Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #41
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't worry about traveling in Europe. Europe is very safe compared to most of the world including the US!
I'd like to see that data. Overall murder/crime rate is pretty meaningless if the locals are mainly murdering each other vs. outsiders.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2017, 08:40 PM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
The crisis is getting bigger, closer to civil war.
Let me know when people start attacking each other. That's war.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
The first vote for independence was considered by some to be suspicious, since Spain gov't interfered with it by sending in police to shut down polling stations.

Then the Spanish gov't ordered the arrest of many of the local leaders of the independence movement some of whom were politicians of the local area.

Spain abolished the regional gov't and took over the region.

New elections were ordered to settle the matter and prove all this upset was simply a small group of people, some of whom were arrested or exiled.

The region voted a proper and legal election, and to the Spanish gov't surprise elected a big majority of separatists

Spain's Rajoy rejects ex-Catalan leader's call to meet - CNN

This could make another country to visit for those that are counting countries visited
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:41 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Spain may be a good vacation destination next fall depending on how this plays
out.

We have had some very good vacations to places such as Greece, Turkey, Thailand, and a few others when many tourists were avoiding them.

Crowds were down, prices down, hotels much easier to get. Greece was by far the best one with tourism down about 50 percent when we went.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:15 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I think there was some language in the post-Franco Spanish constitution that would revoke some of the autonomy privileges afforded Catalonia if they declared independence. And that’s part of what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
This could make another country to visit for those that are counting countries visited
The EU is not inclined to get involved at all and the Spain Central government against Catalan independence. I don’t see how another country will be created.

We are still considering traveling in central and southern Spain next year. We visited Barcelona in 2016 and enjoyed it very much in spite of the extreme tourist crowds.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I've lots of anti-tourist graffiti in big European cities. Most is aimed at AirBnB renting apartments to tourists rather than locals.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I've lots of anti-tourist graffiti in big European cities. Most is aimed at AirBnB renting apartments to tourists rather than locals.
There is a lot of anti-AirBnB sentiment here, too, especially down in the Faubourg Marigny (next to the French Quarter). People feel that there is so much of it, that it is breaking up their historic neighborhoods I guess, and turning the Marigny into one big tourist rental conglomerate instead of a neighborhood. For a while the city council was thinking of banning short term rentals like that (which would benefit the big hotels so that's another factor in the mix). But I don't know what ever happened with that and there are still AirBnB's. This is still unresolved AFAIK.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
There is a lot of anti-AirBnB sentiment here, too, especially down in the Faubourg Marigny (next to the French Quarter). People feel that there is so much of it, that it is breaking up their historic neighborhoods I guess, and turning the Marigny into one big tourist rental conglomerate instead of a neighborhood. For a while the city council was thinking of banning short term rentals like that (which would benefit the big hotels so that's another factor in the mix). But I don't know what ever happened with that and there are still AirBnB's. This is still unresolved AFAIK.
My city has decided that Airbnb owners first must get a city business license. They can rent out a room in a home they occupy, but if they rent out the entire place on a short term basis, then they are essentialy running a hotel type business in a area that is zoned residential. In other words, it's illegal.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My city has decided that Airbnb owners first must get a city business license. They can rent out a room in a home they occupy, but if they rent out the entire place on a short term basis, then they are essentialy running a hotel type business in a area that is zoned residential. In other words, it's illegal.
They were talking about doing that here, too, so maybe that was how it was resolved. I think it makes sense.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

So...if a given city has 'X' number of tourists renting studios @ $$, and that's changed to 'X' number of tourists renting rooms @ $, (or cutting their stays short/going elsewhere), doesn't that possibly equate to a drop in revenue for the city?

Where's the upside?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:27 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
So...if a given city has 'X' number of tourists renting studios @ $$, and that's changed to 'X' number of tourists renting rooms @ $, (or cutting their stays short/going elsewhere), doesn't that possibly equate to a drop in revenue for the city?

Where's the upside?
The citizens are not in open rebellion due to their neighborhood being turned into a tourism center.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The citizens are not in open rebellion due to their neighborhood being turned into a tourism center.
First off, perhaps it should be established precisely who is in rebellion, (and how many of them), surely not the people who rent out their rooms/studios for some extra income? Are they not citizens?

Old 12-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #53
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
First off, perhaps it should be established precisely who is in rebellion, (and how many of them), surely not the people who rent out their rooms/studios for some extra income? Are they not citizens?
The restaurants & bars in the area probably aren't in rebellion either.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
The restaurants & bars in the area probably aren't in rebellion either.
Which is why I ask 'who?'. We're all familiar with the bomb chuckers/agitators/perpetually offended, (Monty Python's People's Front of Judea perhaps), who have no personal skin in the game, but who assign themselves a name which makes them appear 'caring', (if you're not paying attention, that is).

And somebody is funding them......not too many years ago, in Toronto, there was this Brit rabble rouser with an 'office', (paid for by whom I don't know, because I'm pretty sure he never held a job), and he riled up the 'protesting classes' about this or that 'cause'.

If you simply looked at the headlines you'd never know there was a small cadre of instigators surrounded by the easily led.

Since we (pretty much always) use airbnb and have never encountered animosity from area residents, I have to ask "Cui bono?", and also "Who Pays?" (the hotel chains perhaps?)

As to graffiti - one person with a spray can can cover a lot of ground walls, and I sincerely doubt that "residents concerned about their neighborhood" would go around defacing it.

Funchal 2017.......everyone else appeared quite happy to see tourists.

I recall the Occupy Wall Street rioters who became quite upset when real homeless people had the audacity to 'invade' their camp and eat their (ordered in) food.

Tags
barcelona, catalonia, riots, spain, tourist