Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2015, 06:48 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spent most of my career travelling (4,000,000 miles on one airline), but with the qualifier of "unlikely to return" I'd say Singapore, Thailand, Christmas Island, Kwajalein, Russia and Scotland.

I still visit Japan (my favorite place) and have friends in Europe that we visit regularly.

Spent months in all of the above; all beautiful, exotic and loved it, but unlikely to return.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Hallstatt Austria - breathtakingly pretty

Sedona Arizona - the red rock canyons are completely different

The north side of Maui during a high surf warning. I was taken back by the beauty and violence of the Pacific Ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 08-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #43

The Adirondaks: Hiking, Climbing, Camping, Canoeing, Fishing...

15 years of love, with every possible weekend spent exploring the 6 million acres... Alone, or with DW, best friend, 4 sons, and my Boy Scout Troop. From 1966 to 1981... it was at a time when the mountains were still pristine, and you could hike and climb a mountain... camp out at the summit, and never see another person along the way. Many 5 day canoe trips on the chain of lakes, from Old Forge to Big Tupper... nights spent in Adirondak Shelters, and exploring the small tributaries and connected lakes.

Starlit nights with no glow from human activity anywhere on the horizon.

Unforgettable!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adirondack Shelter.jpg (458.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-19-2015, 08:17 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Probably won't go back to: Morocco. Very interesting and enjoyable in the Medina of Fez but learned enough of oppressed peoples to never return.
Roatan. Enjoyed the diving but the sand fleas are enough for me to not return.
Belize. Same as Roatan but diving not as good.
Bonaire. Definitely will return.
Still traveling throughout the states.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #45

One place I'm glad I went to, (August 1963), is Quetta, Pakistan, up near the Afghan border.......and it's one place I know I'll never get to, or want to go to, again:

Quetta: Pakistan's Mysterious City With Ties to Taliban

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well I'm glad I went to South Africa. Loved the bush, met interesting people. No freaking way I'm going back to Johannesburg or Capetown ever again.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

My only international travel (aside from Mexico and Paradise Island) was Japan. No desire to go back.

I do hope to make one visit to Europe; yeah, I know, big place! But I expect most of my future travel will be in North America. Just don't need the hassle and expense...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Well I'm glad I went to South Africa. Loved the bush, met interesting people. No freaking way I'm going back to Johannesburg or Capetown ever again.
Walked around Jozi in 1983; went down to a Zulu "witchdoctor's" shop.....my late wife & I were the only whites we encountered....not even a glare from anyone.....nowadays, from what I hear, we likely wouldn't have made it back. Sad.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
The Adirondaks: Hiking, Climbing, Camping, Canoeing, Fishing...

15 years of love, with every possible weekend spent exploring the 6 million acres... Alone, or with DW, best friend, 4 sons, and my Boy Scout Troop. From 1966 to 1981... it was at a time when the mountains were still pristine, and you could hike and climb a mountain... camp out at the summit, and never see another person along the way. Many 5 day canoe trips on the chain of lakes, from Old Forge to Big Tupper... nights spent in Adirondak Shelters, and exploring the small tributaries and connected lakes.

Starlit nights with no glow from human activity anywhere on the horizon.

Unforgettable!
Nice photo of the log shelter. I stayed at Long Lake several times, tent camping but using the shelter as a place to keep things dry and be safe during storms. I was at Long Lake when a microburst caused a massive tree blowdown in the late nineties. Several campers lost their lives in that.
It was the last time I camped. Mother Nature got my attention big time.
I will be going to Old Forge for a few days sometime in September. Once the summer hordes leave, I can have my pick of accommodations at a very good post-Labor Day price.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #50
Administrator

Places you've been, glad you went....and are OK if you never make it back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
....and are OK if you never make it back there.

So I am thinking of a pleasant, world-view-broadening experience, but one you can accept that time and budget and other places yet unseen will likely preclude a return.

GO!

(For me: Singapore, Japan (all of it), Loch Ness, Tucson, Banff, just to throw a few out there....)
For me, everyplace I have been in the entire world, outside of SE Louisiana, falls in that category. I did a lot of traveling as a young girl (none of it my idea), and then had to travel for work.

Right now I am getting tremendous satisfaction from staying at home, especially now that I have moved into my "dream home". We haven't even been out of the Parish (=county) since 2012 when we had to evacuate for Hurricane Isaac.

I love my home and get tremendous satisfaction out of spending my time here, where everything is just as I want it and life is peaceful and predictable. I have had an exciting life, but also there's a lot to be said for peaceful and predictable.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Curious to know some of the reasons folks said only that they visited a spot but would never go back.

Was it enjoyable at all? Or nothing special? Or something horrid?

Been to Japan twice (Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, Shimane Prefecture, Kanazawa) - absolutely loved it, very enjoyable, but you only live once (hahaha), so off to other places.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Great responses everybody! Entertaining and insightful (and some humor to boot!).....
Old 08-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Curious to know some of the reasons folks said only that they visited a spot but would never go back.

Was it enjoyable at all? Or nothing special? Or something horrid?

Been to Japan twice (Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, Shimane Prefecture, Kanazawa) - absolutely loved it, very enjoyable, but you only live once (hahaha), so off to other places.
As the OP, I was thinking of those spots that you enjoyed and learned from, but you think you've personally absorbed the "critical mass" of what it has to offer you (if that makes sense). So the next time would only be, say, 50% as rich an experience as the first one. lol I know this is vague and subjective.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
So the next time would only be, say, 50% as rich an experience as the first one.
Diminishing marginal utility.

Since, from my experience(s), places usually get worse rather than better, returns are often/generally somewhat disappointing - we'll be in Dubrovnik in November, and it's been around 28 years since I was previously there; but it's on the itinerary and I'd like DW to see it......although I'm preparing myself for the feeling of "Geez, it wasn't like this before".

(One place I would go back to, and I've been there three times in the past 55 years, is Sri Lanka.......again, I'd like DW to see it, but I'd also like to take another look myself.)

Old 08-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #55

One more : Disneyland. Two times is one too many.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #56

umm... add this one:

Nikko... in winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toshugo.jpg (87.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
I think once was too many for me.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I think once was too many for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
I have never been and I still don't want to go back.

We took our younger daughter to Orlando when she was in high school and took her photo in front of the entrances to several theme parks. She put them all up on a bulletin board for her high school graduation party labeled, "Places I haven't been."
Old 08-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Egypt... went twice and will never go back...

With the turmoil today there, I would not even go if someone paid for the whole trip...

I have not been, but know of people who have.... India... one guy who has been to over 100 countries said he could not get out of there fast enough... not sure if I will ever go...
We went to India on a Road Scholar tour two years ago and would happily do that again. It made me appreciate the living conditions in the US and wonder at the resilience of the poor.

Machu Picchu was another Road Scholar trip. I recommend doing that as young as finances and time permits as both the elevation and the 'walking' conditions will tax many.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Tough, interesting premise. Most places I've been and enjoyed (would be a long list), I would go back. Only ones I can think of that I thought were worth it but I wouldn't go back:
  • Niagara Falls, worth it once.
  • Las Vegas
  • Memphis
  • Houston
  • Most of Florida
  • Grand Canyon, definitely once though.
  • Okinawa
  • Vietnam
...still thinking

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote