Join Early Retirement Today

Phoenix Trip Was Fun.........:)
Old 05-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Phoenix Trip Was Fun.........:)

Flew into Phoenix on May 22nd, landed and it was raining and 60 degrees. Lucky me, the first rain in 90 days!!! later it dropped to 57 degrees, and the natives were in winter coats........

We visited DW's aunt, and she took us to a Western theme restaurant called Big Apple something. The food was ok, I think the waitresses wearing guns was the attraction..........

Afterwards we went on a little driving tour of Phoeniz around the South Mountain area, very pretty. It was raining pretty hard so not much we could do.

On Friday, the rain quit, and we took the kids to Rawhide. I guess it used to be in Scottsdale, but got moved to the outer side of town 3 years ago. Due to the weather and the day, there was almost noone there. The kids got to watch a couple gunfights, climb a rock wall, ride a mechanical bull, ride a train, etc. DW found some nice trinkets at the gift shop. That night we took the kids to Applebees in Tempe, and had a little party at a condo that her cousin owns on the backside of South Mountain, opposite from Rustler's Rooste.......

Saturday was scenery day. We decided to drive Arizona 88 and go to the Supersition Mountains. Luckily he had no rain, but it was very wet. We had a great time, and saw Canyon Lake, Apache Lake, and had lunch at Tortilla Flats. Because of all the rain, we were warned that the gravel road to Roosevelt Lake might be blocked, so we drove until the gravel started and turned back. Weaver's Needle was neat to see. On the way back we stopped at the Mammoth Mines Ghost Town for a couple hours. The kids loved that a lot, and I got some great pics with the mountains in the backdrop.........

We got back to Phoenix around 5:30pm, and the kids were restless from being in the rental car so much. So we went to an entertainment park called Fiddlesticks, and the kids got to race go-karts pklany mini-golf, video games, etc. At 8:30 pm we called it a night, and crashed.

Sunday, we had a little birthday party for DW's aunt, who turned 86 yesterday. Her cousin owns a nice house off Rural Road with a pool and grassy back yard. The temp only got to 75, but the kids still went in the pool for quite awhile.......... That night the whole clan went to Rustlers Rooste, where we had some snacks and drinks and took some nice pics of the city.........

We flew back Monday morning. Great flights, both out and back, on US Airways. I would definitely take them again. I took about 250 pics, and am sorting them out. If I figure out how to post them on here, I'll put a few up.

I guess Mother Nature smiled on me, since I am still wearing the full boot Aircast, she kept the temps under 80 for the trip, and today it's supposed to be 102, so I dodged a bullet.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good deal. Sounds like a great time was had by all. Hope my vacation goes as well as yours
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Be sure to post some pics...I can't wait to see them!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you had a good time! Az 88 east of Tortilla Flats (the gravel portion) can be a nightmare even in good weather- part of it is narrow road on side of a cliff with no barricades - probably a good idea you didnt do it.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Sounds like you had a good time! Az 88 east of Tortilla Flats (the gravel portion) can be a nightmare even in good weather- part of it is narrow road on side of a cliff with no barricades - probably a good idea you didnt do it.
Yeah, even though I had a Rav 4 4X4, I decided to turn back. Of course, there were LOTS of Tahoes pulling jetskis screaming down the gravel road..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:12 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to fly round trip from Austin to Phoenix for about $75 on Southwest ar America West, but that's been awhile ago. I lived in & near Austin, with a girlfriend in Phoenix and we both went back & forth frequently. Lot of stuff to see & do there, and it's an easy drive over to CA which of course has plenty to offer for fun as well. Haven't been to PHX in a few years now, but I've driven from Shreveport to Tucson about a dozen times in the last 9 years on work-related business. Of course I could fly, but I really enjoy the 1150 mile drive through mostly desert. Nice & peaceful, plenty of time to daydream about my impending retirement! Although I technically can retire in 4 1/2 years, I've got a couple of applications out there, and have gotten referrals for positions in several locations, one of which is Tucson. So......we'll see what happens. If I could get that position I've applied for, even though for only 4-5 yrs, it would increase my pension a good bit. I've gotta work somewhere for that last few years, might as well get paid more for it! Plus, I'm about due for a change in scenery.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote