Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I've never visited the Shiner brewery (it's probably interesting) but I have drank their beer. (Once) With the exception of Budweiser there is nothing quite as bad.
Try the Shiner Bock...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Try the Shiner Bock...
+1

If that doesn't do it you might want to look at having your taste buds refurbished.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the "suggestions" but my days of experimenting with beers is long gone. Texas has a lot of really great things, but I'll stick with Corona Light from Mexico or Tiger beer, preferably from the Singapore brewery. Took me years to work my way down to these two.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Enjoyed our 8 years in Texas. Hill country and winery tours were a blast!
Old 01-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've never visited the Shiner brewery (it's probably interesting) but I have drank their beer. (Once) With the exception of Budweiser there is nothing quite as bad.
No offense, sir, but you are not a Texan if you don't like Shiner.

I'm glad we are finally able to get kegs of it up here in the 83702.

OP: coast is a nice place to start, let me know what you like to do/golf/eat/drink - I lived in TX about 40 years

BH
Old 01-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Not sure what you drank, but Shiner Bock is one of my favorites!

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Bock is good, the related GI issues...well...they only bother the DW
Old 01-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
No offense, sir, but you are not a Texan if you don't like Shiner.

I'm glad we are finally able to get kegs of it up here in the 83702.

OP: coast is a nice place to start, let me know what you like to do/golf/eat/drink - I lived in TX about 40 years

BH
No offense taken, if that's what it takes to be a Texan, I'll pass.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #29

So many areas of Texas are different and interesting! We live in the South Plains (below the panhandle) and travel all over the state. Our favorite areas are the Hill Country, San Antonio, Dallas, Alpine, Marfa and the Big Bend Area and the Coast. However, we have lots of tourists in our South Plains area from Europe, Australia, Canada and South Africa who like the ranching/cowboy culture, Buddy Holly (born here and a museum), and the wide open spaces.

My suggestion is to order the travel magazine or look online at TravelTex - It's like a WHOLE OTHER COUNTRY and see what appeals to you.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No offense taken, if that's what it takes to be a Texan, I'll pass.
1) you like beer, preferably cold, lone star, pearl and shiner (and any TX craft beer)
2) you use the word "ya'll" both singular and plural
3) you consider the rest of the US another country
4) 90% of the music you listen to is by Texans
5) you either love or hate the dallas cowboys
6) the bed of your truck has at least 6 empties and a shovel in it at all times
7) you have a minimum of 6 firearms, at least one is a 12 gauge pump
8) you have memorized the words of 50% of ZZ Top's songs
9) tubing is not done on or near a ski hill
10) when you ski, you wear jeans and a cowboy hat
11) you own a minimum of 6 pair of boots
12) someone in your immediate family works in the energy business
Old 01-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #31
Administrator

I didn't see it mentioned, and it is a bit out of the way, but Palo Duro Canyon State Park (only the Grand Canyon is larger in the USA) is well worth a visit.

We first visited it on our way to Colorado in 2010 and liked it so much that in 2012 we stopped there for a couple of nights to give us the chance of a much better visit. It is near Amarillo

Palo Duro Canyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/palo-duro-canyon
Old 01-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I commute 84 miles RT on I35 (through the DFW Metromess) every day, as others have said avoid this death trap of a highway if at all possible. If you can't be sure to load up on Shiner Bock before trying to drive through (your nerves will thank you*).

* just kidding, I would never recommend drinking and driving. You'll be fine if you can avoid rush hour (6am-9am) and (3pm-6pm).
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I didn't see it mentioned, and it is a bit out of the way, but Palo Duro Canyon State Park (only the Grand Canyon is larger in the USA) is well worth a visit.
I agree. We have camped there twice.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone for your input! I am going to do some research and come back with more questions I am sure. I am really intrigued by The Big Bend area and Palo Duro canyon. It also sounds like a quick visit to San Antonio might be interesting.

A few posters had concerns about possible weather conditions being that I was going to be leaving in February. I will obviously not leave in the middle of a blizzard or ice storm or anything. I plan to put in a hard day the day we leave and get out of the snow belt. I plan to leave with the RV being "dry" and I will stop and put water in it when the temps are high enough not to freeze.

Thanks again!
427Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshort52 View Post
Thanks everyone for your input! I am going to do some research and come back with more questions I am sure. I am really intrigued by The Big Bend area and Palo Duro canyon. It also sounds like a quick visit to San Antonio might be interesting.

A few posters had concerns about possible weather conditions being that I was going to be leaving in February. I will obviously not leave in the middle of a blizzard or ice storm or anything. I plan to put in a hard day the day we leave and get out of the snow belt. I plan to leave with the RV being "dry" and I will stop and put water in it when the temps are high enough not to freeze.

Thanks again!
With Big Bend and Palo Duro it is still possible to get freezes in Feb, you have to be east of San Antonio towards the coast to avoid them. I recall in the hill country early in Feb 8 F and early in march 11 F. So you will have to watch for what is called a Norther which is a cold front sweeping in. Recall that in Big Bend you get up to 7k feet, and Palo Duro is between 2k and 4k feet. Going there requires looking at weather reports in Feb and being flexible in changing plans if need be. I recall being stuck by an ice storm in Van Horn for 2 days in early Nov.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:00 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
I commute 84 miles RT on I35 (through the DFW Metromess) every day, as others have said avoid this death trap of a highway if at all possible. If you can't be sure to load up on Shiner Bock before trying to drive through (your nerves will thank you*).

* just kidding, I would never recommend drinking and driving. You'll be fine if you can avoid rush hour (6am-9am) and (3pm-6pm).

Make that 12AM - 11:59:59PM...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Make that 12AM - 11:59:59PM...
This is one of my favorite Rants: There is no such thing as 12:00am (or 12:00pm, for that matter) -- there is only Noon or Midnight.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
This is one of my favorite Rants: There is no such thing as 12:00am (or 12:00pm, for that matter) -- there is only Noon or Midnight.
Every watch the old fashion wall clocks in a hospital. They skip 1/2 second on the hours so TOD can't be 12:00:00.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thanks again!
Deadshort52, I did respond to your PM about off road driving in Big Bend. Hopefully you got it and it was helpful. Enjoy the trip and drive safely.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #40

Quote:
I am really intrigued by The Big Bend area and Palo Duro canyon. It also sounds like a quick visit to San Antonio might be interesting.
Keep in mind that Texas is huge and there is no quick trip from Palo Duro to Big Bend to San Antonio. I bet it would take 7 hours from each of these locations to any of the others.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote