Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
one more thing since you mentioned Seward.......once you leave Glacier Bay/Icy Strait you'll be in open ocean exposed to all the wonderful Pacific swells. You may be one of fortunate ones who don't get bothered, but, if you don't know you may want to be prepared w/ Dramamine or equivalent. Much easier to prevent the problem than cure it.

Not to scare you but on my one and only cruise recently, most of the people at our table were veteran cruisers. One of them commented that the worst seasickness he ever got was on an Alaskan cruise. In our area, Walmart carries Dramamine much much cheaper than anywhere else. You can get the newer "less drowsy" type which takes a little longer to be effective but then lasts much longer.
Thanks for the heads up. I always take Bonine when I cruise. We hit some really bad stuff last time we came in from Cozumel to Mobile, AL. Salt shakers were sliding off the table, the evening dance show was cancelled for safety reasons, and people were getting sick everywhere. Thankfully I was fine as I was on medicine to proactively!

simple girl
less stuff, more time

(48, married; DH 52. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH will fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
I just checked the Royal Caribbean ships that will be doing Alaska and seems you are looking at the Serenade, Rhapsody, or Radiance. They are all great ships, all in the same class. We did the Southern Caribbean in Jan. of this year on the Serenade. The cruise staff and activities on board were first class, the food and cabin were both outstanding. We have also been on the other two, but that was a few years ago. The price you quoted seems good.

Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
DW and I are going in June. Maybe we will run into you
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
We did the Holland America cruise/tour #3 last August on MS Ryndam; left Vancouver on 08/23; three day at sea northbound through the Inland Passage, then 10 days basically tracing the route of the gold miners northbound through BC & the Yukon, then back into AK winding up in Anchorage. Then rented a car & took 5 days to see the Kenai Peninsula (Seward, Whittier, Coopers Landing, Homer Spit) before flying out of ANC. By late Aug/early Sep things were actually starting to close for the season; something to keep in mind when you plan dates. We had no issues, but a week later we would have started to see restaurants/lodges closing for the winter.

Take Ziggy29's warnings about reveille at zero-dark-thirty, into the motorcoach @ 7:30-8am very seriously - 'tis all true. And some very long days travelling from place to place. Distances in Ak are very long, and many of the roads are not freeway level - or even paved back in the bush. It's what happens if you want to see everything. If that's not your cuppa, think about another way to see Alaska.

But for us it was definitely not like w*rk; it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see things we'll never see again, and I would not trade the sleeplessness & aching joints for anything. You'll ride a narrow-gauge train over the mountains toward Dawson City, a large jet boat down the Yukon River to Eagle AK (check its daytime temps this time of year!), two observation-car Alaska RR trains (on refurbished HAL cars) into & out of Denali, a school-bus into Denali to see if you can see the mountain (we saw ~80% below the clouds), and walk a lot.

There are a lot of ways to see AK; friends stayed on the ship & did the RT to/from Vancouver. They had a great time. Different strokes...

Just enjoy however you see AK; it's worth it.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be crazy by those who could not hear the music. Friedrich Nietzsche.
OldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote