Join Early Retirement Today

PriceLine - Anybody Use It?
Old 11-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

PriceLine - Anybody Use It?

Have you used it? Was it worthwhile?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Once on a hotel. No it wasn't.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #3

Just used it in Sedona. Got the hotel for about half the price which is worth it for me.. Two things to be aware of
1) No guarantees on getting a non-smoking room.
2) However, I know that all the resorts in the area are non smoking because I checked out BiddingForTravel.com - Message Board - Yuku. This site gives a lot of tips plus lists of hotels you might get plus winning bids.

Also used it for cars and get about a third off the AAA price at Hertz.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I also use it for hotel and rental cars when I'm confident that I will not need to make any changes. To get cheap airfares we generally require an airport stay at the far end so we can get out early on a red eye flight. I can usually get a high end airport hotel room for around $50, which is less than the extra cost of a later flight.

Hotwire and AARP also can be good for rental car fares.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

We once used it for a four star hotel in Miami in January. Got the hotel for $27 and paid the same to park the car. Was it worth it, you bet. It was a beautiful hotel (wish I could remember the name.) that would have easily been a couple of hundred.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #6

I've used Priceline several times and have been satisfied with the results each time. Best buys have included a really nice hotel in Santa Barbara for $50/night and several days in New York City at a four star hotel, well located, for less than $90/night.

Suggest you visit some of the sites like Search Priceline Bids | Develop Priceline Strategies | Better Bidding for Travel to get an idea of how much/little to bid, etc.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband just got us a four star hotel in San Juan for one night in January (prior to a cruise). He checks the link that Achiever51 gave you. We got the hotel in San Juan for $90, but most hotels in that range are more like $300. Husband had to try several times to get the room that cheap, but his persistance finally paid off.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #8

All the time! I also use the biddingfortravel site to "check" what the going bids are for a certain city - helps a lot.

Be careful - give yourself a few days because you can't do the same bid again without upping the bid and adding locations or changing the dates. You can get caught up and up your bid and end up bidding more than you want.

We use it about 75% of the time for traveling and get a good rate or just below the rack rate every time.

Also use it for rental cars - which come with an insane tax rate, so it doesn't feel cheap, but it is cheaper since the taxes will be charged wherever you rent from.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #9

Well maybe I need to try something more than once All kinds of positive experiences.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I use it all the time . It is especially good for big cities . I've gotten great hotels in Boston for $79.00.( in Back Bay ). I also check with Bidding for travel to check out what bids are winning and what hotels are available . I also check out the Hotwire & Priceline forum . Last year I got a Kimpton hotel in Washington,DC ,huge room , nightly wine ,great location for $79.. I also check out travelzoo . They have some good deals . Occasionally I use Quickbook I got a nice boutique hotel in San Francisco in a great location at a reasonable price . I guess it is obvious I hate to pay full price .
Old 11-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #11

Hmm I just tried to find a rental car for my trip to Connecticut in Dec. I got

We're sorry. Due to constantly changing availability, a car is no longer available for this time and location. Please try changing your location and/or dates.

I bet its nice if you can be flexible.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:31 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like Priceline might be a great way to get some bargains for travel in ER when one has flexibility in timing.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Sounds like Priceline might be a great way to get some bargains for travel in ER when one has flexibility in timing.

I used it a lot while I was working . It's great for trips to big cities . My daughter used it two week-ends ago and got the Hilton in Boston's Back Bay for $69.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #14

Ive never used PriceLine but from what Ive heard, you enter a bid without knowing which hotel you will get. Is this correct? Also, when you bid for a 3 star hotel, who is rating it as a 3 star? Ive seen different ratings for the same hotel at different places.

Lastly, can you bid for a room way in advance or is it only for last minute type deals?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I have used Priceline on many occasions to obtain hotel rooms. Occasionally I use it to get a rental car, and once I used it for airline tickets. I have always had good hotel rooms (three or four star). They use national chains, so I have never had an occasion to say, for example, "this ain't really a three star hotel!"

I have a system I use. First I get a quote from Hotwire, which will show the general discout level for a hotel room in that area by star rating. Then I go to Priceline and try to beat that Hotwire quote by 30 to 40 percent. I game Priceline by starting low, and then adding city areas that I know do not have three or four star hotels (which is all that I use), and increasing my bid by five bucks each time until I get the room.

Sometimes I end up using Hotwire if I don't hit a good price on Priceline. I have always had good experiences with hotel purchases on Hotwire, too.

By the way, you can call the hotel right away after you get it through Priceline and Hotwire, and put in your special request (e.g., King or QUeen). That usually works, but I don't care that much about King or queen.

OhSoClose
Old 11-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Ive never used PriceLine but from what Ive heard, you enter a bid without knowing which hotel you will get. Is this correct? Also, when you bid for a 3 star hotel, who is rating it as a 3 star? Ive seen different ratings for the same hotel at different places.

Lastly, can you bid for a room way in advance or is it only for last minute type deals?
You can bid for it in advance or last minute. YOu can get good deals either way, but I think the best deals are last minute, off-peak.

Understand that you can't expect to get a good deal on either Hotwire or Priceline during peak season. They are discounters, and the travel industry uses them to get rid of excess capacity.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #17

You can use it way ahead of time or last minute, I've done both.

You can often "guess" which 1 or 2 hotels you will get because you'll see the frequent hotels on bidding for travel.

I go up to the bay area in CA once per month and occasionally need a room. I know if I bid about $60 I can get the double tree in Berkeley, if I choose that region or the airport hilton if I choose another region. You pick the star level so that helps give you some security. Once every 5 times or so you can't get a room because of the time of year, holiday or some convention.

I got a 4 star hotel in San Diego for $90 per nite (rack rate was well over $200) for a vacation.

Only other snags is that I found the fancier the hotel (above 3 stars) the more extras you have to pay for - like parking, internet - arg!

The 2.5 star ones are awesome for free wifi and parking, shuttles to airport etc.

I've bid for rooms same day too.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

When my daughter was graduating from Boston University I bid at least six months in advance and got the Park Plaza for $79.00 . You could not find a room under several hundred dollars at the cheapest hotel that week end . So I got a great deal in a perefect location quick taxi ride to the graduation .
Old 12-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #19

Yes! once I got a very nice hotel in Denver for $25/night. Also a hotel in SF in Fisherman's wharf in high season for $70/night.

This site might be helpful
http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/
Old 12-04-2008, 04:49 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

When we ER... I am sure we will be fairly regular customers.

Has anyone used this for cruises? Do you get a discount that is worthwhile?