Join Early Retirement Today

Paris / Rome Trip
Old 03-13-2015, 09:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Paris / Rome Trip

Plan to travel to Paris ( 4 days ) and Rome ( 4 days ) via Trafalgar ( AAA) in a few weeks. What are some "must sees" and what things should we avoid ? Any other travel suggestions pertinent to Paris / Rome.
ferco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #2

I've only been to Paris once (visiting it again this summer). My fav's were the full bell tower tour of Notre Dam - seeing the gothic gargoyles up close was cool. (Not sure if they still offer that tour. Also Sacre Cour. If you have the energy to climb up inside the dome to the cupola up top - it's an amazing view - higher than the Eiffel Tower.

It goes without saying that the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay are must sees.

For Rome - the obvious: Coliseum, Forum, Panthean and Vatican. Not sure if it's still true - but you need to buy tickets to tour the Vatican museum to get to the Sistine Chapel. Even if you don't want to see statuary with prudish fig leaves applied after the fact - it's worth it to see the chapel. I enjoyed climbing up to the top of St. Peters dome.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:43 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Im looking forward to the Musee des Moyen Ages (Museum of the Middle Ages) in the Latin Quarter of Paris.

And we plan to visit the Musee de l'Orangerie (at the edge of the Tuileries Gardens) which houses Monet's famous water lilies painting. This because we are going on a day trip to Giverny to see Monet's gardens in person later in our trip.

Shockingly, I plan to skip the Louvre on this my first visit to Paris.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Montmartre district of Paris is very interesting.

Take some time to walk around and visit some of the parks. Don't spend all your time in the museums. It's easy visit a big city like Paris, and never see the city because one is always in the famous museums.

Edited to add: Also, find a good walking tour that covers a topic you like. For example: WW2 Paris, or Paris and Art, or Underground Paris or ? Hopefully, they don't have any Haunted Paris walks. :-)

Look for the small plaques on walls memorializing the policemen who died fighting the Nazi's in the uprising that took place when people found out that Allied troops were days away from liberating Paris.

In Rome look for small restaurants emphasizing regional foods. Italian food varies by region, and Italian food is not the same as Italian American food.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm kind of burned out on the really large art Museums. After Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and the Kunsthistoriches museum in Vienna, I'm taking a break this year. Heck, I'm still tired from our Uffizzi visit in 1994!

Personally, I prefer the historic buildings, especially the palaces, and I love the parks and scenic walks or hikes. I do love the treasury museums though - those can be amazing.

You could spend a week in Vienna and do nothing but museums. The way I tend to do museums it takes me all day for a large art museum. If we return to Vienna I might set aside a two days to visit one large museum each day, but no mas!
Old 03-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I was going to be in Paris for 4 days (which I have been), I would take one of those days and go to Normandy. Its something you will never forget.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #7

I'll be in Rome next week! A couple of hotels that I like, both in the center of everything: Hotel Prati, Hotel Due Torri. I think you can't go wrong with a couple of walking itineraries ala Rick Steves to see the major sites (Trevi, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Colosseum, Campo di Fiori, the Vatican and St. Peter's, the Roman Forum/Palatine, Castel d'Angelo, Quirnale, the Latern, Paul Outside the Walls, Maria Maggiori, the Caravaggio churches, Piazza del Popolo, Borghese Gardens, Spanish Steps, Corso). Most of these are in easy walking distance of each other. Frankly, if I had only 4 days I'd skip museums, especially if the weather is nice. It is far more interesting to me to stroll through the city taking in the sights, sounds, people watching, eating, etc.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #8

Since you are doing a Trafalgar tour you probably have most of your time already booked. You will probably have optional tours available. You really just have to plan around your "free time" which will be limited. I second the Rick Steves suggestion but you will probably only have a few half days avalable. Both Rome and Paris are cities that are there to "see." You can easily spend your free time at a street cafe or strolling through various gardens.

Versailles is very impressive. It's a great day trip although your tour company will probably only have a half day visit available. The Louvre is where you can see all those paintings and statues you saw in your high school books. The Mona Lisa is very disappointing. It would take a lifetime to see all of the Louvre if you include all of the other wings. I liked the Orsay better but I like Impressionists.

Rome is full of dead peoples' places. You'll go with the tour flow. Hopefully, you will be staying in a downtown hotel so you can just walk the tightly packed historical area on your own to enjoy the ambiance. If you plan ahead, it would be worth getting tickets to the Borghese Gallery if you are museum oriented. It has a fine collection of Renaissance artwork. Check out their website to see if you are interested. Tickets have to be bought way in advance.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #9
Administrator

The standard sights in each place are what they are; your guidebooks can describe them in glorious detail. The list below are a few things "out of the ordinary" that the young wife and I have enjoyed.

Paris

1) Have lunch or dinner on the Île Saint Louis, which is right next to the Île de la Cité in the middle of the Seine. After dinner, walk the circumference of the island. Sit on the quai, eat ice cream and watch the world go by. Île Saint-Louis

2) Go to the Marché aux Puces de St. Ouen, which is the original and largest flea market in the world. All sorts of interesting things and people to be seen. You can get there easily on the Metro. Marché aux Puces de St-Ouen

3) Visit the Paris Catacombs. It is both humbling and fascinating. Six million souls, all alike in death. The Resistance hid out there during WWII. The entrance is at Place d'Enfert-Rocherau. Catacombs of Paris

4) Visit the Musée de Cluny, which was a Roman bath, then medieval abbey and now a museum. They have interesting exhibits, including 600 year old tapestries. Musée national du Moyen Âge

Rome

1) Tour the catacombs, and then San Clemente, which is three churches built one atop the other, and all atop a Mithraic temple. This is the tour we took. Rome Catacombs Tour & Basilica di San Clemente | Dark Rome Tours

2) Visit the Largo di Torre Argentina, which has the remains of four Republican era temples and is where Julius Caesar was assassinated. It also has hundreds of stray cats, who sometimes will let you pet them if you need a feline fix. Largo di Torre Argentina.

3) Visit the Forum Boarium, the former cattle market of Rome, where there are two very well preserved Republican era temples and the church of Santa Maria in Cosmodin, on whose front porch sits the Bocca della Verità made famous in the Audrey Hepburn film "Roman Holiday". Forum Boarium
Bocca della Verità

4) Walk to the top of the Janiculum hill. The panoramic view of Rome from the Finnish embassy is fantastic. On the way, stop at Bramante's Tempietto located within the courtyard of the church of San Pietro in Montorio. Also stop at the strikingly beautiful, white Giancolense Ossario Mausoleo, which is a monument to the Garibaldini who defended Rome against the French in the siege of 1849.
Janiculum
San Pietro in Montorio
Gianicolense Mausoleum Monument (Mausoleo Ossario Gianicolense)
Old 03-14-2015, 10:20 AM   #10

Gumby - I'm taking notes based on your post. For my Paris visit this summer. We'll have a week in Paris (among your 9 weeks in Europe overall) - so hopefully I'll be able to check out some of your items.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Paris-

Get a museum pass (they come in different lengths). They allow you to skip the very very very long lines and get into tons of sites and museums across Paris. Also with a pass you might try a museum for 30 minutes which you would otherwise skip if you had to,pay for full admission at each one. We had a blast at the Pompidou one evening when I think we would have skipped it otherwise.

Study up on which museums are closed on certain days and which are open at night on certain days. Night hours Re a less crowded time to visit and give you more schedule flexibility.

Versailles only runs their beautiful fountains on Sundays, I think. The grounds of Versailles (which are huge) are the real attraction more than the palace.

A DO NOT MISS site not yet mentioned (I think) is the stained glass cathedral of Sainte Chappelle -breathtaking and unforgettable.

Rome-

Walk. Walk. Walk. A fantastic city for discovering things on foot.

But beware. That short distance on a flat map may be quite a bit longer up and down and around the hills that make up the Roman city landscape.

The Pyramid of Rome located at the southern part of town and the cemetery for non- Catholics in which jt is located is a wonderful and peaceful place. (Keats is buried there)

The Pantheon is a DO NOT MISS attraction.

Beware of thieves and pickpockets in both places. Europe in general has nothing like our inner city threat of violent crime problems, but instead are plagued by sneaky small handed thieves (cute children who distract you as they rob you), and those who will not hesitate to take anything you put down unattended for even a second.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

There are so much to see, and you do not have that much time, particularly when you are on a tour already. So look at tour guides and pick what suits your fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferco View Post
... what things should we avoid ?
Be VERY careful about pickpocketers. That's true throughout all large European cities. We never had a tour and had to manage our own belongings, and so far have not lost anything, though we had attempts made on us in Nice and in Brussels. I keep an eye on our belongings all the time, and stay constantly alert of any attempt to divert my attention. For example, when resting on a bench at a rail station, I would rest my leg on my bags lest a thief sneak away with them while I looked around. A friend of mine got his bag stolen when he put it on the ground by his feet while he was standing at the hotel counter to check in.

Again, the European pickpocketers are truly legendary and have honed their craft to a fine art.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #13

Only one trip to Paris. Loved it. We must have walked 10 miles/day. Did the Louvre, Versailles, and the usual tourist sights. Saw a show at Moulin Rouge. Took a a side trip to Normandy. We liked the cafe life. Sit outside with a carafe of wine (or cup of coffee) and watch the pedestrians. I shall return.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #14

The OP is going to be with a tour so most of the suggestions won't be actionable. The nice thing about a tour is they will see the basics and learn how to get around. It will set the stage for going back when they can really enjoy their visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
Get a museum pass (they come in different lengths). They allow you to skip the very very very long lines and get into tons of sites and museums across Paris.
Paris can be one of the most cost effective Museum Passes in Europe. Plan out what you want to see. Be careful not to get the one that includes metro passes. The carnet available are more cost effective and easier to use. The reopened Picasso Museum has dropped participation in this pass so don't be afraid to see other museums not covered.

Quote:
Versailles only runs their beautiful fountains on Sundays, I think. The grounds of Versailles (which are huge) are the real attraction more than the palace.

A DO NOT MISS site not yet mentioned (I think) is the stained glass cathedral of Sainte Chappelle -breathtaking and unforgettable.
The Paris Museum Pass is more easily justified on the high ticket price to Versailles if several other museums will also be seen. The longer passes are easier to justify. It is always important to do the math on any pass like this. Fountain operation is very seasonal. In high tourist season, I believe it runs a couple of times per week but not necessarily every fountain runs. Less touristy times get less fountain operation. Even when things run, they don't run long.

Sainte Chappelle is also covered by the pass. It's inside a high security zone around their version of SCOTUS. It's like going through airport security so leave your pocket knife at the hotel.

Quote:
Beware of thieves and pickpockets in both places. Europe in general has nothing like our inner city threat of violent crime problems, but instead are plagued by sneaky small handed thieves (cute children who distract you as they rob you), and those who will not hesitate to take anything you put down unattended for even a second.
I carry a decoy wallet in my back pocket that has some wipes, some tissue and some used gift cards to look like credit cards. I'll sometimes carry up to 10 euro to give me an excuse to pull it out to buy small items. I've had several attempts made on it but it is still intact. I figure if they see what they expect to see they will assume it has my money and credit cards in it.

I used to work for a European based company. I was astounded at how many of my peers from the US would be robbed at the airport. Some of the stories were funny beyond belief. Usually, they weren't aware how or when their pockets were picked. We were all given very specific instructions on how to avoid pickpockets. I had an upper executive with the company ask me after I had made several trips without issue why my coworkers from the US didn't follow instructions. He was clearly upset because of all the work that was involved in getting their passports replaced and getting new credit cards for them. I said it would be inappropriate for me to call them idiots.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #15
Administrator

Sainte Chapelle is indeed breathtaking. I almost put that in my list.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Again, the European pickpocketers are truly legendary and have honed their craft to a fine art.
My stratagem of having a beat up bag, and looking like the guy who might hit you up for a quarter, has worked...................thus far.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
The OP is going to be with a tour so most of the suggestions won't be actionable. The nice thing about a tour is they will see the basics and learn how to get around. It will set the stage for going back when they can really enjoy their visit.

Paris can be one of the most cost effective Museum Passes in Europe. Plan out what you want to see. Be careful not to get the one that includes metro passes. The carnet available are more cost effective and easier to use. The reopened Picasso Museum has dropped participation in this pass so don't be afraid to see other museums not covered.

The Paris Museum Pass is more easily justified on the high ticket price to Versailles if several other museums will also be seen. The longer passes are easier to justify. It is always important to do the math on any pass like this. Fountain operation is very seasonal. In high tourist season, I believe it runs a couple of times per week but not necessarily every fountain runs. Less touristy times get less fountain operation. Even when things run, they don't run long.

Sainte Chappelle is also covered by the pass. It's inside a high security zone around their version of SCOTUS. It's like going through airport security so leave your pocket knife at the hotel.

I carry a decoy wallet in my back pocket that has some wipes, some tissue and some used gift cards to look like credit cards. I'll sometimes carry up to 10 euro to give me an excuse to pull it out to buy small items. I've had several attempts made on it but it is still intact. I figure if they see what they expect to see they will assume it has my money and credit cards in it.

I used to work for a European based company. I was astounded at how many of my peers from the US would be robbed at the airport. Some of the stories were funny beyond belief. Usually, they weren't aware how or when their pockets were picked. We were all given very specific instructions on how to avoid pickpockets. I had an upper executive with the company ask me after I had made several trips without issue why my coworkers from the US didn't follow instructions. He was clearly upset because of all the work that was involved in getting their passports replaced and getting new credit cards for them. I said it would be inappropriate for me to call them idiots.
So I guess you had better make sure passports are well put away right after passport control and before exiting baggage claim.

Any more tips for us retired travelers? The specific instructions would be nice.

Is does help when you are traveling in pairs.

I like the decoy wallet idea.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So I guess you had better make sure passports are well put away right after passport control and before exiting baggage claim.

Any more tips for us retired travelers? The specific instructions would be nice.

Is does help when you are traveling in pairs.

I like the decoy wallet idea.
I am humbled by what sounds like you asking me for advice on traveling.

When getting on the plane, I always were a shirt with either one or two pockets. These are usually with a button or zipper. I stick both of our passports in here after passport control because they want them at the hotel. B&Bs don't care.

By the time we get on the plane, both of us have put our back up US cash (~$100 each), debit cards, credit cards, trip itinerary, passport copies and emergency contact information in our undergarment wallet. I'll carry the small amount of euro bills in my shirt pocket and euro change in my backpack (left over from past trip). If I plan on getting cash when landing, I'll also carry my debit card in the shirt pocket.

When traveling, I don't put any bills in my pants pockets. I've gotten my DW to wear pants with pockets so I no longer have to carry her lipstick. I've gotten her to not bring a purse. When she gets some local currency cash, she'll usually also carry it in a shirt pocket but not always. She never has that much on her. It's just spending cash for minor things. I'll make sure she has cash in her undergarment wallet for a taxi if she gets lost or separated. I'll pay for bigger items like meals. Fortunately, we no longer have to buy things for everyone when we go on a trip.

Passports definitely need to be protected. They are a mess to replace on a trip. At best you'll spend half of a vacation day sitting at the US Embassy. If there isn't an embassy where you are going to be, plan on a detour to one before you try to leave.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We walked 11 hours one day in Rome.....couple places thus far not mentioned are the Castel Sant' Angelo (Mausoleum of Hadrian) opened 139 AD, and the Altare della Patria......(also, of course, if only/mainly for their "Oh yeah, we were there" value, are the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps).

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I am humbled by what sounds like you asking me for advice on traveling.

When getting on the plane, I always were a shirt with either one or two pockets. These are usually with a button or zipper. I stick both of our passports in here after passport control because they want them at the hotel. B&Bs don't care.

By the time we get on the plane, both of us have put our back up US cash (~$100 each), debit cards, credit cards, trip itinerary, passport copies and emergency contact information in our undergarment wallet. I'll carry the small amount of euro bills in my shirt pocket and euro change in my backpack (left over from past trip). If I plan on getting cash when landing, I'll also carry my debit card in the shirt pocket.

When traveling, I don't put any bills in my pants pockets. I've gotten my DW to wear pants with pockets so I no longer have to carry her lipstick. I've gotten her to not bring a purse. When she gets some local currency cash, she'll usually also carry it in a shirt pocket but not always. She never has that much on her. It's just spending cash for minor things. I'll make sure she has cash in her undergarment wallet for a taxi if she gets lost or separated. I'll pay for bigger items like meals. Fortunately, we no longer have to buy things for everyone when we go on a trip.

Passports definitely need to be protected. They are a mess to replace on a trip. At best you'll spend half of a vacation day sitting at the US Embassy. If there isn't an embassy where you are going to be, plan on a detour to one before you try to leave.
I do/will carry a purse, I travel with my iPad mini and like to have it with me most of the time. I don't carry any money or cards or IDs in it. In the past I've carried a bulkier shoulder purse tucked under my arm that can also hold a jacket, scarf, umbrella, etc. it has one zipper on top that tucks under the arm and no outside pockets. I don't put it down.

We carry our IDs and most of our cards and cash in undergarment wallets. Anything in our outside pockets - just stuff needed for the day - is attached with lanyards.