Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm not sure if I can go along with this. I think savers are still saving, sucking it in even tighter.
At least those who don't have a rock-solid income stream which they don't fear losing.

You're describing my household situation pretty well here -- we're still saving as much as before (maybe even more), because we're spending less since I have no pretense of job security, and losing a job in this market could mean a year or two of searching... assuming you don't give up completely.

Sure, if I had rock-solid job security it would be easier to "live for today" more than I do, or if I were retired and had what I considered to be a secure COLA'd income stream the same would be true as well. But in this economy, if you don't have those things, even the savers have reason to think they need to save even more.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not sure if I can go along with this. I think savers are still saving, sucking it in even tighter. And spenders just don't know how to not be spenders, so they are going even deeper into debt, or at least not adjusting their spending in ways that most of us tightwads would see as positive. My evidence is also anecdotal, based on a couple of things like my buddy who has very little in the wau of retirement savings blowing this year's bonus on a new motorcycle. Oh well, at least he got a bonus.
I think most of the savers in the population at large aren't the hard core LBYM'ers that we are here at this forum. The savers still spend money, just they spend less than 100% of their income (ie don't incur consumer debt to finance their spending). They still have disposable income to spend on travel if they want.

The spenders had a good run, but are now like drunks cut off at the bar. Banks aren't refinancing their houses. Credit cards are harder to get and credit lines are lower. They don't have easy credit and inflating house prices enabling their heavy spending habits. It isn't that they choose to spend a lot less, as much as they have no other choice but to spend less. When the credit cards are maxed out, you can't refinance, and all your cash goes towards debt service and keeping the repo/foreclosure man away, you aren't able to spend much on discretionary items.

Clearly these are two polar opposites and plenty of folks fall in between. But for a lot of heavy spenders, they are waking up to the reality that they just can't spend anymore money because they are cut off.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Clearly these are two polar opposites and plenty of folks fall in between. But for a lot of heavy spenders, they are waking up to the reality that they just can't spend anymore money because they are cut off.
Certainly for the out-of-control borrowers and spenders, the party's beyond over.

But even a lot of hard-core, heavy savers aren't convinced they are going to be able to weather the entirety of this economic storm without cutting back. Yes, the worst-case outcome for the spenders will be a lot worse than for the savers, but savers by their nature tend to be economically cautious and conservative about their spending habits, and a bad economy could convince them that they can forego luxuries for a couple years until they are feeling more secure about the future again.

So in reality, the only "what me worry" camp I see left are those with very secure and sufficient income streams, those who don't feel the need to accumulate enough cash to survive the economic equivalent of a nuclear event.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yes, the worst-case outcome for the spenders will be a lot worse than for the savers, but savers by their nature tend to be economically cautious and conservative about their spending habits, and a bad economy could convince them that they can forego luxuries for a couple years until they are feeling more secure about the future again.
I agree - the difference is in the interpretation. Most people have been scared and have been saving for 2-3 years now. They have foregone the luxuries to some extent. They have been saving and fortifying the emergency fund. But a lot of people are getting cabin fever, or realizing that this is the new reality. They can either keep saving more and more, or just get back to living life.

Most folks don't plan and save like we do here. They see themselves getting older, their kids growing up, and they want to experience things and buy things now for themselves and for their children.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

By posting right after Ha's linked article, I caused an inference that the Bloomberd article claimed that a new RV record sales was reached. That is not true at all. The author simply pointed out that RV sales had rebounded from a low. I should add that although Thor sales went up 50% from its low, a contribution factor may be that many of its competitors had gone bankrupt. I don't think anyone would expect a new sales record to be reached anytime soon, if ever.

This RV sales number may be another interesting data point for the dirty market timers some portfolio rebalancers to consider in their selling rebalance criteria.

Quote:
These types of statistics (lies, damn lies, and...) drive me nuts! So, 51% over last year. Was last year down 20% from the year before? Or 200%? Where's the 10 year rolling average? Aargh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
It could be that, or that folks who gave up their homes need a place to live, and had enough credit to get an RV. Makes it much tought to repo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Most RVs cost more than my house...
The article did point out that recent RV sales tended to be of the travel trailer types, which cost less than motor homes.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Well as you know, The Jones Act requires foreign operated vessels carrying US passengers between US ports to make at least one stop at a "distant" port.

Therefore cruises will make at least one stop in Canada before getting to Alaska. Usually they stop at Victoria Island.
Victoria Island is in the high arctic. The city of Victoria on Vancouver Island is one port, but as my links illustrated, there are others such as Nanaimo, Campbell River, and even Vancouver. Customs clearance for day trippers is much simpler.