Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Seems like a good way to erase the magnetic strips on your credit cards.

All of my cards (4) have chips. However, I still need the strip since most places still have last century equipment.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
If you order one of the Scottevest ones like mine, be sure to get it in a larger size to accommodate the bulk of whatever you are carrying. I typically carry nearly everything that would fit in a purse with me in the vest, and it can get a bit heavy.
Yes, I saw that, thanks. Unfortunately the lightweight one I want is not available in large at the moment. I'll have to keep checking.

I probably won't carry that much, as I have a camera bag for my DSLR camera. Mostly iPhone, some money and cards. I'll still keep additional under my clothes.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Audrey, you might also check TravelSmith, they carry some Scottevest products and also produce their own travel vest which might suit. The thing I like about the Scotte one is the magnetic closures on the pockets.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERSonalTime View Post
Thanks again to everyone. As an aside, does everyone carry their drivers license with them when they travel out of country?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I don't need to. Bart to SFO and I refuse to drive out of country
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Audrey, you might also check TravelSmith, they carry some Scottevest products and also produce their own travel vest which might suit. The thing I like about the Scotte one is the magnetic closures on the pockets.
Well I'm not having any luck. Neither Scottevest, Travelsmith, nor Amazon have the featherweight vest in my size (large). Like - how did they run out of one size in five everywhere?

I normally wear medium, but clearly upsizing by one is required with the Scottevest vests.

I tried an ExOfficio product that was listed as lightweight, but it was far too heavy. It's going to be warmish where I'm going.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #46

Quote:
Well I'm not having any luck. Neither Scottevest, Travelsmith, nor Amazon have the featherlight vest in my size (large). Like - how did they run out of one size in five everywhere?

I normally wear medium, but clearly upsizing by one is required with the Scottevest vests.

I tried an ExOfficio product that was listed as lightweight, but it was far too heavy. It's going to be warmish where I'm going.
I got the Scottevest in Large size (with RFID pocket) and it seems very lightweight to me. Got mine from Travelsmith, but Amazon carries them at the same price.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I got the Scottevest in Large size (with RFID pocket) and it seems very lightweight to me. Got mine from Travelsmith, but Amazon carries them at the same price.
I would be very interested in the women's large if it were available!

Maybe I should email Scottevest and ask them what is the deal with the missing size!! (I just did)

I watched the video on the men's and sent it to DH.

Oh, you must mean the regular one seems very lightweight?
Old 07-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #48

Quote:
Oh, you must mean the regular one seems very lightweight?

Yes.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Audrey I actually bought the men's one. You might think about doing the same. I'm not much for anything very close fitting, especially when loaded down, and I never really zipped mine up when using it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Audrey I actually bought the men's one. You might think about doing the same. I'm not much for anything very close fitting, especially when loaded down, and I never really zipped mine up when using it.
Well I'll see what their sales department says. I'm short, so I'm not so confident getting a men's size.

I won't be loading it down. I really just want something with inside pockets for my passport and iphone5.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #51

Quote:
My instinct has not been to trust hotel safes. I know someone at the hotel is able to open them. And it's a good guess as to where you are hiding your valuables.
+1
I generally put my Passport in my luggage and lock it. I carry a copy of the passport page in my daypack, with a separate copy in my luggage.

Cash/credit card/debit card carried in a small coin purse that holds the cash and cards readily. That tucks nicely into a small purse that I can carry cross body that holds my cellphone.

Unless I know I will need my passport, it stays secured in my luggage. I just got back from a trip to the UK. One of the people on the tour had her purse stolen and in it she had all her cash, all her credit cards, AND her passport. The tour company provided cautions in advance: take only what you need for the day, leave the rest in the hotel safe, or the hotel vault if that makes you feel safer. Carry any valuables under your clothing, or cross-body.

How did it get stolen? She was in the hotel lobby playing bridge with friends. She turned around to the people behind her and asked them to lower their voices. When she turned back - her purse was gone. So it was a setup. And they managed to find the one person who did everything you shouldn't do when traveling.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
+1

How did it get stolen? She was in the hotel lobby playing bridge with friends. She turned around to the people behind her and asked them to lower their voices. When she turned back - her purse was gone. So it was a setup. And they managed to find the one person who did everything you shouldn't do when traveling.
I was in Cuenca, Ecuador in a 2 story hotel and we were playing cards in the main shared guest area. A group of three was checking in, and the lady was sitting on a couch across from the check-in desk and near the door. A guy walked by and dropped something and she leaned down to pick it up for him. At that moment, another guy grabbed the purse that was next to her. The guy that dropped the item to distract her pretended to be just as surprised as her and instantly declared I will try to catch him! And away he ran. Or course, they were in on it together. She had everything in her purse, including her passport.

In the course of all my travel experiences, I still consider Ecuador the most dangerous place for tourists that I have visited.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #53

This is a timely thread as I just got back from Mexico in May, stored everything in the room safe, including cell, wallet, and passport whenever I left the room. Just this week I was quite surprised to read how less than secure hotel room safes actually are. My takeaway from what I read was that most hotel workers won't be savvy enough to compromise room safes, but hotel personnel in security, maintenance, and perhaps management might be.

Heres a review of variou solutions:

Tips For Carrying Money and Documents While Traveling - Detective Kevin Coffey

Regarding personal safety, after four decades in urban cities I know how to be quite menacing when the situation calls for it. Once in a train station in Paris a group of gypsies came and sat near me, and I immediately sensed trouble. I had read to be wary of these groups because they have many tactics to distract and rob. I gave them a look like many people would get a bruising if they got any closer (myself not included) and they moved away.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I don't take my purse off when out of my room in Europe. Never set it down anywhere.

We are so used to sitting our purses down anywhere in the US. I notice ladies leaving their purse in their shopping cart open, and even walking away!

I'm a little nervous about Nice and Barcelona. We made it through Paris and Vienna OK.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:11 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

When I started traveling, 50++ years ago, the rule of thumb was "Never let your passport get out of your sight"....I guess that stuck.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote