?). At this time, I am spending tremendous amounts of brain time thinking on all of the comments so hopefully there is a solution... and that I will find it.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #36

Well, to be completely honest, I only lasted to the 5 minute mark myself, but I figured that in that amount of time, I got the gist of what you were doing.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I liked the fast-speed flip card approach. It was unique, and you can always pause if something in particular strikes you, or raises a Q.

-ERD50
Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, to be completely honest, I only lasted to the 5 minute mark myself,...
<grin>
Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I liked the fast-speed flip card approach. It was unique, and you can always pause if something in particular strikes you, or raises a Q.
Me, too. However, I can now see the need for tweaking -- some pauses, some Title Slides to identify locations, etc.