Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Paying web bookings in alternate currency
Old 06-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #1

Paying web bookings in alternate currency

Going to norwegian.com, the first thing it did was ask me for my originating country, which got me thinking...

So I opened several "private windows" and tried the same flight with Denmark, UK, and USA. The result was all different prices for the same flight (doing conversions using Google "XXX British Pound in US Dollars").

When I picked Denmark, I had to guess at how to proceed because the site was not presented in English. But the example flight was $315 once converted to USD, where the flight on the US site was $370. I only tried one more country...the UK. It was $311. So I'm thinking, I have a no foreign transaction fee card, what the heck, I'm looking at $59 savings.

When I got into booking, they charged a $6 fee for MasterCard, so I was down to $53 savings (there was no fee if using a MasterCard in the USD version of the site). So except for clicking UK at the beginning, everything else was normal (I put in my real US address, phone and everything, of course).

So for the two of us, $106 savings. Not a bad day's w*rk! If I would have been more patient, maybe I'd have tried some other countries, but I'll take the convenience of having the page readable and get a little better deal than the USA price.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We do this on a regular basis and over time we have saved a considerable amount of money on tours, cruises, air fares, etc. The largest savings to date was booking a South Africa safari directly with the company in South Africa.

We also use a credit card that does not tack on a 2.5 percent fee to the FX rate.

We typically expect to be changed a fee for using a credit card. Some places add a small percentage charge.

This past winter we booked air return from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls. We saved USD $100. each by phoning the Aerolineas call center in BA instead of booking it on the common web sites. In a prior year we enjoyed a 30 percent saving on an Australian/NZ cruise by calling the cruise line's Australian office and booking it by phone.

The savings can be substantial if you have the time and patience to poke around the web.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
The other thing is that the long distance costs have dropped so much that dialling direct can often get the agent to think you are local. We also have a travel agent that will do that for us for a nominal fee.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

When we visited China we had booked the hotel in US dollars, but at checkout they gave us the option of charging our credit card in yuan or dollars. We chose yuan since we have a no-foreign-transaction-fee card and saved over $100.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We keep a long distance card for calling outside of the country.

We were on the phone to Buenos Aires for 15 minutes or so. Used up 50 cents of time on the card but saved $200. We did our trip planning with a South African company by skype. Worked like a charm.

We have booked travel and hotels with UK travel firms. The difference between booking locally and booking direct with the UK was significant...30-40 percent in on instance for a week in Crete.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:23 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Thanks OP.

I've suspected this, but now I know I should try it out before booking something as now I have a no foreign transaction fee CC .
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
The difference between booking locally and booking direct with the UK was significant...30-40 percent in on instance for a week in Crete.
Did you know the difference before calling, or did you settle on a hotel, then call and get a quote? I can call anywhere in the world on my Ooma phone for just a few cents per minute, but haven't tried with hotels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
When we visited China we had booked the hotel in US dollars, but at checkout they gave us the option of charging our credit card in yuan or dollars. We chose yuan since we have a no-foreign-transaction-fee card and saved over $100.
That's a low effort way to save. Given the choice, and without breaking out the calculator, I opt for the local currency because it's rare that the conversion rate they use is as good as the daily rate used by the credit card company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Thanks OP.

I've suspected this, but now I know I should try it out before booking something as now I have a no foreign transaction fee CC .
You're very welcome!! It makes booking travel a bit more trouble, but there's satisfaction in getting a little better deal.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I knew the prices. I have booked on UK websites for air and hotels to Greece from the UK. I have also left messages and had a very large UK TA firm call us back in Canada to clarify an issue. The world is a small place and getting smaller.

One thing that took me a few times to figure out is address. Some web sites ask for your address. They are looking for an EU address. If you use anything else the order will not be processed. So we simply use the address of a European hotel where we are staying for a few days. Just a field on an IT form.
We also have accomodation addresses in the UK, now Spain, and Australia.

The other thing to note is credit cards. I have had MC refused but Visa accepted. I have had one Visa rejected and another accepted. No idea why but if your card gets rejected....try another card!