Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Pay attention to your airline bookings
Old 03-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #1

Pay attention to your airline bookings

I got an email the other day saying one of my flights to europe (ORD-FCO) was going to leave 10 minutes earlier than previously scheduled.

No biggy - I checked my bookings in my tripit app and I still had more than an hour in ORD between my flights....

Except - when I went online, I noticed they'd given me a different flight from SAN-ORD... one that arrived only 13 minutes before my flight to Italy. I wasn *not* notified of this change in flight# and schedule.

The airline I booked through is not the same airline who's flights changed (code-sharing flights) so they're trying to sort it out.

I would have been so hosed if I hadn't been paying attention. As it stands now I have to leave San Diego a bit earlier than planned (the original flight changed time as well) but that's better than missing the flight to Italy.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ms G was checking seat assignments 2 weeks ago, and found out our new flight was coming in 50 minutes after our connection had already left. No email, sorry, FU nada.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I would have been so hosed if I hadn't been paying attention. As it stands now I have to leave San Diego a bit earlier than planned (the original flight changed time as well) but that's better than missing the flight to Italy.
A good reminder that it pays to pay attention.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nasty that they didn't e-mail you. At least if you get a notification you can sometimes call right away and get another flight with no change fee if they've messed up your schedule. AA once changed our flights home from Europe to one with an unacceptably short layover in ORD; I called and requested another routing, through DFW, and they gave it to me.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
A good reminder that it pays to pay attention.
AYUP.

I once booked a flight to San Jose Costa Rico rather than that other one in California. Failed autocomplete.

Luckily I did notice it and was able to fix things before it got too out of hand.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:06 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yes, check and recheck. On my honeymoon 31 years ago the airlines kept our travel agent informed but she failed to keep us informed. The connecting flight from DC to NY changed and we missed our flight. We caught another flight but had about 20 minutes to catch our Swiss Air to Geneva in another terminal. DW ran ahead and I sort of ran following with all of our baggage. Swiss Air held the flight and I struggled aboard in a bath of sweat at the last minute. Wouldn't happen today.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:19 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Yes, check and recheck. On my honeymoon 31 years ago the airlines kept our travel agent informed but she failed to keep us informed.
Yes, travel agents. I recall (back in the paper ticket day, in Caracas) checking in one morning, the agent looked at me strangely, excused herself, and phoned someone. A moment later two big guys appeared and attempted to take me in custody. It seems our in house travel agent had written my ticket over another that was already recorded by the airline. When they entered the ticket number it appeared as fraud. We were able to work out that I wasn't stealing anything - it did take a while - and the agency acknowledge their error, but that was one trip that didn't happen.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:24 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

These sort of things make me very reluctant to fly anywhere that I cannot get a direct flight.

Fortunately I live 1-4 hours from 7 major airports, so that doesn't restrict me too much.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yes, travel agents. I recall (back in the paper ticket day, in Caracas) checking in one morning, the agent looked at me strangely, excused herself, and phoned someone. A moment later two big guys appeared and attempted to take me in custody. It seems our in house travel agent had written my ticket over another that was already recorded by the airline. When they entered the ticket number it appeared as fraud. We were able to work out that I wasn't stealing anything - it did take a while - and the agency acknowledge their error, but that was one trip that didn't happen.
Whoa!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the heads up, Rodi!

Are you leaving soon?
Old 03-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
These sort of things make me very reluctant to fly anywhere that I cannot get a direct flight.
As a mild counter point...

A while back, DW and I were flying to Amsterdam for a river cruise. We needed to connect through Chicago. Our flight was delayed. First by 15 minutes, then 30, then more.

We had a reasonable amount of connecting time, but the margin keep getting smaller and smaller as the flight was delayed further.

I finally got up to talk to the airline person at the gate and mentioned we had an international connection to make in Chicago and we were meeting a boat in Amsterdam.

Turns out there were four other folks in similar situations. We all were swiftly rebooked onto another airline's flight that was leaving in 20 minutes for Chicago.

We had just enough time to walk over to that flight's gate. It was already starting to board.

We made it to Chicago with enough time to make our connection to Amsterdam. Amazingly, our luggage made it too.

We were quite happy campers that day.

(We almost always fly SWA domestically, but since this was international we were on United. They did a great job that day, so I wanted to mention them.)
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
As a mild counter point...

A while back, DW and I were flying to Amsterdam for a river cruise. We needed to connect through Chicago. Our flight was delayed. First by 15 minutes, then 30, then more.

We had a reasonable amount of connecting time, but the margin keep getting smaller and smaller as the flight was delayed further.

I finally got up to talk to the airline person at the gate and mentioned we had an international connection to make in Chicago and we were meeting a boat in Amsterdam.

Turns out there were four other folks in similar situations. We all were swiftly rebooked onto another airline's flight that was leaving in 20 minutes for Chicago.

We had just enough time to walk over to that flight's gate. It was already starting to board.

We made it to Chicago with enough time to make our connection to Amsterdam. Amazingly, our luggage made it too.

We were quite happy campers that day.

(We almost always fly SWA domestically, but since this was international we were on United. They did a great job that day, so I wanted to mention them.)
We always arrive somewhere a day or two ahead. One of the nice things about being retired is being able to pad a trip with a day or two in advance.

We missed one day of a tour in Canada due to horrible weather at a connecting airport, and were able to use a shuttle and get over to join the group at their hotel. But we missed a day of birding! After that we leave early. There is always something to do at the destination before joining a tour.

I sure would hate to miss a boat!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We always arrive somewhere a day or two ahead. One of the nice things about being retired is being able to pad a trip with a day or two in advance.

Yeah, that's our plan for Iceland. Flight departs from Boston and we're getting there 2 days early.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Not a frequent flyer, so less experience than some who traveled for w*rk, but I don't share the "luv", pun intended, for SWA.

Probably told this story before, but in 2006 I had a flight on SWA to Detroit. This was right after a large ice storm had nearly crippled the midwest. So, being the paranoid sort, I got up early, checked DAL's website, STL's website, and SWA's website, and there was no mention of any delays or closures. So, I caught the flight, and off we went to STL, the connection to DTW. We flew to STL, circled a couple of times, then were informed the airport was closed. We ended up at MCI in Kansas City.

To their credit, SWA did scramble to get us on other flights ASAP, so I (barely) caught a flight to BWI (Baltimore), and, after a three-hour layover, finally caught a flight to Detroit.

So, no one was aware of the ice storm closure? Really?

But SWA did live up to their motto: You are now free to move about the country. 'Cept it wasn't free...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Went through something similar two years ago when we went to Europe. My new flight into Ireland arrived an hour after my flight to England left. I did receive an email....but there was no indication that my flights had changed, it just was a new "confirmation" email. Luckily, I do watch for those sorts of things.

I called the airline and pointed out the problem. Their response was "Hmmm....that won't work, will it."

Ya think?

I suspect a lot of these change are automagically generated via computer when the airlines tighten down their times with the airports or whatever. But apparently their computer systems could use a little more "testing".
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Once my flight in Chicago was cancelled and I was put on standby for another flight. I waited until the last minute and got my boarding pass. I went on the airplane and only found that my seat was occupied by an airliners employee who claimed that she did not need a boarding pass and had priority to take the seat. I felt very bad and had to take the next flight.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Once my flight in Chicago was cancelled and I was put on standby for another flight. I waited until the last minute and got my boarding pass. I went on the airplane and only found that my seat was occupied by an airliners employee who claimed that she did not need a boarding pass and had priority to take the seat. I felt very bad and that they had to take the next flight.
FIFY...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Thanks for the heads up, Rodi!

Are you leaving soon?
Not till mid-June. One of the annoying things about having school age kids is we can't travel shoulder or off season. We're tied to the academic calendar.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I look at my bookings all the time, mainly because the main airline we travel on offers a price guarantee that it's the lowest price. If they lower the price later, they'll give you a voucher for the difference. I've been able to get vouchers for several flights. I also look for any changes in times, but we also get email alerts when changes happen.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #20

To those of you with Chicago troubles, I learned a long time ago to "just say no" to anything that has anything to do with O'Hare. I'll leave a day early and pay more to avoid that black hole.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote