Join Early Retirement Today

Thumbs down
Old 08-19-2015, 10:07 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thumbs down

The absolute top of my list to never go back to see again is Los Angeles, without a doubt. Even an all expenses paid first class round trip couldn't get me back there. New York City would be next on my list to never go see again, but I would go for an all expense paid trip. (Maybe)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Talk about revisiting a place, it's one thing to say you have been to a tourist spot, or a city like Las Vegas and have seen enough, but how can you say the same about a state, or a country like Canada, or France, and many others?

I have been to the Western states (CA, OR, WA) so many times I lost count, but in the last few years, traveling by an RV allows me to take the back road and go to places that I did not get a chance to visit when doing fly-and-drive vacation trips when still working. And I still like to read full-time RV'er blogs, some of them go to places that I do not think of.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:39 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Diminishing marginal utility.

Since, from my experience(s), places usually get worse rather than better, returns are often/generally somewhat disappointing - we'll be in Dubrovnik in November, and it's been around 28 years since I was previously there; but it's on the itinerary and I'd like DW to see it......although I'm preparing myself for the feeling of "Geez, it wasn't like this before".
28 years ago was before the Serbian War, during which Dubrovnik was heavily shelled for several months. Much of the old walled city is now a tourist trap Dubrovnyland, but it is worth a trip to the war museum at the top of the cable car. Fascinating, sobering and altogether too recent to easily shake off.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:39 AM   #64

Disneyworld/Orlando was the first thing that came to mind.
Probably add to that the Corn Palace in Mitchell, S.D.

Both are worth seeing once.... but I have no desire to see them again.

As far as outside the US:
Prague (just spent 3 days there)... I enjoyed it but don't need to return.

Okinawa - spent a summer there in College (sister was a contractor there and it was my first foreign travel outside of North America.) It was a great summer and as a non-military person I probably had a different perspective... Learned to scuba and explored the local beaches... but 1 summer was enough, no need to go back.

There are a few cities on my current trip that I probably won't return to, but circumstances may put them on my list again.

Now if the question were what places do you WANT to go... my list is pretty long.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:54 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
28 years ago was before the Serbian War, during which Dubrovnik was heavily shelled for several months. Much of the old walled city is now a tourist trap Dubrovnyland, but it is worth a trip to the war museum at the top of the cable car. Fascinating, sobering and altogether too recent to easily shake off.
Yes, my late wife & I were there before the collapse of Yugoslavia........no cable car either.....have pics of the view of the city from the outlook, but, (we had a rental car picked up in Belgrade and dropped off in Zagreb), I'm damned if I can remember if we walked up or drove up.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:44 AM   #66

I've seen Disney in Orlando too many times to bother going back.

Saw 3 USSR cities and Poland when I was 18. Trip of a lifetime, no desire to go back.

Maine, and parts of Canada on a fall colors cruise. Not very interesting.

There are too many places I haven't been to go back to places over and over again. Except the western US national parks and Hawaii. And British Columbia.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

When I visited Portland, OR a few years ago, I hardly set foot in the actual city. Drive the old Columbia River highway and Mt. Hood loop, drove to the coast, then spent the last day hiking in The arboretum and Forest Park area. Visiting a "city" seems uninteresting to me...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Actually the arboretum and Forest Park are in the city. We love our parks.

Come back again to the Pacific Northwest after this drought has run its course.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Just did Italy and Greece in May. A trip of a lifetime. Stayed away from all the major tourist traps and it was awesome.

I'm a huge fan of the Carribbean. Have done Grand Cayman, a couple Bahamas, Nevis, headed to St Marteen and Anguilla in January. Will do St Thomas and St Johns in 2017

Also love Baja. Cabo is great, Puerto Vallarta, Zihuatanejo.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Actually the arboretum and Forest Park are in the city. We love our parks.

Come back again to the Pacific Northwest after this drought has run its course.

True that, but never ventured into the "downtown" area. Probably missed some nice foodie/coffee places, and maybe some ambience, but was quite content to enjoy the scenery. Was there in 2012. No rain that weekend!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Talk about revisiting a place, it's one thing to say you have been to a tourist spot, or a city like Las Vegas and have seen enough, but how can you say the same about a state, or a country like Canada, or France, and many others?
Easy, that's why I did. Daw and I lived in FL for 3 years and got to see most of it. Enjoyed some of it once, but we'd be perfectly happy to never go back. I realize some/many people love FL, so YMMV...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #72

The Taj Mahal. I went there with 3 colleagues who lived in Delhi but had never been there, either. Heck, even the drive up was an experience. Smoke from refuse fires misting over the fields, one town where a guy offered to let me pose for a picture with his pet monkey (not sure how many rupees he'd have wanted), areas that probably hadn't changed much over a few centuries. I still have the pictures on my iPod, and that was 2006. Once is enough, though.

One experience I repeated and I'm VERY glad I did: snorkeling in Alaska. The first time my wet suit may have been a little too loose, so my body was unable to warm up the layer of water between my skin and the suit. I also hadn't asked about rues and was practically afraid to touch anything. I think it may also have been cloudy. We took the same cruise 2 years later. Suit fit better so I stayed a little warmer, it was sunny so I saw more in the water, and I'd found out it was OK to gently part the weeds and poke around. I'm glad I gave it a second try!
Old 08-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Easy, that's why I did. Daw and I lived in FL for 3 years and got to see most of it. Enjoyed some of it once, but we'd be perfectly happy to never go back. I realize some/many people love FL, so YMMV...
If you live in a state for 3 years, yeah, you most likely do not miss much.

I was talking about people who go to a country like Canada once or twice, and think they have seen enough. France is more than just Paris and the Eiffel tower, oui? Same with most other countries.

I think if a tourist just goes to a well-worn touristy spot that's representative of a place and thinks that's all there is to it, then surely he sees no need to come back. On the other hand, if you are a true traveler and spend the time to get more into local cultures, explore the countryside and nature, you will see that a week stay or even two only lets you scratch the surface.

Here's an example of better travelers. I read the blog of "Kevin and Ruth". This Canadian couple spends a lot of time exploring a place, takes the time to hike a trail, goes to some corners and small towns, talks to the locals. They are not the typical tourists who sign up for a whirlwind tour of 4 European countries in a week.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #74

I think I could safely say that I'd not return to Mongolia. It is breathtaking, exotic, and friendly, but having been twice, that is probably enough.

Likewise, though I get a lot of mileage out of complaining about Kazakhstan, I'd probably not return. Though Kyrgyzstan is a little bit more tempting. The Lake Issykul area and stunning mountains certainly got only barely passing notice on our one and only trip.

Places I long to see again: Peru, British Columbia, Colorado Rockies, Belize, New Zealand.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Once was enough:
Gran Canaria - if I had thought it through ahead of time I would have realized it was not my kind of vacation spot, but I was living in Europe at the time and wanted to go somewhere warm in November....
Las Vegas - glad it was a work trip so I didn't have to pay for it

If I like a place I don't mind going many, many times. In fact, my dream is to rent apartments in my favorite European cities for 3 to 6 months at a stretch. First on my list, Munich, I have been there several times and I love it just as much if not more each time I go.