Planning 5 weeks in Italy, need advice

I always get an international driving permit. It only lasts a year, but it's not expensive.

However, I've never actually needed to use it. I use my US driver's license and it's never been an issue. But then again, I've never been pulled over or in an accident. I figure for the potential to ruin a day, for $20 it's cheap insurance. I'd hate to run across the official that wasn't happy with only my US license.

And officially, many of the places I visit require an international drivers permit. So it's my fault if I don't have it, even though nobody has asked for it (yet).

I will get an international permit at the Auto Club, they just give some translations of what is on your license, but better to have it than not.

Some time ago I was pulled over for speeding in Turkey (I was not going fast, but I guess over the posted limit). Those flashing red lights in the rear view mirror had me a bit worried, had never been pulled over in a foreign country before.

I pulled over and the officer came up to the window, he said something, I don't really know what it was since I don't speak Turkish, but I gave him my California drivers license. They seemed to be a bit perplexed and curious about what it was, maybe they didn't realize that in the U.S. it is the states that issue licenses. I had my passport with me, in case they asked me, but wanted to see what they would do with the license first.

After a short while he came back to my window and it was clear to me I was going too fast and that I had to pay them a fine. They told me the amount, but not knowing the language (only a few words) or understanding the money (a lot of zeros), I gave them what turned out to be 1/10 of what I owed. They looked at me kind of puzzled, but I guess then realized that I was not trying to be difficult, was just a stupid American tourist.

Luckily I had enough cash with me and paid the fine right then and there, for which they gave me an official looking receipt.

So from now on when I drive a car in a foreign country, I will have an international license, and enough cash. :)

They seemed to be a bit perplexed and curious about what it was, maybe they didn't realize that in the U.S. it is the states that issue licenses.

1966....driving in the US with an Australian licence, got pulled over, (with a multitude of other vehicles), in a roadblock, (could've been NY or PA); handed over my State of Victoria permit, only to have two troopers thumb through a large book of US states vainly looking for it.

Further explanations were necessarily forthcoming. :LOL:

Same here in Turkey. Drifted through a red light on a smallish street in Antalya while looking for something. Cop was great. Did not even ask for a license, international lic. Just shrugged, told me to be careful. Lucky.
I have an international license from the auto club and it does not have an expirey date. Never once been asked for it by any rental agency in Europe over what must be 50 plus rentals.

One thing just came to mind, probably to late to do you much good.

Watch out for the toilet surprise. Toilets in Italy can be down right awful. Often there is just the bowl, not even a seat. And they can be hard to find. Usually you must buy a drink, even the cheapest espresso will do, before you can use a toilet in a bar or ristorante. Pay toilets are worth the euro or so that they cost.

My favorite ristorante in Italy actually has clean bathrooms, hot water, soap and even little individual hand towels. The ladies in our group were overwhelmed, almost to the point of tears, when they found that descent restroom.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom