Join Early Retirement Today

Pre-shipping luggage? Is it worth it?
Old 12-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pre-shipping luggage? Is it worth it?

I just booked a domestic flight for the spring to go visit some friends for about a month. I've done a fair amount of business travel over the past few years so I know about the various fees that the airlines have been tacking on to travelers.

When I got the flight confirmation, I see that the baggage charge is $25 for the first checked bag, $35 for each extra bag. I'm wondering if it is worth it to consider pre-shipping the luggage via FedEx or UPS. Has anyone any experience with this? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

what airline? often there are frequent flier programs to get one traveler 1 or 2 bags

Old 12-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You are taking too much luggage if you have more than carryon.

I'm sure your friends will let you wash your clothes. Or you can buy new clothes. Even hotels have laundromats nowadays ... about $4 to wash and dry a load.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphx View Post
what airline? often there are frequent flier programs to get one traveler 1 or 2 bags
It's American Airlines (who, last I heard, are going bankrupt). A little further research makes me think that pre-shipping is prohibitively expensive, so I guess the solution is to pack lighter and tighter. And maybe sign up for another frequent flier program as you say
Old 12-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did some checking into freight for my daughter who recently moved to out of state and left things behind at my home. "Bus Freight" seems to be one of the lower cost ways to ship things like additional suitcases.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #6

I only fly Southwest, no fees for luggage.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #7

A month is a long visit. You can ship one box of clothes and stuff you need via FedEx ground for around $20, takes 3-4 days to arrive. The box can be bought at Office Depot for $3.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I think shipping a box of clothes makes a lot of sense. That an a good sized carry-on to get you through to when the clothes arrive and you should be all set.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
A month is a long visit. You can ship one box of clothes and stuff you need via FedEx ground for around $20, takes 3-4 days to arrive. The box can be bought at Office Depot for $3.
X 2 to ship excess clothes home, but it probably makes a lot of sense. I've never been on a trip (involving air travel) longer than 12 days, new territory. And I plan on laundry for anything more than a week. YMMV

Retired Jun 2011 at age 57
Target AA: 55% equity funds / 40% bond funds / 5% cash
approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Target WR: approx 2.5%
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #10

I make several trips a year to our condo in Phoenix - only take a carry-on. Sometimes I UPS myself other stuff- send boxes from my office in Illinois to the UPS store a block away from my condo. I call them to make sure I can still do it, then send the package to "Ronstar" at "UPS Store". I fly to Phoenix, and go pick up my package at the store. I do it this way because I do not want UPS leaving boxes outside my condo door. They also charge a nominal fee per day for holding the packages, but I time the mailing so that the package and I arrive on the same day. I don't know what they charge for shipping because I run it through with the rest of the office UPS mailings. It is a convenient way to get stuff to where you're going without the airport hassles and $.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #11

Thanks for your replies, everyone - very helpful. I may have gotten too high an estimate of the costs earlier so I will look into it again. I still have a few months before taking off, so there should be plenty of time to have a closer look and additional estimates.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

My .02.
I'm good for a Max of two days away from home. After that this trip isn't fun anymore.
I fill a box with the suitcase et al and mail it home the day before departure.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar
I make several trips a year to our condo in Phoenix - only take a carry-on. Sometimes I UPS myself other stuff- send boxes from my office in Illinois to the UPS store a block away from my condo. I call them to make sure I can still do it, then send the package to "Ronstar" at "UPS Store". I fly to Phoenix, and go pick up my package at the store. I do it this way because I do not want UPS leaving boxes outside my condo door. They also charge a nominal fee per day for holding the packages, but I time the mailing so that the package and I arrive on the same day. I don't know what they charge for shipping because I run it through with the rest of the office UPS mailings. It is a convenient way to get stuff to where you're going without the airport hassles and $.
Ronstar, I'm curious why you can't simply leave some of your stuff in the condo. Perhaps you have a timeshare?

I have a fractional ownership of a vacation condo and all items left behind will be removed by the cleaning staff before the next owner arrives. However, each owner has secure storage space and can leave a large rubberized container full of stuff (no food).
Old 12-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Thanks for your replies, everyone - very helpful. I may have gotten too high an estimate of the costs earlier so I will look into it again. I still have a few months before taking off, so there should be plenty of time to have a closer look and additional estimates.
I ship a 12x15x22 box (20-25 lbs)FedEx ground for around $17. That has a 20% discount, so figure $20, plus $3 for the box, means $43 for the round trip. Slightly less expensive that checking in one suitcase each way, holds as much as I need and much more convenient at the airport
Old 12-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I only fly Southwest, no fees for luggage.
+1 - We flew SW to Oregon for Christmas and bags were free and they actually seem to like their customers.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Ronstar, I'm curious why you can't simply leave some of your stuff in the condo. Perhaps you have a timeshare?

I have a fractional ownership of a vacation condo and all items left behind will be removed by the cleaning staff before the next owner arrives. However, each owner has secure storage space and can leave a large rubberized container full of stuff (no food).
Meadbh - Ours is not a timeshare - we're the only owner. Almost everything I sent UPS was a household item - bedding, kitchen stuff, blinds, decorating stuff - everything we needed to set the place up initially. I haven't sent anything in a couple of years. Everything I sent is stuff for the condo and stays at the condo.

Whenever DW is shopping in Illinois and finds something "cute" for the condo, I send it UPS and I pick it up at the UPS store. UPS will not drop off anything at the condo without our signature, and I don't want to wait around all day for a delivery. So I have stuff delivered to the UPS store and I pick it up there.

Since we fly Southwest, DW transfers her clothes via luggage. But I could see sending clothes UPS if Southwest did not have free luggage and it was cost effective.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Clothing- wise, why not visit a thrift store or rummage sale on your trip, and toss your clothes before returning?

Becoming a Great Sight-Reader--Or Not!
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote