Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Planning to take a long cross country drive next month
Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Planning to take a long cross country drive next month

We're planning to take a long cross country drive next month and visit all our friends and relatives along the way. I will be sending my car to the garage for a complete maintenance check prior to starting. Do we need to add anything to our auto insurance policy? We currently have a liability/ comprehensive/ collision insurance on our car. Am I right in assuming that my car would be covered for any damages outside AZ as well, or is this something I need to confirm from the car insurance company?
brodericknemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodericknemeth View Post
We're planning to take a long cross country drive next month and visit all our friends and relatives along the way. I will be sending my car to the garage for a complete maintenance check prior to starting. Do we need to add anything to our auto insurance policy? We currently have a liability/ comprehensive/ collision insurance on our car. Am I right in assuming that my car would be covered for any damages outside AZ as well, or is this something I need to confirm from the car insurance company?
Welcome to the forum. Interesting first post.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome but I think you have the wrong forum. Maybe try the AAA forum.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Welcome but I think you have the wrong forum. Maybe try the AAA forum.
sounds like a legitimate question in the travel section

but I am new here and I don't know the culture here

is it normal to send new people elsewhere (AAA forum?) or blow bubbles when they are seeking this kind of information?

alternatively, why not just let the thread die?

just wondering about how people get treated here so I can decide whether I want to stay and participate
Thingamajigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:47 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingamajigger View Post
sounds like a legitimate question in the travel section

but I am new here and I don't know the culture here

is it normal to send new people elsewhere (AAA forum?) or blow bubbles when they are seeking this kind of information?

alternatively, why not just let the thread die?

just wondering about how people get treated here so I can decide whether I want to stay and participate
Yikes! I quite agree. I am, also, (relatively) new here and I haven't seen this kind of censorship before. On the other hand, I have had my struggles with understanding the subleties of this Forum so am probably way off-base again.

Anyway, I have never heard of Auto Insurance being confined to a single state... at least, not without being specific to that coverage. But if I was concerned about it, I would, definitely, ask the agent/agency that sold me the policy.

In any event, I am curious to know if this is a real concern or not... both issues.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:32 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Probably not enough replies here yet to judge the reception. This is certainly not the "Millionaire Mommy Next Door".

*Maybe* OP should have called their agent, or started out their first post by saying "I just FIREd, and am taking a trip." And maybe somebody's Spidey sense is going off. Too early to tell, IMHO.
Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:54 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Probably not enough replies here yet to judge the reception. This is certainly not the "Millionaire Mommy Next Door".

*Maybe* OP should have called their agent, or started out their first post by saying "I just FIREd, and am taking a trip." And maybe somebody's Spidey sense is going off. Too early to tell, IMHO.
if that smug smiley in your post represents the culture of this forum, it says a lot (I sense a lot of effort here being put forth to get some kind of pleasure from being disrespectful)

since I am new, I will give this place a little more time to see if it warrants my trouble or time
Old 12-28-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll give this place a little more time to see if it warrants my trouble or time
For sure, perseverance is required. IIRC, it took about a hundred posts before I was, uh... either ignored or tolerated -- still not sure which. (I didn't even, for example, know what a Troll was until, after the third accusation, I looked it up.)

In any event, this place is very special and (IMHO) worth the effort needed to enjoy a long-term relationship. Don't give up without a fight.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:14 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
For sure, perseverance is required. IIRC, it took about a hundred posts before I was, uh... either ignored or tolerated -- still not sure which. (I didn't even, for example, know what a Troll was until, after the third accusation, I looked it up.)

In any event, this place is very special and (IMHO) worth the effort needed to enjoy a long-term relationship. Don't give up without a fight.
thanks for the words of encouragement
I am not new to internet forums (just this site)
and I won't be swayed by individual bullies
but I am looking to see what the overall tone is here
I won't tolerate a culture of arrogance or disrespect
if people tend to be kind and respectful, then I might stick around
Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #10

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your road trip.

Since you are driving your personal car, my first take is it would be covered under your auto policy.

I've seen rental car policies limit where you can drive and limit coverage, especially to Mexico, but that's published in the rental agreement.

Just to be safe, call your agent. If you're retired, mention that you'll be only pleasure driving and your overall annual mileage should reduce (if that is truly the case) and see if a discount is available.

On a side note, if you don't have auto club membership like AAA, before your trip, you might want to investigate that service via your auto insurance, cell phone carrier, etc. You can always cancel after your trip.

Side note - check your cell phone coverage and minutes package too. Also, check out restaurant.com for dining coupons. They run promotions regularly for 80% off face value. YMMV.

Quote:
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I won't tolerate a culture of arrogance or disrespect
if people tend to be kind and respectful, then I might stick around
Oh! I didn't mean to imply there was any arrogance and/or disrepect in the Forum's treatment of me. That is, certainly, not the case. Suspicion of strangers is a more apropo description. Most (close to all) of the members are both kind and respectful (unless blatently provoked) -- in my experience.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:37 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
if that smug smiley in your post represents the culture of this forum, it says a lot (I sense a lot of effort here being put forth to get some kind of pleasure from being disrespectful)

since I am new, I will give this place a little more time to see if it warrants my trouble or time
Sometimes a would-be spammer is preceded by a shill, who ingratiates himself with a few innocuous posts and then helps out the spammer when he arrives.

And sometimes appearances are just deceiving. We'l find out within a few days, I imagine.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Apologies - the smiley was not meant to be smug. I thought I was covering both "sides" (if there were two, which I'm not even sure of) and trying to keep it light with a "regular" smile.
Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Sometimes a would-be spammer is preceded by a shill, who ingratiates himself with a few innocuous posts and then helps out the spammer when he arrives.

And sometimes appearances are just deceiving. We'l find out within a few days, I imagine.
OP's question was about traveling with his car in other states. The answer to his question might seem obvious to a lot of people or misplaced in this forum. But I don't think he deserved any disrespect and I hardly find him to be a shill.

I am often surprised when people take so much time to respond in a non-responsive way. First impressions can be deceiving, so I guess I'll find out more about this forum in few days, I imagine.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Welcome to the site.

I would give your agent a call but I doubt there will be any problems. If you leave the country you'll definitely need to let them know. When we drove into Canada earlier this year I called a few weeks ahead of time and they sent me an extra insurance card, at no cost, specifically for Canada.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:30 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

This question has never even occurred to me and I drive all over the country.
Sure, you should be covered.

For some more details: Will My Auto Insurance Cover Me If I'm in an Accident Out of State?

Out of the country is a different issue.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
On a side note, if you don't have auto club membership like AAA, before your trip, you might want to investigate that service via your auto insurance, cell phone carrier, etc. You can always cancel after your trip.

Side note - check your cell phone coverage and minutes package too. Also, check out restaurant.com for dining coupons. They run promotions regularly for 80% off face value. YMMV.
Both excellent ideas for a long cross country trip along with installing "Yelp.com" on your phone if you can. It can help you find a lot of services in an unfamiliar area.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Most, if not all car policies cover the CAR, not the state the car is in.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

It would also be a good idea to understand how your medical plan works when you are out of your "home" area.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

Interesting that there have been no follow-up posts from the OP...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote